Previous   Next

Do you think the governor and other Kansas Democrats are wise in waiting to endorse a presidential candidate?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 10, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it’s a smart move, but I also think it shows a little bit of cowardice. It’s the ‘wait and see what happens so we don’t get in trouble later’ mentality. If they’re going to endorse someone, they should support the person they believe in.”

“No. I think it would show more character to pick earlier. They should be true to themselves and not wait to see what the party is going to do.”

“No. I think they should support the person they believe in, not whoever is most popular.”

“I don’t think it’s very courageous of them. I think by now they should have a good feeling for who they support, but they’re afraid to say so because it could hurt them. Nobody wants to back a losing horse.”

Comments

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 11 months ago

Kathleen is waiting to see who might offer her the VP slot.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

R_I - I am looking forward to caucussing, it should be interesting.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

No, I don't think it's smart. I think it's spineless to wait to see who's popular before you jump on their bandwagon.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Wait ... why does it matter who they endorse?

preebo 6 years, 11 months ago

Ah, yeah...

Remember when Gore endorsed Dean before the Iowa Caucus in 04? I actually worked as a Staffer for a campaign (that shall remain nameless) during that election (2004) and we all had a great laugh when Dean's campaign imploded, because we actually tried to obtain Gore's endorsement for our candidate, but his people thought it better to back the "frontrunner."

Contrary to what some people believe, endorsement do provide the candidate with new and sometimes large avenues for fund raising. While it doesn't work well to sway votes, it does help in the money arena.

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

No, it isn't wise, it is calculating. Or, perhaps they truly haven't yet made up their minds on who they would support. Or they support multiple candidates, with only a slight leaning one way or another that doesn't warrant a full endorsement of any individual.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Kansas will vote for the Republican, and the Democrat will be elected President.

Has it been windy in Kansas lately? It appears a sudden gust of wind is putting the test to the glue holding down Nathan's toupee!

TtownKUlivin 6 years, 11 months ago

What's more important for the state right now? Knowing who Sebelius endorses or finding and replacing the empty AG spot that was left void when Morrison got busted? I'm assuming it is the latter. It's not cowardice to sit back and play the waiting game, especially when many of us registered voters still have no clue who we will vote for. Sure we have an idea of who we like, but not a clear cut number one. Maybe she doesn't like either, although I already know who her favorite is. But seriously, can you back someone that uses "change" every other word (let's not forget he's been in Congress for years not making too much change) or maybe you go with the candidate who pre approved certain questions to be asked? I can't believe these two are the front runners for the Democratic campaign, I might actually vote republican for the first time in my life this year.

deskboy04 6 years, 11 months ago

Nobody cares who Kathleen endores...including the candidates. Kansas isn't important in the presidental election because we have very few electoral votes and we almost always go republican anyway.

dizzy_from_your_spin 6 years, 11 months ago

Sebelius make an accountable decision? Before a clear winner emerges? Are you kidding?

dizzy_from_your_spin 6 years, 11 months ago

P.S. It would not be in Sebelius' best interest (i.e. future job opportunities) to endorse "John" and have "Mary" win the nomination or election.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

R_I - I am in senate district 3 so I will be at the armory with you. Hopefully nothing lower than Bud Light...