Previous   Next

Are you happy to hear that Sandstone Amphitheater is back?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 24, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’ve only been to a show there when it was Verizon Amphitheater, but I’m interested to see what improvements they make.”

“I’m undecided. I’ll have to see who they get to play there.”

“Sure. It’s been awhile since I’ve gone, but it will be nice to have a place nearby with that type of capacity.”

“Of course. The bigger the venue, the better the shows.”

Comments

Dixie Jones 6 years, 11 months ago

i never knew it wqas gone it was still verizon so whats the big hoopla?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 11 months ago

It's about time they gave it back. Damned alien sanitation scows!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

How many people seriously ever called it "Verizon?"

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

I disagree with Zack; a bigger venue does not necessarily make for a better show. Some bands are better in small venues.

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if any of the other Verizon Amphitheatres have changed their name as well? I know there is one in New Hampshire and another in Indiana.

Actually, I never stopped caling it Sandtone. And yeah, their personnel are a-holes. I had a run in with two of them at the Rush concert last Summer. Complete scmucks!! It was the first time I'd been there since it was called Verizon and I have my doubts that I will ever return, but may if they change their personnel. Except for the way cute guy that checked my purse when we were going in. It was funny to watch his face turn bright red when I disapointingly asked, "What, no cavity search?"

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 11 months ago

Sheesh, "calling it Sandstone." I swear I hate ergonomic keyboards. But what am I going to do, let the tendonitis run unabated?

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

lol absolutely not, A_A! :)

i've never not called it sandstone, either...and oh yeah, if they get someone i really want to see, i'll gladly fork over some cash to get in to a crowded mob scene with overpriced beer and nasty restrooms! :) but maybe that will change?

staff04 6 years, 11 months ago

I never stopped calling it Sandstone when they "re-named" it, and I don't think anyone ever noticed...

july241983 6 years, 11 months ago

I heard it was supposed to be shut down because some German company was going to build a huge water park. I guess that plan is out?

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

july - New Braunfuls, TX (where Schlitterbahn is located) was a big German immigrant destination I believe. Just some trivia for you.

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 11 months ago

Who cares. It doesn't matter what they call it, they'll still book 80-90% derivative-hack-pop-baloney. (I know my musical snobbery is showing a bit ). I saw a few good show there...maybe 13-14 years ago.

P.S. What's the deal with RUSH? I've never understood the appeal, but that isn't what I mean...I had a roommate in college who loved Rush and loved them so much that he had all of their albums...and that is ALL he had. Something like 8-10 cassettes (for you young 'uns that is a funky, crummy precursor to the CD)--all RUSH!

kmat 6 years, 11 months ago

What sucks is that they are tearing out all the seating up front and are creating a standing room only section. There will only be about 4000 actual seats left. I go to a lot of shows, but because I am only 5' tall, I have to have a reserved seat or else I'd never actually see any of these shows. So now Sandstone has limited me to fighting for a few seats they will keep. Completely ignorant move. I've seen shows at the Verizon Ampitheaters in W. Palm Beach and in Irvine, CA and those are real ampitheaters. Sandstone sucked before and it's now going to suck even more with less seating. And bands hate playing there because the idiots designed it so that the stage faces the setting sun and they get blinded while playing there. They need to completely overhaul the place.

denak 6 years, 11 months ago

OMG, this made my day. I can't wait to rub this in my brother's face. A few years ago, a friend and I were complaining about how they change the name,comporate explotation, how they were destroying our youthful memories and that for us, it would always be Sandstone. IT was the place to go for concerts when we were younger. My brother, who obviously didn't care, told us to "get over it because it was Verizon" now and always would be.

I can't wait to tell him this!

Dena

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 11 months ago

It was a lot more fun in the first years it opened. Little seating, but you could bring a lawn chair and your own cooler. You could bring supper if you wanted to.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

kmat, I have you bested by 2 inches, but I'm afraid the world does not care about us "little people." I suggest (at your next concert) wearing a very large obnoxious hat with feathers (pink...or purple) and see how many people notice that their view is interrupted. Somehow, just the thought of that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

ok so why wasn't i informed that yesterday was "national pie day"? hmmph!

nothing to do with the ots question. whatsoever.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

New Braunfels, TX also happens to be the hometown of the lead singer of Sixpence None the Richer. I'm not sure why I remember that.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

blue, it would be okay with me if I didn't hear "Kiss Me" again for a good long while. I think their best album was the one prior to that whole craze.

