Previous   Next

Have you had any trouble with credit card debt?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 12, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have. My bank was really eager to give me a credit card, and it was great until I reached my limit and they wanted the money back.”

“No, I’m too young. I haven’t had a chance to rack any up yet.”

“No. I pay off the entire balance at the end of each month. I’ve had the same credit card since 1977, and I don’t think I’ve ever carried over a balance.”

“Yeah, I have a pretty decent amount on my credit cards. I just keep chipping away at it.”

Comments

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Nope. Pay it (them) off at the end of every month.* I think in the last 18 years, I've been late with a payment a couple of times (years ago) and it really chaps me arse to have to pay any kind of a fee. Now that I bank on-line, I don't worry about the payment being late.

• I must add that before I met my man (in my silly youth), I used to carry a balance on my cards. He tought me the error of my ways and I've never looked back. Excuse me while I go thank him properly. ;)

blackwalnut 7 years, 4 months ago

Always live slightly below your means and you will never get in trouble.

Credit cards are for convenience. They should never be used to buy things you cannot pay for in that same month.

canyon_wren 7 years, 4 months ago

I only have one credit card (VISA) and pay the total each month, but I am alone and my wants are minimal (also, I live a good ways from legitimate shopping areas!). I do find credit cards so handy for big things like train or plane tickets, etc. and couldn't manage without one very well. I also have a Penney's card, as it used to be handy for ordering from our catalog store (because of our relative isolation) but their shipping charges are so out-of-line anymore that I never use it.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

No, no trouble at all, as long as it's someone else's debt.

grubesteak 7 years, 4 months ago

I haven't had a credit card in almost two years. My life is much better because of it.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

I have an Aventura VISA card which gives me reward points that I can use for various rewards like car rental, hotel and air travel. I have used those points 3 times to fly to San Diego, only have to pay the taxes of about $100. I pay the complete balance each month, sometimes online, but once I sent the payment online on the day it was due but it did not register with visa until the next day and so they billed me $50 on my next invoice. Well, I blew my top, phoned them and told them to cancel my card. Sorry, they said and cancelled the $50. Now I am careful not to be late with my payment. I usually never come close to spending the card limit. I am not an impulse buyer and really don't have a lot wants so don't have too much trouble.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 4 months ago

Be careful with the debit cards though. My husband used ours in a restaurant in California, and apparently they scanned it. Fortunately we bank online, and my husband checks our account often. One day he found a charge of over $300 to the Gap on line. We aren't the types to ever order anything from the Gap. When he called, all the Gap would tell him is that the delivery order was somewhere in Boston. They wouldn't even give him the address! We filled out the paperwork at the bank, and the Gap was able to call back the order, since it hadn't been delivered yet. Turns out there were 3 more orders placed. We would have been out about $1000! It took awhile for our money to be back to us, and we had to pay a couple of utility bills late. Now if we pay in a restaurant or anywhere our card leaves our sight, we pay with a credit card. This could happen with a credit card, but it doesn't tie up your money for bills.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 4 months ago

Some banks are doing jiggery-pokery and adding a fee to transactions when you use a PIN. Check your checking account statements carefully.

George_Braziller 7 years, 4 months ago

I had a credit card ONCE. I ordered some books for a total of $60. I mailed the payment on the day that it was due and because it wasn't recieved on the day that it was due they charged me a $30 "late fee" because I didn't pay the $1.15 in interest on the initial $60. Cut that sucker up really fast. That was about 15 years ago and I have never missed not having a credit card.

If you can't pay cash for it then you don't need it.

lineba20 7 years, 4 months ago

There is a company called Credit Card Zappers I would recommend to help pay your debt.

I've been using them for 2 months and they got my interest charges and an overlimit fee removed.