Previous   Next

What do you think the Kansas University football team’s final ranking should be?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“Number one! They should be co-champs with LSU.”

“I think since we only lost one game we should be in the top five. If it would’ve been any other team in the 12, they would finish even higher.”

“Well really they should be number one, because they’re the only one loss team and performed so well in their bowl game. Realistically though, I don’t think anyone could complain if they were two or three.”

“I’d say three or four probably, and LSU has to be number one. But the BCS system just doesn’t work, you never really know who the best team is.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

regardless of the ranking and whatever the heck went into it, twelve-and-one is a very respectable tally and I do congratulate the Kansas Football team. shame to lose two of them for NFL.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

rankings are like spam: no one is quite sure what goes into them; they're always around; no one really likes them; they're supposed to be good for you; they both run the risk of being heaved.

Rickyonealku 6 years, 3 months ago

Kansas could have scored a late TD making the final score Kansas 31 and Virginia Tech 21. Now would that have made Kansas say number 5??? no plus Missouri lost twice to Oklahoma with the final poll reflecting Missouri ranked ahead of Oklahoma???

The Kansas Jayhawks are the FEDEX 2008 Orange Bowl Champions!!!! plus finished 12-1.

Enough said....until September 2008.

camper 6 years, 3 months ago

A ranking of seven seems fair. They won a big bowl game and only lost one game during the season, but had a lighter schedule. No complaints. They had a season to remember...almost flawless. Great job by the whole team (players and coaches).

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

R_I, green bags are the only way to go! Why, just last year, I alone saved 2.3 acres of a plastic forest from being cut down! (Seriously, I love my green bags!)

KU ranking? What dminear60 said...exactly!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

No problem Bob! The other thing people are missing is, next year, the schedule not only picks up Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech, but also South Florida. I know they faded at the end of the year, but they were a young team and should be better for it next year.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Ohjayhawk. I was too entirely lazy to write all that out. Good research, champ!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Not to mention that in college football, you don't get any preseason games as they do in the NFL, or scrimmages as they do in high school. With the extra game on the schedule, what's the harm in scheduling the first one against a I-AA team to kind of get the player's feet wet? When it does backfire, then good for the I-AA team. I think the fact that they are beginning to win/be competetive against the "big boys" is an argument that scheduling a I-AA team isn't always a cakewalk.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

sigerson (Anonymous) says:

Good heavens, SEL is a I-AA team!

Just this year,

1 LSU played Middle Tennessee this year (who until 2000 played in the Ohio Valley Conference - a I-AA conference)

2 Georgia played Western Carolina - a I-AA school

3 USC played Idaho - who, in all actuality would struggle against many I-AA schools at this point

4 Missouri played Illinois state - a I-AA school

5 Ohio State played Youngstown State - a I-AA school

6 West Virgina played some weaker teams as well, but not as bad as above

With a 12 game season, I think you will see a lot more teams playing I-AA opponents.

sigerson 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't want to take anything away from Kansas. I like the Jayhawks and want them to succeed. But Florida International? Southeast Louisiana? Good heavens, SEL is a I-AA team! That's like the varsity vs. the JV! Excellent players come from I-AA (Kurt Warner, Terrell Owens, Tony Romo). But it's the kind of game that teams schedule in order to big, fat win and let their boosters pound their chests a bit before the reality of the conference season sets in. I love it when it backfires (see Appalachian State vs. Michigan or North Dakota State vs. Minnesota). To say that other teams do it doesn't mean they should.

more_cowbell 6 years, 3 months ago

What Jackwhack said in his first comment. #7 is about right. Also what RETICENT_IRREVERENT said. Bring on playoffs, enough of the poll & bowl farce!

(I've already posted a full comment on the article that goes with this OTS poll so I won't repeat it here)

And of the people OTS, Kelly Fritzlen (the last one) made the best point, about the BCS.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

Also, since people seem to have forgotten this. . . .

