Previous   Next

Has the writers strike affected which TV shows you watch?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 17, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not really. The only show that I watched that was affected was ‘Conan O’Brien,’ but it’s back on now. It’s still pretty funny, even without the writers.”

“No. It really has just made me go from watching a little bit of TV to pretty much none. It’s fun to watch the late-night hosts try, but it’s become obvious who really has the talent.”

“No. Most of the shows I like to watch are kind of old, and I have a lot of them on DVD.”

“Yes, ‘Grey’s Anatomy.’ Now they only play a new one every two or three weeks, and I don’t know when they’re going to run out.”

Comments

trinity 7 years, 5 months ago

i know we've been watching a whole lot more movies, rented either by pay per view(nice&easy)or stopping in at a local video store. but when i get to thinking about it, there really weren't that many current shows i watched anyway; all the andy griffith's and leave it to beaver's have already been done for a long time!

now, if this somehow would have interfered with my college sports viewing-that'd be a whole 'nother story! :) i'd be totally peeossed!

trinity 7 years, 5 months ago

i'm now mad at myself-did not need apostrophes on those show titles. sigh

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

It's affected how often I get to watch a few of the shows I like, but it hasn't changed what shows I like. And ultimately, I don't really care all that much; like Regina, I enjoy older shows on DVD. I don't need new tv.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

I just get out the sock puppets & entertain myself.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

No. I don't have any incoming TV shows, unless I rent'em on DVD.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Not really. We watch a lot of cable shows (especially those on Animal Planet, A&E, Discovery Channel). We can usually find something to watch.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I am having major "The Office" withdrawal...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Nope. Got 3 movies from Netflix coming today. Since my kiddies got a snow day today, I'm anxiously awaiting the mail! (I guess we will go bake something calorie ridden for breakfast.)

Honestly, I'm enjoying watching Leno more during the strike. It's interesting to see what they come up with for the show.

H_Lecter 7 years, 5 months ago

With blood stains everywhere, who has time for TV?

sinkorswim 7 years, 5 months ago

Not really. I have to admit I'm one of the crazies that like reality shows. Amazing Race is winding down, but Survivor will start a new season in a couple of weeks, plus they've thrown together a Big Brother to air before the "regular" summer show. Maybe there'll be a new Bachelor coming up soon, too. Between these shows, plus SuperNanny, Cash Cab, Lifeime channel, and a couple of TLC shows (What Not to Wear, Moving Up), I'm good to go! I can find some reruns of Dateline and 48 Hours to dvr...and there's always dvd's. Not to mention KU basketball!!

What do I miss??? New episodes of How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, and Cold Case.

Now the funniest part of all this is the fact that I dvr out the whazoo...yet hardly see any of these shows I like. So, in reality the strike doesn't seem to affect me too much. Still have lots of stuff I've never seen. :-)

ms_canada 7 years, 5 months ago

TV sucks most of the time, so I don't notice much difference. My spare time is taken up by reading, reading, reading. Also having my house torn apart at the present time by the installation of hardwood flooring throughout has put the kybosh on most leisure activity or non activity, for that matter. My son will do the installation room by room. What a mess, can't find anything that has been moved to the basement. Going nuts!!! Now where did I leave my book?? Drat!!

hawklet21 7 years, 5 months ago

I've got my HGTV and Fresh Prince to watch late at night, so I'm fine!

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

There is a writers' strike?

Can we get a politician's strike started?

BorderRat 7 years, 5 months ago

Kansas Basketball and Colorado Avalanche Hockey. Who needs writers?

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

ag, no partisan bickering here. My silly joke indicated all politicians. It was RI who went all right-thinker on us.

Write2Know 7 years, 5 months ago

No tv, no problem.

World of Warcraft, 24/7!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

But ... why would politicians go on strike? The writers went on strike because they feel they're not paid enough. If politicians feel that way, then they vote on a raise.

Don't forget the wonderful words of Mitch Hedberg: "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."