Previous   Next

Are you interested to see who wins the Iowa caucuses?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. I don’t really follow the election until later on. I feel like it’s too early at this point.”

“Yes, I’m interested in each new development. I think it’s important to be as involved as possible. I sense an apathy present in the general populace that we all need to work to combat.”

“I don’t really care, because it’s not indicative of who will win the nomination or the presidency. I know I should be more interested, but they start bombarding us two years before the fact. I think it makes people callous towards the process in general.”

“Yes. I don’t really know much about the candidates at this point, so it will be a good indicator for me.”

Comments

macon47 6 years, 3 months ago

ANYONE BUT HITLERALLY OR OSAMA BAMA WHY TO BOTH PARTIES HAVE SUCH LOSERS FOR CANDIDATES?

preebo 6 years, 3 months ago

I am disappointed that Edwards didn't do better, but I am pleased to see Clinton come in third. I want to support Obama, but I have yet to hear any specifics of the change that he speaks of. He speaks in vague generalities and innocuous terms. Either he is a crude natural politician or he has no real plans. In either case, how is this change. I guess I am too demanding, but I like Edwards' change mandate particularly against special interest. We'll see what happens in New Hampshire.

TtownKUlivin 6 years, 3 months ago

Frickin' Kucinich finishes last?! What a somber moment for politics.

max1 6 years, 3 months ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/12/27/DI2007122702075.html The early results are fascinating. They actually deserve the label "historic." I think we have seen two big things here tonight: The Reagan coalition is indeed fracturing, and the Republican Party is now certifiably in the midst of an indentity crisis. This does NOT mean there is no hope for the Republican candidate next November, but it does mean that the Republican Party we have been living with since 1980 is on its way to the dust bin of history, to coin a phrase. Second, of course, is the apparent repudiation in Iowa of the Clinton legacy and the propect of its renewal. washingtonpost.com: In Iowa, Obama Wins, Clinton Concedes

labmonkey 6 years, 3 months ago

Iowa is Missouri and Arkansas north....who really cares what they think.

GretchenJP 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm more interested in the fungus growing under my sink but thanks for asking.

JJHawq 6 years, 3 months ago

And DAMN do they make them cute in Juneau....

JJHawq 6 years, 3 months ago

I've been a strong proponent of a constitutional ammendment that changes the process to more of a "reality show" process. We could all find out about he candidates in prime time - vote with our text messages - and narrow it down before deciding between two-three final candidates in the last two weeks of the show.

As silliy as it is - it would probably lead to a more educated voter base and better turn out.

Windlass 6 years, 3 months ago

Not the least interested. I can think of a better class of people who I want f* me in my a*.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

I will say that the best cinammon rolls I ever ate were made in Iowa.

EXks 6 years, 3 months ago

No, No, and NO! Political hacks in both parties and Iowans take themselves far too serious.

Why can't we have an American Idol version of electing the next prez?

Ceallach 6 years, 3 months ago

So true, ohjay, so true!

Question of the day -- yes I am interested -- but not obsessed.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

"It is somewhat difficult for us northerners to understand the whole long process."

Don't worry ms_c - most of us down here have a hard time understanding the whole long process as well!

Kathy Getto 6 years, 3 months ago

antney (Anonymous) says: If Obama wins in Iowa, he will achieve a new change in our political process and momentum will be behind him all the way to the White House.

Yes, until the day some loon assassinates him.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

Snap -

I still have the bunker fully loaded from Y2K. I'm not sure how 10 year old Scotch tastes 8 years later, but I have been assured it will not taste like 18 year Scotch.

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

How can anyone not be interested. You people have such a fascinating electoral system. You will notice that I did not say good. It is somewhat difficult for us northerners to understand the whole long process. Our system is so much simpler, but we do manage to elect people who seem to run our country pretty smoothly. Our economy is going great guns right now, we are happy and content, I do believe. But still I do take a great interest in what happens below the 49th parallel as it has such an affect on us.

Ceallach 6 years, 3 months ago

me thinks our snap is becoming Texasized :)

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

TOB, stockpiling liquor and ammo is never a bad idea.

KUAlum2000 6 years, 3 months ago

Anyone know the difference between a caucus and a cactus?

With a cactus all the pricks are on the outside...

sdinges 6 years, 3 months ago

Remember to participate in our own caucuses this year!

Tychoman 6 years, 3 months ago

scott, I see we are an optimist.

Do I care about the caucus? No. I just care about rocking out with my caucus out--of sight, and of mind.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

Just like Kenya! Yeah! Time to polish my machete and dig my thumping stick out of the closet.

scottpewenofkit 6 years, 3 months ago

this election is a sham.

the only thing that will help any of us is if there is a massive, cataclysmic shift in human consciousness that will make everyone realize that we will all be better off if the entire U.S. government collapses.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Cole slaw? Potato salad? Nah ... it's peanut butter jelly time.

antney 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm most interested to see if Barack Obama will be able to rally thousands of unlikely young voters to caucus for him in Iowa. "The Illinois senator has promised to arrive at tonight's vote with an unlikely and unproven coalition of white liberals, non-Democrats, and black voters - groups that include large numbers of inexperienced caucus-goers." - Boston Globe.

BigDog 6 years, 3 months ago

The winner in Iowa for Democrats is not a real indicator of much. The Democratic caucus in Iowa allows anyone to vote even those from out of state, an individual just has to state an intention to move to Iowa. Thus candidates have bus loads of out of state individuals who come in just for the day to vote in the Iowa caucus. Also, during Democratic caucus meetings, when a candidate has less than 15% of the vote they are basically eliminated and voters are recruited over to vote for candidates that are above the 15% threshold. As a result the Iowa Democratic caucus results are skewed.

To make a short story ... long ...... the Iowa results by alone mean very little

BABBOY 6 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, I am interested as to who will jump out as the front runners. But, frankly, I am more interested in the KU game. I would prefer we get rid of the whole caucus and state caucus thing as well as the eclectorial college. Why should the small state of Iowa have so much say in determining who gets the biggest push at the start of this thing? Why should any state?

Anyway, Go Hawks, beat Tech.

And

Go Edwards, beat Hillary.

geppetto 6 years, 3 months ago

I think people care more about Britney Spears than the election. Hence we get this http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=3xdgkays4k

overplayedhistory 6 years, 3 months ago

Margaux DeRoux Will you help me with my apathy? I mean WOW!! Sorry the junior high center just never completely goes away.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 3 months ago

Slides his slaw towards snap... It's Cole's Law...

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 3 months ago

I've always been a potato salad man, myself.

Sigmund 6 years, 3 months ago

While I don't know the winner will be, I predict the American people will be the loser.