Previous   Next

What type of book would you like to write?

Asked at Dusty Bookshelf, 708 Mass. on January 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“Probably an insightful work of fiction that would have some spiritual aspects to it. I think that readers benefit from works like that. It makes the world a better place.”

“I love reading fiction, so I think I would like to write a historical novel, set in Lawrence of course, perhaps a murder mystery that takes place in the Eldridge Hotel.”

“I would like to write an autobiographical account of this last year. I think it would make for a good laugh. It’s been one ridiculous situation after another, like bad reality TV.”

“I’m actually co-authoring a book right now on something I know nothing about, meat fabrication and identification. But I would like to write a textbook about table service and front-of-house management.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years, 4 months ago

mom_of_three 7 years, 4 months ago

I would write a book about my great grandmother's life, because it's an interesting story. And I would write about how I found my grandmother's half-sisters this past year.

freeordie 7 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to write a short novelette on how hot Mrs. Osborn is!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 4 months ago

I would write a stream of consciousness kind of a thing (BIG surprise!~) and it would channel the perpective of a far right believer, move gently towards leftist ridiculousness, then end up somewhere in the middle...meaning with a diversely thoughtful blueprint exhibiting selfish motives, my jovial attitude and its rakish demeanor. Frankly, I have no idea, re: how it would turn out, or given clues as to what path the words would take. They would only begin...like a necessarily stolen bicycle...and the pulling of its chain...and old words...

It was the best of times and the worst of times...again.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

A sequel to the bible would be fun to write. I think God will be a lot nicer than in the Old Testament, in fact, his sense of humor, which is so apparent today will finally get recognized.

coolmom 7 years, 4 months ago

either another novel adding to the pern series or a novel on how to raise kids without losing your mind...unless its already to late.

dajudge 7 years, 4 months ago

It was a dark and stormy night, when a culinary instructor started his bizarre experiment of meat fabrication. More, later.....

Erin Parmelee 7 years, 4 months ago

I would write my life story. It reads more like a soap opera than anything--no one would believe it, but it's all true.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

WOW - I have often thought about writing a book. A reader I am, that's for sure. But I doubt that I could ever write a book. If I could it would probably be a historical mystery along the lines of P.C. Doherty or Ellis Peters or Peter Tremayne. Ellis Peters wrote the Brother Cadfael stories and Peter Tremayne writes Sister Fidelma and Brother Eadwald (of Ireland) mysteries. They are just great.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

I think I already did; to accompany my pictures of the local high school football team, I wrote game recaps each week, and I ended up putting the pictures and recaps in a book that I made available to the parents. So it has very limited appeal, but I guess I did write a book.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

snap, that was a good belly laugh, thanks!

Write a book? No. I'd love to do the research for a book and let someone else write it. I have no tallent for grammar, spelling, and all that other nonsense that goes with trying to make a coherent sentence.

R_I, I wore my "one of a kind specially made by R_I" T-shirt this morning and some guy at the grocery store actually used it as a conversation piece to flirt with me. Strange! Especially because I had that "all sweaty-just left the gym" look. I'm going to start wearing the shirt more often! (It was definitely the shirt!)

Cathy Carley 7 years, 4 months ago

I am writing a children's book about a friend of mine that lives here in Lawrence. Watch for it.

gogoplata 7 years, 4 months ago

A book about how Biblical Christianity lines up better with most libertarian positions than it does with the Republican positions.

I don't like the fact that a lot of Christians think that being a good Republican equals being a Biblical Christian.

Most Christians who are honest about what the Bible teaches will agree that the Crusades were not justified and a great evil. It doesn't seem like we have learned from this mistake when you look at the Christian support for the current US foreign policy.

As a former neocon/Bush supporter I can tell you that I always had hard time justifying why gays should not be allowed to get married. I had no problem seeing that homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible but I didn't see how we (Christians) had any right to tell another person how to live their life if it isn't hurting anyone else. The Libertarian position of live and let live makes sense to me, and it is Biblical. We should try to change peoples minds through reaching out to them in love, not by force.

I am in no way prepared to write a book like this now, but the idea is interesting to me.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 4 months ago

My life dealing with a autistic child, although it would be a never ending story because in 12 years not a day goes by that there is not something new that i learn. i would love to see my 15 yr old write a book for siblings dealing with siblings with autism. Have a awesome day everyone.

gogoplata 7 years, 4 months ago

I like to read some of the articles at lewrockwell.com, here is one guy that thinks polygamy should not be outlawed. http://www.lewrockwell.com/french/french9.html

Ceallach 7 years, 4 months ago

I've already started my book. It will be an expose, appropriately titled "The Loves of Lady_Canada - (The multifarious memoirs of a seemingly meek and mild mannered matron in Edmonton)." Right now the title is all I have written, still waiting for the advance from a publisher--then watch out--it is bound to be a best seller.

gogoplata 7 years, 4 months ago

Don't know. I can't say that I am interested in the Libertarian position on the National Park System. I'm sure you could find something on that at lewrockwell.com. I am more interested in how libertarian positions line up with Biblical Christianity.

fu7il3 7 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to write a book telling other people what types of books to write. That would blow people's minds.

Ceallach 7 years, 4 months ago

I love Calvin and Hobbes, thanks, ohjayhawk!

blackwalnut 7 years, 4 months ago

A nonfiction book about how the pendulum swung and America recovered from 8 horrible years of BushCheney raping and pillaging.

I'd like to write this book about 20 years from now.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

A critically acclaimed, popular, very well selling, highly influential one that is remembered many years hence as a shining example of its particular genre.

Duh.

trinity 7 years, 4 months ago

i'd write a cookbook-so then i wouldn't have to be drug away from my work(hah!)to send my darling daughters their favorite childhood recipes that no matter HOW damn many times we'd eat 'em-they still love 'em&want to make 'em for themselves, their loved ones, their kids, etc!

that was a lonnnnnnng sentence, no?? :)

but hey-my mama cookbook would definitely rock! i AM the gravy goddess!

ohjayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I do to Ceal... I miss Calvin and Hobbes. I remember that particular one because I had it taped to the bedroom door of my apartment out in Lawrence. It just cracked me up.

allateup 7 years, 4 months ago

A book of quotes from "johnny on the jobs", the first one..............."it smells so bad in here, I could hardly choke down that last sandwich", signed, "the plumbers".

riverdrifter 7 years, 4 months ago

If I could write as well as William S. Burroughs, I wouldn't jack around with what he wrote. -But I'd sure as hell write. He's a good one for sure.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

T.O.B. I never cared for John Smith's version.
In my version, everything is wonderful until the end...when everybody dies, except a handful of chosen survivors and myself. When the aliens arrive, I sell them premade meals and recipes from my cookbook.

hawklet21 7 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to write the next Harry Potter-type fad book. Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!

GretchenJP 7 years, 4 months ago

jeffh1 (Anonymous) says:

"HORROR!"

I'm with you, Jeffh1! Although I'd much rather write a horror movie than a horror book.

sigerson 7 years, 4 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle said:

"I'd like to tell the story about why being able to talk to fish is the dumbest super-power ever invented."

It is any dumber than the power to stretch various parts of your body over long distances? There's only one situation in which that comes in handy. If I've settled in to my comfy chair and realize I've left the TV remote way on the other side of the room, Elongated Man is the first member of the Justice League I'll call.

Otherwise, skip writing the books and just make the movies, instead.