Fishman 6 years, 11 months ago

Sheds suck especially when it is July or August. I hated it when it was Verizon, and quit going because they were soooooo rude. I saw the bouncers literally beat a guy to a pulp just because after the show was over he tried to get a guitar pick he saw on the other side of the fence. He maybe deserved to be asked to leave, but the poor guy was gushing blood. It was obvious the bouncer very well could have been on something. Normally I would have said something, but I wanted to keep my blood. ItÂ's too bad they are taking out front seating. Starlight is WAY better if you want to see an outdoor show, and at least they have some trees around for shade. When it was windy at Sandstone the sound suffered terribly, and it was too hot too. I quit going after a few shows after Verizon bought it. IÂ'd much rather see someone at Kemper, or Sprint where the sound is better, and you donÂ't have to worry about being either baked or soaked.
Just my dollars worth.

Meatwad 6 years, 11 months ago

I say good for them! Glad to have the name back and maybe the new people running will help turn it around over the next few years, so that the experience of going there is more enjoyable. The way it's been, people feel ripped off and cheated from the moment they purchase their ticket (the surcharges that go on top of the ticket price from ticketmaster AND the promoters and venue are an absolute crime). I say advertise the price for what it actually IS and surcharges should be CAPPED at $3.00. Put the other surcharges into the advertised price, not showing them to us at the end of the transaction. It makes us sick and it makes us not even want to go to concerts anymore. And the food could be improved too. More options for people --- not just those who want to eat junk food, but those who want something healthy too. Beer selection is quite good from what I remember, but the prices were WAY OUT OF CONTROL. I would love to start going there again if these new people can turn it around. Go for it Chris Fritz! By the way, if any of you were around in the 70s and 80s, Chris was New West and probably your first concert ever was one of his events.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 11 months ago

At least you know what city a show is in again when you see the venue. I hope that means there are no more VW amphitheaters left on Earth.

H_Lecter 6 years, 11 months ago

Did I hear Chris Fritz say the beer would be cheaper? I do appreciate Sandstone; I was not impressed with the Sprint Center's accoustics. The green effort is a nice thought, but I'm not buying the Gandhi bottled water.

riverdrifter 6 years, 11 months ago

Haven't been to a concert since I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn there. The music died when he did.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Did someone say "National Pie Day?" Better late than never, I always say! My eldest has been begging for an apple pie. Might just have to make her one. I used to make an awesome cherry pie...then there was this one time...when I left out half of the sugar...

Kyle Neuer 6 years, 11 months ago

Best tunes in big venues?!?? Baloney. Best shows I ever saw were at the Lawrence Opera House, Off The Wall Hall(and it's other names since), The Jazzhaus and The Grand Emporium. The best music happens when bands are still hungry, before they reach the point of playing arenas.

sourpuss 6 years, 11 months ago

I am NOT happy. This is the worst thing ever. All my plans were for naught!

karmaxs3 6 years, 11 months ago

Aw, I'll miss Sandphone.....

Just kidding. I liked going there either way, but it's so much easier to say Sandstone than Verizon Wireless Ampitheater.....What-ev

Sandstone/Sandphone

Saw some good ones there back in the day.

dotteboy 6 years, 11 months ago

I saw David Lee Roth there...twice. Cinderella and Poison opened for him. Tickets-$20. I saw The Moody Blues there...sober. Damn good show. Tickets-FREE. I saw Marty Stewart (not bad), Dwight Yoakam ( had to chug 4 beers to keep bad impulses in check) and listened to Willie Nelson from the back of my SUV playing in a torrential down pour. Tickets-FREE. Saw Derrick Thomas and Hank Jr. kick numerous whiskey bottles out of their way as they stumbled from their limo. Tickets-FREE. Have they raised ticket prices?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 11 months ago

In the old days I spent a lot of time there. Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, Jackson Browne (half was rained out), Crosby, Stills and Nash, John Prine with Jimmy Buffett, Tom Petty with Bob Dylan, Moody Blues (3 or 4 times), Monkees reunion tour, Jefferson Starship, etc. I was sober at everyone of them, but when the concert was over, I was walking on air. Who needs drugs and alcohol when you have live music! They only dull the senses.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 11 months ago

I was hoping they'd just add more names until it was like you were reading every sticker on a Nascar just to say their name.

tydoorman 6 years, 8 months ago

hey everyone it is still be ran by the same people chris fritz works for live nation and that is still the same people putting show into sandstone, kemper, the only place that they do not do shows is the sprint arena, that is why sprint is getting big name people like hannah montanna, barry manalow, van halen.be sandstone is still going to be the same rude people as if it were verizon wireless. so do except anychanges as to the "gestapo tactics"so don't be to disappointed it the name it is still ran by live nation