Previous   Next

How long does it take you to do your grocery shopping?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 16, 2008

Browse the archives

“An hour to two hours. I go down every aisle and look at everything. Sometimes I like to ride the electronic cart and knock stuff over.”

“I used to go shopping for about 20 minutes every weekend, but recently I’ve started just stopping in for three or four minutes to get what I need. I’d like to go back to just shopping on the weekends though.”

“Forty-five minutes. I try to spend as much time there as I can. I love going to the grocery store, but I live by myself so there’s no reason to buy very much food.”

“It takes me a pretty long time, probably about 45 minutes. I’m pretty picky about my produce, and I read all of the nutrition facts on everything I buy.”

Comments

jonas 7 years ago

Heather the waitress: We should pick a time to go cart racing. You'd probably beat me at the electric, but I'd wail on you in the traditional.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Cheerios, coffee, milk. Don't take too long at all.

average 7 years ago

Not very long at all. A little listing ahead of time, a quick swing by the day-old aisle, and however long it takes to check out.

While I like to support local, so I shop Checkers more often than not, there's something beautiful about shopping at Aldi. "You want ketchup? Here's your damned ketchup." No brands, no sizes ("ya want more, buy two"), no gimmicks. Since I buy generic on everything short of beer anyway, I typically have no problem with their selections.

trinity 7 years ago

in&out nobody gets hurt-usually, about 20 minutes, unless i'm shopping my list for a big ol' holiday meal, then it'll take me 30, 40-i despise shoppingg!!!

jonas, i'm cool with ya on the traditional cart racing thing; but i think ms. heather needs to grow up&leave the damn electric carts for somebody who really needs 'em. if i imagine my ol' mama wanting or needing to shop&not being able to because some dolt was playing with an electric cart&there wasn't one available-well, me&ms heather's ilk would have a come to jeebus meetin' pronto.

Crossfire 7 years ago

Wal~Mart has the most carts and would be the best place to race bumper carts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeG7V6...

RonBurgandy 7 years ago

45 minutes to an hour. It depends on how hungry I am while I am shopping.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

How long? Too... Actually, it takes me a little over $100. Time is money! Money is time?

alm77 7 years ago

average, you made me laugh out loud and yes, you are correct.

I go to Aldi every Friday with a list and then on to Checkers. It takes us (me and my 3 year old, who is such a big "helper") about an hour.

oldvet 7 years ago

About 2 hours at Costco... nice, because they feed you a free lunch while you are shopping...

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

I go often so anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Longer if I have to stop the bagger from giving me those damn plastic bags. "Helllloooooo...I brought my green bags...for a reason!" I love it when they put something in a plastic bag and then shove it in another bag. Can't have too many bags. I think I'll start shopping at ALDI. :)

Grundoon Luna 7 years ago

About 1.5 - 2 hours. I hit Walgreens first then Checkers.

You have to watch Aldi!!!! I never had a problem with their canned goods. BUT! When I was pregnant with Tude-dino I got horrible food poisning form some bratwurst I got here and it was so horrible! I thought I was going to miscarry. I haven't shopped there since and that's been over 8 years ago.

whitno 7 years ago

Always The Merc. Duration: however long it takes me to stare at all of the bulk items at least twice....probably never having made a decision. I love that place.

chemegirlie 7 years ago

Azure- You have to watch Aldi's. I only shopped there one time. They had strawberries advertised for a ridiculously low price. I, being the strawberry lover that I am, went to check it out. I turned over the carton of strawberries to check the fruit on the bottom they had TONS of mold growing all over them. All the cartons they had out had a lot of mold! I pointed this out to the clerk and he barely even acknowledged it. I left and I have never been back.

trinity 7 years ago

and i'll bet you're a dapper dan man, too. ;)

Grundoon Luna 7 years ago

Oh, yeah, thier produce has always sucked and I never bought it. I only went for the canned goods and frozen foods. And it was the frozen brats that got me. Never again will I cross the threshhold of their door. It will be 9 years in June.

Grundoon Luna 7 years ago

R_I, you may appreciate this:

Mr. Attitude came to me while I was hard at work making dinner and says, "Ya know what's worse than a Male Chauvenist pig?"

"What woudl that be, my love?" I ask.

"A woman that doens't know her place."

Even with Tude-Dudes help it took a while, but my foot was finally removed from his @$$. Dinner somewhat cooked that evening.