The sign of a very good team is to Not Fold Under Pressure. A talented team entering into a one shot make or break deal on a national stage can find itself suddenly mixing itself up and dropping it a notch or two. To not fold like this, particularly, say, when the opposing team suddenly takes the momentum and starts to quickly catch up, and then to continue to play strongly and last it out, is something that should absolutely be highly respected, and should be included in any overall analysis in terms of individual and team talent, certainly before any less relevant notions of strength of division or difficulty of past opponents.

Look, I know how badly some of you want to take this away from us, so us Kansas jokes will know to stay in our place. Had we lost the Orange Bowl, then you could have done that, probably. As we won it, just let it go. If it means so much to you, I'm sure you'll be patient enough to wait until next year to see if our team doesn't make it quite far enough for you to declare that we were a one-hit wonder and deligitimize us in that fashion. Can we make a deal?

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

"It's like sportswriters decided that KU was a certain level of football team, and that all any outcome could do was confirm that notion."

Stop the presses, I think we may have a winner here folks.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

"Then, after the game is finished, the argument changes." Logic

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. VaTech went from Goliath to being overrated. Bollucks.

logicsound04 6 years, 3 months ago

"Now, carry on my wayward sons."

The BCS does_not_produce peace when it is done.

I think I'll lay my weary head to rest.

blue73harley 6 years, 3 months ago

All this rating stuff is just dust in the wind.

logicsound04 6 years, 3 months ago

"One of the biggest revelations from the Orange Bowl (outside of the state of KS) was how weak Va Tech was"

That's pure insanity. Leading up to the Orange Bowl all anyone could talk about was how much more athletic VTech's defense was than anything KU had faced and how VTech was the ACC Champ and KU had no shot and would be outmatched.

Then, after the game is finished, the argument changes. It's like sportswriters decided that KU was a certain level of football team, and that all any outcome could do was confirm that notion. KU is mediocre, so VTech is going to wax them. KU is mediocre, so VTech must suck for losing to them. At what point does KU get_credit_for how it plays, rather than constantly serving as the reflection point for its opponents?

Horse$hit. It's that kind of tortured logic that makes the BCS a joke.

By the way, it is proven again and again throughout the season that the sportswriters don't always get it right--what reason do we have to assume that the sportswriters' opinions are any more accurate in the final poll than they are at the beginning of (or throughout) the year?

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

Why are you ranking Kansas with music of the '90s? They are clearly a '70s band.

As a '70s band, I would rank Kansas as #7.

Now, carry on my wayward sons.

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

TOB - methinks I spot a measure of talent in those lines you have penned. (sic) I like it. And R_I - don't be so chicken, give it a try. You certainly don't want to be outdone by our Bobby, do you?

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

O-Bob: I can't hate the first real song I learned on guitar. Can still play it all the way through, solo included.

Still, hardly holds a candle to One, Master of Puppets, Battery, Fade To Black, Creeping Death, etc.

. . . . can play most of those, too.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 3 months ago

I will leave that alone ms_c... There is too much slang associated with buttered biscuits.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

"Hmmm, nice and toasty in here. Getting warmer and warmer. Almost too hot."

Plop!

"Ah, that little jump out of the toaster was fun. Oh, here we go. Lather me up with that buttery goodness. Feels so good. That's right, butter both sides. This is heaven."

Chomp.

"Ayyyyyyyyye! I've been bitten! This wasn't part of the deal, Wonderbread! This wasn't part of the deaaaallllll!!!!!!"

Chomp.

"Argggggggghhhhhh!!!!"

Chomp. Chomp. Chomp.

"."

