Previous   Next

Are you interested to see who wins the Iowa caucuses?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. I don’t really follow the election until later on. I feel like it’s too early at this point.”

“Yes, I’m interested in each new development. I think it’s important to be as involved as possible. I sense an apathy present in the general populace that we all need to work to combat.”

“I don’t really care, because it’s not indicative of who will win the nomination or the presidency. I know I should be more interested, but they start bombarding us two years before the fact. I think it makes people callous towards the process in general.”

“Yes. I don’t really know much about the candidates at this point, so it will be a good indicator for me.”

Comments

TtownKUlivin 6 years, 11 months ago

Frickin' Kucinich finishes last?! What a somber moment for politics.

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

While I don't know the winner will be, I predict the American people will be the loser.

geppetto 6 years, 11 months ago

I think people care more about Britney Spears than the election. Hence we get this http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=3xdgkays4k

BigDog 6 years, 11 months ago

The winner in Iowa for Democrats is not a real indicator of much. The Democratic caucus in Iowa allows anyone to vote even those from out of state, an individual just has to state an intention to move to Iowa. Thus candidates have bus loads of out of state individuals who come in just for the day to vote in the Iowa caucus. Also, during Democratic caucus meetings, when a candidate has less than 15% of the vote they are basically eliminated and voters are recruited over to vote for candidates that are above the 15% threshold. As a result the Iowa Democratic caucus results are skewed.

To make a short story ... long ...... the Iowa results by alone mean very little

antney 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm most interested to see if Barack Obama will be able to rally thousands of unlikely young voters to caucus for him in Iowa. "The Illinois senator has promised to arrive at tonight's vote with an unlikely and unproven coalition of white liberals, non-Democrats, and black voters - groups that include large numbers of inexperienced caucus-goers." - Boston Globe.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Cole slaw? Potato salad? Nah ... it's peanut butter jelly time.

Tychoman 6 years, 11 months ago

scott, I see we are an optimist.

Do I care about the caucus? No. I just care about rocking out with my caucus out--of sight, and of mind.

sdinges 6 years, 11 months ago

Remember to participate in our own caucuses this year!

KUAlum2000 6 years, 11 months ago

Anyone know the difference between a caucus and a cactus?

With a cactus all the pricks are on the outside...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

TOB, stockpiling liquor and ammo is never a bad idea.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

me thinks our snap is becoming Texasized :)

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

How can anyone not be interested. You people have such a fascinating electoral system. You will notice that I did not say good. It is somewhat difficult for us northerners to understand the whole long process. Our system is so much simpler, but we do manage to elect people who seem to run our country pretty smoothly. Our economy is going great guns right now, we are happy and content, I do believe. But still I do take a great interest in what happens below the 49th parallel as it has such an affect on us.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 11 months ago

antney (Anonymous) says: If Obama wins in Iowa, he will achieve a new change in our political process and momentum will be behind him all the way to the White House.

Yes, until the day some loon assassinates him.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

"It is somewhat difficult for us northerners to understand the whole long process."

Don't worry ms_c - most of us down here have a hard time understanding the whole long process as well!

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

So true, ohjay, so true!

Question of the day -- yes I am interested -- but not obsessed.

EXks 6 years, 11 months ago

No, No, and NO! Political hacks in both parties and Iowans take themselves far too serious.

Why can't we have an American Idol version of electing the next prez?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

I will say that the best cinammon rolls I ever ate were made in Iowa.

JJHawq 6 years, 11 months ago

I've been a strong proponent of a constitutional ammendment that changes the process to more of a "reality show" process. We could all find out about he candidates in prime time - vote with our text messages - and narrow it down before deciding between two-three final candidates in the last two weeks of the show.

As silliy as it is - it would probably lead to a more educated voter base and better turn out.

JJHawq 6 years, 11 months ago

And DAMN do they make them cute in Juneau....

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm more interested in the fungus growing under my sink but thanks for asking.

labmonkey 6 years, 11 months ago

Iowa is Missouri and Arkansas north....who really cares what they think.

preebo 6 years, 11 months ago

I am disappointed that Edwards didn't do better, but I am pleased to see Clinton come in third. I want to support Obama, but I have yet to hear any specifics of the change that he speaks of. He speaks in vague generalities and innocuous terms. Either he is a crude natural politician or he has no real plans. In either case, how is this change. I guess I am too demanding, but I like Edwards' change mandate particularly against special interest. We'll see what happens in New Hampshire.