Nah, actually I laughed but in retelling it's funnier for gals to think that I put my foot way up there.

dajudge 7 years ago

Well, I usually get a 30 pack if beer for general consumption, then for Mondays, I need some tequila, vodka for Tuesday, gin for Wednesday, Irish whiskey for Thursday, Yukon Jack for Friday, cinnamon schnapps with Black Jack Saturday, and wine for Sunday. So, about 5 minutes.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

It's taken me 26 years so far, and there's no end in sight.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

If I'm alone I can get in and out pretty quick, because mostly if I see someone I know I wave and say hi. My husband, on the other hand, loves to visit. It takes longer when he's along, but it's much more interesting, I have to admit.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

It depends if I am shopping for a meal or for the week.

jumpin_catfish 7 years ago

Hey Heather, I hope grandma doesn't need that electric cart while you're screwin' around with it.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

One of my favorite evenings was at R_I's house while I sat at the table with his spousal unit, drinking a glass of wine and watching him prepare their evening meal. You go guy! That cookin is men's work...well, not in my house...but nice to see that it happens elsewhere. As I sometimes remind my hubby: "You never hear of a man being shot while doing the dishes!" :)

trinity 7 years ago

i must be in the thick of a beeyotch day, because it still irks me that heather comments about liking to ride those things around&knock stuff over. i don't know what's worse-shopping when there is a screeching toddler about, or shopping when there are unleashed, belligerant teens running amok. :-/

on a way off the topic note-does anybody know how the H to get registered for that larryville forum?? even emailing the admin doesn't seem to work-no answer, and still can't log in. just wondering!

Ceallach 7 years ago

Since I'm back on a budget (eternal optimist that I am) it doesn't take long because I make a list. However, if g'baby is with me all bets on time are off (alas, as well as the grocery budget :)

I wish LJW would move up a grade or two and let 3rd or 4th graders come up with the OTS questions. The 2nd graders have been on the job too long.

earline james 7 years ago

Depends on how many coupons I'm redeeming. Coupons are hard work, but every quarter I save with a coupon is a quarter I can spend on something else.
I'm probably in a grocery store 3 or 4 times a week. I check the stale bread, bent cans, and marked down items aisles. I get 19cent bananas on Thursdays. If I shop at lunch time, I have to cut it short to get back to work; but if I go in the evening, or on the Saturday, I can be in the store for hours. Hours, I tell you. I don't have a debit card, so I can't shop Aldi's. Seems crazy to cash a check at Dillons, to go to Aldi's to buy, oh, I don't know, a plasma tv! (I love that ad on Sunday, too. ) I can't shop there because Aldi's won't take checks.
Heartland Shares works pretty well for me. Funny, I don't really cook; just nuke things (tv dinners) and warm stuff up in the oven. How is it I spend so much time in the supermarket?

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years ago

Shopping generaly takes an hour or so - depends on how many people I see at our small town grocery store and spend time visiting! Not one for a soap box as you regulars know BUT as someone who suffers from RA and sometimes really depends on the electric cart because I am not able to walk the isle of the store I would like to give a HUGE "thank you" to Heather and others like her who think that motorized carts are toys. On that note however, please don't be too quick to judge those using the carts - As I said because of my RA there are days I can hardly move - I am 30 years old - and there have been people who have made really rude comments because they assume that since I am young I must be just playing around and not truly in need of the motor cart - so again thanks to those like Heather who have made life so much easier for folks like me!

saraheckman 7 years ago

Heather can't walk right now without crutches, she just had surgery

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Depends on how much I need and how easily I can find everything. Walmart keeps moving things around and it's highly annoying. I also work til the wee hours so I do my grocery shopping when no one else is around, it's nice. I've gotten to know the late night grocery crew. If I just need the usual staples I can be in and out in a few minutes... if I'm in the mood to look around, it can take me an hour or more.

George_Braziller 7 years ago

I shopped at Checker's for 15 years until they stopped accepting my check as a check and haven't been back since. When you are a long time shopper, have $3,000 or so in your checking account and suddenly your check isn't good enough and has to be "electronically withdrawn" I walk away. When I did shop there I would go early in the morning, fill up a huge cart and be out within an hour. Now I just buy smaller amounts at dirty Dillons or the Merc on a more regular basis when it is not crowded.

coolmom 7 years ago

you people are awesome..i have 3 teens and a 10 year old and shopping is always a work in progress. on a lighter note i broke my water in checkers almost 15 years ago and they paniced and shoved me out the door for fear i would have the baby there. it was strange my first thought was "quick! drop a jar of pickles so no one knows!"

case 7 years ago

cheap, fast, good= the casbah market for all my grocery needs. check it out.