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

TOB - your buttery toasted biscuit reminded me of something I heard the other day, the day of the what kind of book would you like to write topic. An author was being interviewed about a book he wrote and it seems that spaced throughout the book, breaking off from the story, he had included some lessons for those interested in writing. One of the lessons that he had used in a Creative Writing course was this: write a short essay on buttering toast. But write it from the perspective of the toast. Describe what you, the toast, would experience from this buttering process. Care to give it a try anyone?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

Enter Sandman ended what was once Metallica. .

jackwhack 6 years, 3 months ago

BTW, Teen Spirit changed everything.

jackwhack 6 years, 3 months ago

Understand your sentiment Jonas, but sports fans will forever try to compare teams. It's just part of sports. And rankings are the official comparisons of teams. The tangible products of the rankings are recruiting and ticket sales.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

But I find complaining or worrying about rankings to have the same amount of sense as flipping out about how high up your favorite song got on a "Top 50 of all time!"(tm) list.

"WHAT?! Smells Like Teen Spirit was SO much more influential on 90's non-pop than Enter Sandman! Gibbergibbergibbersnarl!"

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

I find the ranking system to be far too reliant on integers. I think that we should probably be ranked somewhere between 3.457 and 5.986.

jackwhack 6 years, 3 months ago

Oldvet: If I were you, I would be tired of it too. But it's simply what happened. Couldn't agree more about Ohio State. KU should be ahead of Ohio State, who probably don't deserve a top 10 ranking at all. They were cupcake city too - big ten was down this year. They were there based on past success. I know, It's a joke. Georgia probably should not have been #2 either...should have been W. Virginia. But GA finished strong the second half of the season against a great schedule.

LogicSound04: Schedule didn't become irrelevant in the Orange Bowl. One of the biggest revelations from the Orange Bowl (outside of the state of KS) was how weak Va Tech was. The ACC was pathetic this year. Pathetic. So ACC Champ doesn't hold much water. And in the Orange Bowl, they looked horrible. They were running effectively, but inexplicably began heaving the ball downfield on hail-marys starting in the 2nd quarter. WTF? Neither of their QBs were ready for high level D1 football. Again, sportswriters across America saw all of this and made a judgment.

logicsound04 6 years, 3 months ago

Schedule became irrelevant the minute we won the Orange Bowl, defeating the Champions of the ACC.

Ohio State shouldn't have even sniffed the top 5 and Georgia, who beat a "soft" (where have I heard that before?) Hawaii team in their bowl got it's ranking solely on the sportswriters baseless belief that the SEC is the best conference in the land.

oldvet 6 years, 3 months ago

You know, jack, I'm beginning to get tired of people talking about our "soft" schedule keeping us down... Please note that the 2-loss, #4-ranked Ohio State played the powerhouse non-conference schedule of Youngstown State, Akron, Kent State and Washington... and 2-loss, #3 ranked Georgia played the killer non-conference games with Oklahoma State, Western Carolina and Troy... and if you want to see my comparison of our "soft" schedule to MU's "tough" schedule, please check it at:

trinity 6 years, 3 months ago

i agree tob.

my morning was made with a nice bowl of oatmeal.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

Rankings are meaningless.

Delicious buttery toasted biscuits are meaningful. Goodness. My morning is set.

jackwhack 6 years, 3 months ago

If KU had bothered to schedule anyone, they might have earned a higher ranking. But #7 is about right. The KU AD knew for a long time that they wouldn't play OU or TX this year, and he still went out and scheduled a cupcake non-conference schedule. To reward that with a higher final ranking would be bad for college football, and it looks like sportswriters across America understood that very well. Good for them. Overall, KU had a great season and should be proud.

JJE007 6 years, 3 months ago

I feel they'll always be number two in my heart...of course that could be m'angina!~)

dminear60 6 years, 3 months ago

Just high enough to be ranked higher than Missouri! Seriously, does it matter? We made it to the Orange Bowl and we won. That is satisfaction enough and it speaks louder than a final ranking.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 3 months ago

I would say this question ranks just behind of "paper or plastic?"

blue73harley 6 years, 3 months ago

Where they officially rank rates a number one on my "Don't Care" list.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Um...not number one. No. But yes, top five.