Previous   Next

What do you do to stay in shape and keep yourself healthy?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 13, 2008

Browse the archives

“I run and do yoga. I try to eat healthy and stay away from eating meat, besides fish, and dairy, because I’m not sure it’s meant for people to eat.”

“I try not to eat red meat, and I buy as much organic food as I can afford.”

“I try to ride my bike a lot and go to the KU recreation center, but not as much as I should.”

“I walk during my lunch hour; to a restaurant or if I have an errand to run. I’m sure I should do more.”

Comments

redneckwoman 8 years ago

My exercise is chasing after my kids, cleaning house, doing laundry, etc. (my laundryroom is in the basement). I smoke, drink, and eat everything. I just do it in moderation, well at least eat ;) And I am a size 4.

gogoplata 8 years ago

Its Gracie Jiu Jitsu all the way.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 8 years ago

I incorporated Hannibal, baked in pastry. Turnabout, especially in a turnover, is fair play.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Pretty much nothing, really. Unless the Wii counts.

classclown 8 years ago

Donuts help me maintain my shape.

labmonkey 8 years ago

At least an hour of aerobic which includes 3-5 miles of running and 30 minutes on the bike a day and lift 2-4 times a week. Of course my eating habits are crap so I still have a spare tire....I love my genetically engineered food and copius amounts of red meat....and vanilla zingers. I cannot resist vanilla zingers. They were created by satan himself.

labmonkey 8 years ago

BTW...where is H_lecter.....I haven't seen him(?) make a comment lately. I would love to hear what he has to say in answer to this question.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 8 years ago

I suck in my gut to stay in shape. Health is for thieves and hangers on. I only persevere in deserving and embracing death.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

R_I!

Pilates (which at my gym is more like a girls' chat session). Also, spending time w/ friends is very important to my mental health.

GretchenJP 8 years ago

What is this "staying in shape and keeping yourself healthy" you speak of?

H_Lecter 8 years ago

Well, I have a special diet that takes a lot of time and effort to attain. I try to be fairly selective as I am a firm believer in you are who, er... what you eat. You should try my homemade sushi. I have a great Lawrence roll and a tender Tonganoxie Sashimi.

Other than that, it's 30 - 60 min of aerobic (elliptical, bike, & treadmill) five days per week. If you think you could run away, you'd have to be very fast.

GretchenJP 8 years ago

I was SO hoping for a post from H_Lecter. note to self... do not accept a dinner invitation from him.

Ceallach 8 years ago

Whole grains, lots of whole grains, walking, constantly battling white sugar. White sugar is the devil!

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Ceal, "White sugar is the devil!"...do you say that like Kathy Bates in "The Water Boy?"

GretchenJP 8 years ago

I taste NOTHING like chicken, I swear.

sigerson 8 years ago

Half an hour a day of brisk walking. Some work with light weights. My admiration to those on this board who are doing more.

Erin Parmelee 8 years ago

I run. I'm running a marathon in 4 weeks actually. Ran 21 training miles yesterday and can barely walk today, but I feel like a bad ass, so I think it's worth it!

KSChick1 8 years ago

When I think about exercising I eat some chocolate and lay back down on the couch until the thought passes.

hawklet21 8 years ago

Pushing remote buttons and maintaining constant hand-to-mouth motion.

trinity 8 years ago

hah i'm with kansas chick! great program! :)

Jonathan Allison 8 years ago

Ms. Fetterman doesn't believe that eating meat "besides fish" is meant for people. I can live with this I know there are other ways to obtain nourishment. But its the part about believe that fish and dairy are meant for people but beef and chicken aren't.

Seriously, you drink cow's milk? Do you think cow's milk is meant for people? I drink cow's milk even though I know it's not meant for people. But it's fine for me to do so because I don't discriminate between meats

Rather though... If I suggested Ms. Alex rethink what is and isn't meant for people she might start drinking human breast milk... I'll drink cow's milk, and I'll eat the cow too.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 8 years ago

I eat lazy logic for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It tastes great and is less filling!~)