Previous   Next

How often do you take digital photos?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 6, 2008

Browse the archives

“My wife is the one who takes most of them, but we take them all the time as a family. Most are with our camera, but I had to take some at the bar with my phone when KU won the Orange Bowl.”

“Just a couple of times a month unless I’m on vacation or something.”

“Probably a couple of times a week with either my camera or cell phone.”

“I haven’t taken any in a while, but I took a lot right after I got a new camera for graduation. Now I probably take one or two a week.”

Comments

lionsbearsono 7 years, 2 months ago

Camera at my side all the time for that special moment.

zettapixel 7 years, 2 months ago

Every minute of every hour of every day would be an appropriate response. ;)

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

I take digital photos pretty often for family sporting events and gatherings. I have a slr digital camera and a smaller camera which is easy to keep in the car or in the purse.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe it's a mommy thing - I think I must take at least 5 or 6 a week of all the cute,funny, silly, naughty, well you get the idea -- things the little one does.
My brother in law lost his oldest brother to cancer about the time my daughter was born - his mother told me once that when the boys were little she was often teased by family about the number of pictures she was always taking of the boys - she made me promise her to take lots and lots of pictures of my daughter - she said she spent hours going through photo albums and finding comfort in all the memories she had of not only the son she lost but just of the other boys when they were small. I have held to that promise and am forever snapping pictures of those little moments that go by us all to quickly!

sigerson 7 years, 2 months ago

R_I, I know that film has a reputation for handling contrast far better than digital cameras, at least the previous generations of them. And noise is a digital problem unless you go the SLR route. I like the crispness of digital and, as sgtwolverine says, the fact that you can shoot tons and tons of stuff at no cost, which I do with night and neon shots, and keep only what you want. But I understand the tactile, even sensual attraction of working with chemicals and watching the image gradually appear on the paper. Early in my filmmaking career, I edited 16mm film. Locked each end in the splicer, scraped the emultion off the exposed end of one clip, dabbed the celluloid with cement and slammed down the other clip onto it. Now, it's just buttons to push. Hell of a lot easier, though.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Quite often. That whole "making a living" thing demands it.

H_Lecter 7 years, 2 months ago

I took about 100 digital photos and 90 35mm photos at a football game Thur. Film for keepsakes, but more often digital for fun.

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't have as many pictures of my kids when they were little as I would like. I think I am making up for lost time now.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

never, sounds boring, why would I take pictures of my fingers?

or, do they mean "the digital exam?" gives a new meaning to "this is a stickup!"

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

furthermore, if they mean people taking pictures of other people's digits, sounds like the foot fetish for hands?

sigerson 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh, yeah. What do I do with all these photos, beobachter asked? Nearly all get deleted. I only keep about 15%. Some that remain are for business purposes and make it to my website. Some are done as volunteer work for nonprofit events and are sent on to the groups. So I only have about 3,200 photos in my collection.

sigerson 7 years, 2 months ago

My God, somebody still shoots film? I've taken about 28,000 digital pix in around 4 years and 2.5 months. That's how often I shoot. I feel naked without my camera, and I don't think anyone wants to see that.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

Get out the gear about 3X a week. Sometimes, I actually take a picture. :) sgt, where is my hat picture? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

R.I. don't let him/her make you feel bad because you enjoy the real physical form of photography. do you have a dark room, too? take girls in there and see what develops? sorry, couldn't resist the old dark room joke. now, no dark room necessary with the 1's and 0's.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Digital has cost benefits for volume shooters; I couldn't do what I do and make much money shooting film. But film still has value, and I'm glad some still use it.

Sue, I'll get you the picture this winter. The hat actually got its first workout a couple weeks ago when I had to shoot our local Christmas parade in a snowstorm.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

Silver based images, non-polymer pistols, black coffee, cell phones that honked your vehicle horn when you were in a restaurant. My eyes still get misty when I buy a cd.

--R.I. you go on then! that's cool. and you probably aren't swept away with the trend of "tripple frapachino chocolate mocha...coffee?" you probably drink it plain...which btw. is the way I do. cell phones that honked your horn...thought only the bag phones did that. ya' know R.I. if we keep this up, we'll be tellin some punk to "get off my lawn" soon.