Previous   Next

How much of your shopping do you do out of town?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 28, 2008

Browse the archives

“I go shopping out of town maybe three out of 10 times a month.”

“Not very much. I maybe go into K.C. once a month, but it’s usually just for dinner.”

“Very little. Maybe 5 percent or so. If I can find what I need, I will definitely buy it here before I look elsewhere.”

“Almost none. I can get everything I need here, and I like to support local businesses and avoid big box stores.”

Comments

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

Once a week, but just for eats or an AMC movie on rare occasions (KC movie theaters actually have leg room). Gas prices in Kansas City is cheaper too, and in some parts it is 10 cents a gallon less than Lawrence, so I make sure to fill up in Kansas City everytime.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

I buy almost all consumables in town with occasional internet shopping for specialty items. I'll hit thrift and pawn stores in other burgs when I'm out and about. I buy used when possible. I'd live out of a dumpster if I could!~)

BrianR 6 years, 9 months ago

Food = all of it, clothing = none. I am on the east coast enough that I shop in states where there is no sales tax on clothing. I'm there anyway so I might as well take advantage of it. We need a good alternative to the Home Depot - not much selection for such a huge store. I don't think there is a can of satin spar varnish for sale in all of Douglas County, what's up with that?

BrianR 6 years, 9 months ago

After re-reading my post I realize that it should convey that all food is purchased in town, and damn near everything else out of town. It doesn't really convey that...very well (at all).

Occasionally something online b/c prices are sometimes too good to pass up.

BigAl 6 years, 9 months ago

I support my hometown and do almost 100% of my shopping right here in Lawrence. I support business that supports me. Every dollar spent in Kansas City or Topeka does absolutely nothing for me, my family, my friends or my home town. I believe in Lawrence first.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

I occassionally shop for books and a few deals online, but the large majority of my shopping is local. I did go to KC for a few Christmas presents, and we might go to Legends maybe twice a year and to KC to eat for birthdays and special holidays. But I also hit the used bookstores in town, and other stores as often as possible. we go out to eat in town maybe once a week.
I won't go to the best buy here in town, so we go to the more personable store in OP when we absolutely have to.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 9 months ago

25 minutes down I-70 to the 110th Street exit. Great dining and excellent stores. I thought I was the only one who had figured this out. I still enjoy shopping as much as possible on Mass Street and dining at Jade Garden, but that's just a nice pleasant drive in the country and a great afternoon.

Raider 6 years, 9 months ago

If I'm shopping for a gift I love going downtown. If I'm shoopping for clothing or shoes for myself, it's off to the city. Lawrence has nothing for 30-something men in terms of clothing or shoes. Kohls and Penney's are awful, and don't get me started on the two shoe stores downtown. Overpriced and full of last years selections.

Food, toiletries, household goods I buy locally. I try and dine in town as well. My entertainment dollars are split 50/50. Kansas City has the better movie theaters, casinos, and better choice of concerts and plays. Someone needs to demolish the Southwind and put in an AMC or a Cinemark.

commonsense 6 years, 9 months ago

Clothes: Out of Town & Online (Not much here for the 30-40 something Male) Everything else: Lawrence

marionlibrarian 6 years, 9 months ago

97% local. The other 3% would be in Topeka--because I sure don't need what KC's selling.

black_butterfly 6 years, 9 months ago

I shop locally as much as possible because I believe in supporting the community, but if Lawrence merchants (especially downtown) want ALL people to support them they are going to have to start being more polite and accepting to all people. My 11 year old daughter and I went into Claire's, dressed nicely, ready to spend some money on all of that "tween" stuff in there, but the attend AND the MANAGER were so rude and impolite that I refused to purchase anything. I smiled at the attendant. The attendant looked me dead in the face and said nothing, same for the manager. When I asked the attendant about the ear piercing process she (with a disgused look on her face) told me as little information as possible. I noticed that they treated an asian couple the same way, yet when a blonde haired (natural blonde LOL) woman walked in the attendant cheerfully said, "Hello can I help you find anything?" It was clearly blatant and intentional. My daughter was disappointed that we didn't buy any Highschool Musical Stuff but I will not support bigotry and racism. I don't shop downtown a lot but I have heard similar stories from people about the downtown merchants treating people of color the same way. We are NOT all criminals and shop lifters. Some of us are honest, educated and work hard for a living.

