Previous   Next

What is the worst haircut you’ve ever had?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 27, 2008

Browse the archives

“I remember getting one when I was 13 that made me look like Mel Gibson in ‘Lethal Weapon.’ It was feathered and everything.”

“A reverse mullet; long on the top and in front, and nice and short on the sides and in back. It’s all the rage.”

“Oh, that’s easy. For my whole life, I had hair down to my knees until I was in a car accident and had to have brain surgery. When I woke up, I was totally bald.”

“I was getting a bowl cut when I was a kid, and they shaved a big chunk out of it on accident.”

Comments

H_Lecter 6 years, 10 months ago

I got shaved by a nurse once. I'll leave it at that.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

When I was 11, I wanted a "Dorothy Hammil" haircut. The guy convinced my mom I would look adorable in a "pixie cut." He just kept cutting and cutting and so I just focused on his degree on the wall and kept telling myself that it would look good when he was done. When he burst into tears, I figured my hair was past the point of redemption. We got that haircut free (how kind) and I learned how to cut my own hair after that.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

back when i was in junior high&got gum in my pony tail while at the swimming pool-and whacked the pony tail off by myself when i got home. :( self-inflicted worse haircut!

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

When my eldest was little, I wanted my hair short for simplicity's sake. And then I decided to get married in three weeks. Decided I needed a perm to help it.
It didn't.
It's very depressing to have a bad hair day at your wedding.

aeroscout17 6 years, 10 months ago

Hair? What is this thing called hair? As mine started turning gray, I started pulling them out. Now I don't have any!

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

I cut my own bangs. I guess I have the "self-inflicted bad haircut" gene.

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

When I was younger and had no real need to add color to my hair :) I thought getting the high lights, low lights treatment would be fun. Well, when she finished I looked like a calico cat! I was so displeased that I ask her to just cover it all over . . . then I looked like I should have a role on the Munsters or Addams Family!! As soon as possible I got a very short haircut and let it grow out.

tyger_lily 6 years, 10 months ago

When I was a freshman starting high school, I decided I wanted to go short. My hair is curly and red. The shorter is it, the curlier it is. Needless to say, I had the nickname of Big Bird for several years after that. Never, never again will I go short!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

Several months ago, the hubby asked me (at 8 pm) if I would cut his hair. I said I was too tired...ask me tomorrow...earlier in the day. After a few minutes, I heard the sound of clippers running. The hubby came out looking like a nuclear accident victim with tufts of different length hair all over the back of his head. I was mad that I was going to have to get up and "go fix it" for him. Our 11 yr old daughter took pity on him and told him that she would be happy to fix it. Off they went. The next thing I heard was "Oh, Hunny! What have you done?" The hubby came out and showed us his inverted mohawk. (He forgot to show the child how to hold the clippers "rightside up.") I had to go shave his head bald with tears of laughter streaming down my face. Priceless!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 10 months ago

I went to a barber in high school, let'm have at it and received a bowl cut...big, giant, goldfish, globe bowl! I had exceptionally frizzy hair and my new fro made me look like the rare, brown, brillow pad asteroid with a squirming white boy tail...hovering in horrible space and time.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 10 months ago

My mother used to cut my bangs when I was little and would cut them about a half inch long. Now my bangs are always past my eyebrows; she traumatized me for life. She used to cut my dad's hair too; he always had a flat top. One day he pissed her off, so she gave him a mohawk. He started going to the barbershop after that.

coolmom 6 years, 10 months ago

i cut my hair when i was 6 or so and apparently in the hope that the parents wouldnt notice also cut both my sisters hair. i would say we bonded over our horrible hair cuts but they may remember it differently...

acg 6 years, 10 months ago

When I was in the 2nd grade my mom thought it would be too cute if I had a tight little perm, so she trimmed my hair short, got the smallest perm rods she could find and permed my hair. For the first month or so, I looked like Eunice on Mama's Family. Then the curls stopped holding their shape so much and it started to frizz. For the next several months I had a 'fro. My school pics from that year are awful and I'm still a little mad about it. ; )

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

Haircuts don't kill people; people kill hairstylists.

