Previous   Next

Why is it important to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 21, 2008

Browse the archives

“Because of his role in helping us achieve equity in the United States, and also because it reminds us that there is still work to be done.”

“Because he was brave enough to stand up and demand equality for African-Americans. And the people who were violent to him, he showed them peace.”

“He sparked the civil rights revolution and brought people in America together to fight racism.”

“He was a wonderful American who was the face of peace in the civil rights movement. He’s an excellent role model, and I think every American benefits from the work he did.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Maybe I'm cynical, but if you vote for the second grader's answer as the best, you're probably voting for his parents' answers.

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

agreed, the second grader had a great answer. but to say that his response was "better" than the adults? i disagree, seems the adults answered well also.

well the good ol' state of kansas has virtually shut down in honor of the day; me included. sorry, blue! ;)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

I want to hear more of this "equity" that the professor speaks of!

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Ha, I didn't catch that the first time through. But King was very fiscally responsible. He urged us to pay over interest payments. Even though we don't seem to listen to him anymore, it's definitely probably that we have more equity now than we would have if we hadn't ever had his sound financial advice.

dajudge 6 years, 11 months ago

I wish he had brought me some equity.

denak 6 years, 11 months ago

I think it is important to celebrate the day because MLK did nothing short of organizing and leading a social revolution in this country.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Enforcer: What in the world were you doing up at such an ungodly hour??