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

I get groceries and toiletries in Lawrence, only. For all lumber/parts/man stuff we go to the Lowe's in Topeka. For clothes, shoes, etc. I prefer Oak Park or Great Mall. For fun we like Legends. Pin Up Bowl is good. Dave & Busters rocks. Cheeseburger has the cutest bartender ever (my best friend). For furniture I go to Nebraska Furn. Mart. I seriously love that place and could spent a fortune in there every time I go.

trinity 6 years, 9 months ago

there is no shopping in the little town i live in-well that is unless you need more than nearly expired milk and ciggies from a convenience store! so yep i do pretty much ALL my shopping out of town! ;)

when i come to lawrence i love to swoop in to several stores in your town. big treat for a lil' ol' gal from the sticks! :)

Lisia 6 years, 9 months ago

When I can't avoid shopping, it's local. Why drive to do something I hate?

hawklet21 6 years, 9 months ago

Groceries, booze, and cigarettes: all Lawrence. Clothes, it depends. I would prefer to go to the Legends or Plaza to have more choices closer together. I like to dump the car and stretch my legs.

samsnewplace 6 years, 9 months ago

90% out of town, very little in town, clothing esp. KC area

notajayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

We do virtually all of our shopping "out of town." Of course, for us, that means driving into Lawrence!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

I see that cool is still plugging marioni's 'forum' with the misleading cybersquatting name.

thomgreen 6 years, 9 months ago

Hmm..I'm forced to buy my jeans at the Buckle (comes from being too damn tall). Love Garden is, by far my favorite place to shop here in Lawrence. I buy CD's from them when I could get a copy from a friend. I never want them to go out of business. Other than that? Hmm...I buy my beer from Free State, some groceries from The Merc (though Costco is the source for the rest of them). But I go to The Plaza to buy my dress shoes (Aldo's), Westport to buy non-concert t-shirts (The Bunker). I like some of the local stores, but just can't afford, or have a need to buy stuff from them. If I had more money I would have bought almost all of my furniture from Blue Heron. I don't skateboard anymore, but I like going into White Chocolate (thought about buying a deck, just to support the cause). Target for almost everything else I need to buy. I hate Wal-Mart (for reasons other than the typical evil empire argument). And I try and eat out at locally owned restaurants rather than chain restaurants. So, I guess to some degree, I'm a middle of the road type of person.

johnwoods 6 years, 9 months ago

Shame on all you Kansas City shoppers.

I buy almost everything locally or from online retailers, such as Amazon.com, which remits sales taxes to Lawrence. FYI: Buy online from Kansas merchants and they are supposed to remit sales tax back to Lawrence.

spammer89 6 years, 9 months ago

Other than Checkers for my food and I buy my cars and trucks local, the rest is done out of town.

George_Braziller 6 years, 9 months ago

If you are talking about wandering aimlessly looking down a street or in a mall looking for something to spend money on the answer is "never." Not in town or out. I have a hard enough time just trying to just keep up with the regular day-to-day shopping for necessities. When I do go "shopping" it is for a particular item -- walk in the front door, pick it off the shelf, head to the cash register, pay for it and leave.

toefungus 6 years, 9 months ago

I try to avoid shopping at all costs. But when I need to buy supplies, I buy them in Lawrence. Unless they raise the sales taxes again, then I will try to find alternatives that are cost effective.

black_butterfly 6 years, 9 months ago

Big Al gave the best response, I agree also.

Even though Walmart may be cheaper than Target, I prefer to shop at Target because they actually care what their store looks like and their sales associates are friendly. At Walmart there are always boxes or some big cart in the way and the workers act like you're in THEIR way when you are shopping!

I like to shop at Checkers for groceries because it is locally owned. Jim is nice and speaks to everyone. I know I am supporting a good business. They are the best on food prices. Are they the only ones that still have 2.99/gallon milk in town? LOL.