Back when I was young and obviously foolish (I think maybe late elementary school-ish), I had this bizarre haircut featuring a very short buzz cut ... except for my bangs, which remained full-length. Looking back, I have no idea why I thought that would be a good idea.

lubyloo 6 years, 10 months ago

Lisia 6 years, 10 months ago

In 5th grade, I decided I wanted a perm. My hair wasn't very long and I ended up looking up like Little Orphan Annie.

Mylantahawk 6 years, 10 months ago

My mom used to cut my hair, but I was a fidgeter. So, she decided I needed to go to the barber for my next cut (I think I was about 8, 1967). I'd never been to one. She just dropped me off in front and told me she'd be back in about 30 minutes. I enter the shop. The barber asked me what kind of hair cut I wanted. Not knowing the lingo, I said "Real short on the sides with a strip down the middle" The guy gave me a mohawk! My mom was furious! How was I to know?

sourpuss 6 years, 10 months ago

Despite the fact I did not plan or ask for such a thing, my last haircut made me look like Annie Lennox. I was not happy, not at all. Of course, now that it is grown out, I look like the villianous douche in a John Hughes movie. "Why won't you go out with me, Molly Ringwald? I drive a Mercedes! Love me!"

Marty_McFly 6 years, 10 months ago

The haircut I had back in 1985 had to be the worst.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

That would be the time the barbecue grill flashed over on me.

But seriously, I have reached an age where still needing a haircut is a good thing.

lubyloo (Anonymous) says:

"Demi Moore's short haircut in "Ghost." It looked nice on her back then, but it looked ridiculous on me."

Good thing you didn't see "GI Jane."

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 10 months ago

I once let my brother take a stab at it. Electric shears on a fro nearly the size of Undercover Brother's. Do I need to paint a picture of how bad that was? All the girls at school were gracious and told me it looked good. None of the dudes said anything. I think I know the truth about that cut.

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

I had the undercut in middle school, where they leave the top and shave the sides and the back up to the crown, then you can grow the top out real long. The best was swooping it to the side so you had the side of your head shaved up on one side and it all swooped down the other.

/hangs head. na shi bu hao yisi.

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

R-I: No, I was never much for skateboarding. I might have been on a bike, though. Mostly I was the punk kid going somewhere to hide and smoke cigarettes.

oldvet 6 years, 10 months ago

1968... had one DI screaming at the line moving in, another screaming at the people coming out, spent about 20 seconds quietly in the chair and then had to pay the guy $0.50 for the haircut... MCRD, San Diego

GretchenJP 6 years, 10 months ago

I've never really had a bad haircut, just bad perms.

pace 6 years, 10 months ago

Times were lean, my 13 year old boy looked shabby, i thought how hard could it be? He looked like the little dutch boy, a hairdresser saw him on the street and literally took him in and addressed the problem. My boy's advice to his sister, never let mom cut your hair.

stargazer 6 years, 10 months ago

hey stephen i know who you are and where you live.

Emily Scholle 6 years, 10 months ago

My hair is really thick and curly and I've finally reached a point where I can honestly say to myself that cutting it short is a BAD idea.

Other than that, I've done some pretty heinous bangs before. I think the most memorable thing I've done to my hair was when I was about 7 years old. I decided that I wanted to have really nice eyebrows like grown-up women. However, rather than plucking (for fear that my mom would yell at me for using her expensive tweezers) I found the next best thing: pink-handled safety scissors! I had huge chunks of both eyebrows taken out and though my parents seemed furious at the time, they told me later on that it was all they could do not to laugh.

Let me tell you, there is nothing more uncomfortable than being in second grade and having your mom draw eyebrows on you before you go to school each morning.

kell101 6 years, 9 months ago

I remember when I was about 5 I wanted my hair curly like the other girls and my mom tried to curl it. She ended up notting it and I had to get it cut out. I had had my hair to my waist but it ended up at my chin. I cried the whole time they cut it and for about 10 days after. I ended up keepin it that lenght untill I was a mommy. Now I never try to curl my daughter's hair- I take her to the beautician so it doesn't end up a big mess.