Previous   Next

Have you had any problems with potholes in the city?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 29, 2008

Browse the archives

“I ride a bicycle around town a lot, and a lot of potholes are on the edge in an obtrusive way; it’s dangerous.”

“It’s been so bad that I’ve blown a tire.”

“Kasold used to be really, really bad, but it’s gotten better. Outside of that it’s not too bad.”

“I think we’ve had a lot of bad weather and salt, so it’s to be expected. I think they (Lawrence Public Works department) are doing a great job.”

Comments

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

Evidently, the journal world hasn't driving on Louisana between 19th and 16th.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

The shoemaker incident started with a story about a Lawrence school crossing guard that would wave at cars.....

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

Man, there's this gang of potholes that camps outside of my house at night waiting for me to emerge in the morning, and they hassle me all morning long. It sux.

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

The question is too ridiculous to answer! It's right up there with, "Have you inhaled air today?"

The shoemaker incident . . . say it ain't comin back! Suggested Removals abounded and brave knights fell. It must not be allowed readmission into this sphere of reality.

adriennerm 6 years, 10 months ago

"Evidently, the journal world hasn't driving on Louisana between 19th and 16th."

Let's extent that comment to "Louisana between 23rd and 16th ."

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

A user called "save the whales instead" started posting all-caps rants about how horrible it was to have a school crossing guard that waved at cars.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

I've had problems with all sorts of holes in the city.

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

It's like driving an obstacle course on Barker St. Got go for an alinement tomorrow because of it. I'm going to start driving in the middle or other side or the road to avoid these suckers. Why is the East side of town always the last to get plowed or potholes fixed?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm not bothered by potholes at all. It's when I slam into one of those rare patches of street that gets on my nerves, as it destroys my vehicle's integrity.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

The real explosion occurred on a thread for the story about the child that was killed by a car. "Posted by SAVE_THE_WHALES_INSTEAD (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:43 p.m. (Suggest removal) I am representing myself as Attorney Pro Se . I will be filing a petiton in court to obtain Lawrence Journal World online records involving slander and liable. You have been notified. JOHN SHOEMAKER Posted by one_more_bob (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:46 p.m. (Suggest removal) You have to pause every few seconds to wipe the spittle off your monitor, don't you, Mr. Shoemaker?"

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

IIRC, OMB (of blessed memory) got disappeareded sometime after the *** incident.

Another blast from the past: "Posted by badger (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:48 p.m. (Suggest removal) STWI shouted: "I AM CALLING THE LJ WORLD RIGHT NOW AND DEMAND THAT THEY SHUT THESE BLOGS DOWN BEFORE ANYMORE OF THIS B.S. IS POSTED BY PEOPLE LIKE BOB, OUT OF RESPECT FOR THE KIDS FAMILY." Ain't your call, sweetcheeks. To put it in parlance you'll comprehend, "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF US!!!1!!!" It's a public message board. You're being a loon. Unless you own the Journal World, you don't get to say who says what, or how long they can say it for. You can take your toys and storm home, sugar-bunny (and I'd recommend it), but you don't get a say in who stays and plays. By the way, bringing a dead child into a discussion as some sort of sick rationalization, before he's even in the ground, that counts for all new kinds of sick in my book. You have, in fact, come up with new and exciting ways to be a thoroughly reprehensible simulation of a person in my book. P.S. Your caps lock is stuck. Perhaps you might look into that. Posted by The_Original_Bob (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:48 p.m. (Suggest removal) Comedy at it's finest, folks. Posted by The_Original_Bob (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:49 p.m. (Suggest removal) Badja - Cool. Another sweetcheeks comment! I'm going to start using that in everyday conversation."

misseve 6 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if 27th St from Iowa to Louisiana have been worked on, its like ducking landmines....

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says:"jonas, You know the only reason that gang hassles you is because your driving that Celica:"

I know, I know. Those American Union potholes really hate foreign imports, even the ones constructed using Japanese FDI right here in the USA! It seems like they can't discern the difference.

Out of curiosity, how did you know a drive a celica? Have I mentioned it before? If Lacolonia is paying you to spy on me I might have to mark you down a couple of notches.

Do I know you from somewhere?! (head explodes)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

jonas, unfortunately, R_I has some birth defect that enables him to retain the oddest information. It's really quite annoying...but he can't help it and so I guess he is to be pitied. He probably remembers his birth. :) (I have no doubt that he will probably find the post where you declared to the virtual world what kind of car you drive...or it could have been a lucky guess...but knowing R_I, I'd bet on the former.)

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

You mean do they play their music too loud or leave beer bottles on my lawn? Nope, the pothole family have been very good neighbors.

Now, pot's brother's family, the a**holes, that's a different story...

pisafromthewest 6 years, 10 months ago

What? Problems with potheads in the city?

What was the question?

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

In NYC they say it doesn't qualify as a "pothole" if you can climb back out of it without a ladder.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 10 months ago

Too many not happy with snow removal hmmmmmm

Too many not happy with potholes hmmmmmmm

Salt and plowing contribute to potholes hmmmmmmmm

Snow removal and potholes are high dollar complaints and maintenance hmmmmmm

I say cut awayyyyyyy back on snow plowing and save a ton of dough then maybe fewer potholes will surface..... Report Potholes: http://www.lawrencepublicworks.org/pothole_report_form.shtml

Lisia 6 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes I get annoyed by the potholes. Then I realize they're slowing down the idiots who drive too fast on the street where I live (the speed limit's 30, not 45!). I hope they don't fill those in anytime soon. I also like that someone has put out one of those remodeling dumpsters and the street is buckling a little bit near it, causing a speed bump effect.

But I'd like it if they filled in the ones on 19th St. and the other big streets. I noticed yesterday that the ones at 20th and Vermont had been filled.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 10 months ago

Since I don't have a car, I ride a bicycle everywhere I go. So - H E L L yes! I'm very familiar with the potholes on the city streets. I love 'em! they are always filled with liquid so black there is no possible way to determine how deep one is (with out using sonar equipment). This is one of the reasons I try to ride on sidewalks - but when the snowplows throw basketball sized chunks of ice ON the sidewalks, I HAVE to ride in and out of the potholes while trying not to end up on my butt in the street in front of someone's car.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Solve two problems at once. Fill the potholes with empTy buses and save $1,500,000.00!