Previous   Next

What movie do you think should win for best picture in 2007?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 22, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think ‘Atonement’ should win. It’s an awesome love story that’s really truthful about the way things work out. It hurts your soul, but it’s so good.”

“I think ‘No Country for Old Men’ is going to win, but I think ‘Atonement’ should win. It won’t because it didn’t get a nomination for best director or best actor, and it seems like British films are on the outs with the academy.”

“I’ve only seen one of the movies nominated. It’s really the only one I would go see, and that’s ‘Juno.’ It’s nice to see something that’s more original and more about the younger experience nominated, so I hope it wins.”

Atonement.’ I like the romance and the historical period, and it’s poignant that one person’s actions so dramatically alter the lives of other people.”

Comments

Agnostick 6 years, 1 month ago

The Silence of the Brokeback Gump!

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

"Gareth- How does that Film Actor's Guild from Team America treat you?" labmonkey

Hoo haa!!!

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

RI.... At the very least, top 10.

Gareth- How does that Film Actor's Guild from Team America treat you?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

"Merriam Webster says: "best ( adj, superlative of good) excelling all others" In the end, there can be only one." - snap_pop_no_crackle

Highlander... Best movie...

Ever.

Taco_Freaker 6 years, 1 month ago

I took some great pictures last year in Vegas.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow. A couple posters mention they don't like movies and Left Coast Angry Dude starts spouting off. That's some quality ignorance, Gareth.

Gareth 6 years, 1 month ago

So, I guess since all you redneck yokels hate the "cockroaches" who don't live in the "real world", but instead live in "Hollywierd" --- I guess that you're going to stop watching TV and Movies, then?

Of course not -- the flyover states talk a big game, but end up being the consumer sheep that we all know they are.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

Logic- good movie....but I think it would technically be last year. Makes you want to go to Fuddruckers.

The Peterbuilt Semi that played Optimus Prime should win best actor.

I tend to agree with my dad's take on Hollywood.... in 2002, they were talking about all the security surrounding the Oscars due to 9/11. I looked over at dad and jokingly asked him "you wouldn't shed a tear if the terrorists dove a plane into the Oscars." Dad's reply.... "They wouldn't need a plane....just a can of cockroach spray." (He has referred to Hollywood as cockroaches for years now).

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Why does there need to be only one best movie when often there are several.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 1 month ago

Juno was way overrated and certainly isn't worthy of a Best Picture award. If anything, Jennifer Garner deserved a best supporting actress nod, even though I never cared for her any of her work previously.

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure there must be something in the world that I care less about than what movie will win the best film oscar. Hmm, no I take that back, there is nothing.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

SF Sue, I was only using Gores' movie too illustrate....I never said it WAS in '07. You guys are meanies today!

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

I call it a kaiser blade, some call it a slingblade. I like how you talk. Give me some of them french fried taters. What? no Oscar? I quit watching.

TtownKUlivin 6 years, 1 month ago

The ending to No Country for Old Men was brilliant. I would like to call it 'cinematic poetry'. I forget the name, but the man in the wheel chair is the key character. When Tommy Lee goes to talk to him, the ending becomes very clear, don't worry it took me a couple viewings of the movie to catch it as well. It seems so complicated, yet it's at the tip of your nose. Great Movie and it should/will win!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

"For those that are around the age of Tommy Lee Jones, you may relate all too well with the ending making it even more depressing." - blue73harley

blue, thats why there is FLOMAX®...

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

"No Country for Young Juno"

From the creators of "Meet the Spartans"

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

Idiocracy--it's got electrolytes!

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Any movie that references handjobs from Starbucks and law degrees from Costco should be award-winning.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Any movie with a monkey or a penguin gets my vote.

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

TOB - No Country is a good movie with a bleak ending...that is really a non-ending. I completely agree with the article that said, "... but the crime drama also frustrates audiences with a cryptic, unsatisfying third act. It's safe to say that a significant number of the 5,829 Oscar voters actively hate the ending."

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm with those that didn't see any of the movies in question and I'm with jonas in that I think Spidey 3 was absolutely terrible.

ChristmasC, VDay was last week...but thanks for the sentiment. R_T, Gore's movie was 2006.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, TOB, this OTS is about movies, isn't Gore's rag considered a 'movie'? I was merely trying to illustrate what (can be) held up (by the left) as a 'movie'. And if you get a charge out of thinking I'm Lulu, then go ahead and think it---who's stoppin' ya?!

I may have three of four other user names for all you know and you're not sharp enough to catch them, ever think about that? I'm not Lulu.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

Jeez R T. You are really going down the drain. I don't recall anyone bringing up the kook Gore. I prefer you when you post as Lulu. The R T character isn't even entertaining anymore.

And I have Zero clue what Christmas Carol is rambling about. I think she is being sarcastic in a paranoid Marioni type of way.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Did anyone mention Gore, Right-thinker, or are you just being paranoid again? You should be cautious, you might make Lulu take over again.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

If anyone thinks "An Inconvenient Truth" is deserving of an award, strictly by artistic criteria, you are not living in a real world. If it has suited your ideology and fits into your agenda, then yes, for some, it is an outstanding movie. Me? I could guzzle a dozen XL COD's from Starbucks and that movie would still put me in a coma----Al Gore puts me in a coma.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Why should I care? The awards Hollywood bestows upon itself are relevant only to Hollywood. I live in the real world.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

I sure like movies where the superhero whether realistic or not is under survialliance has to plow over innocent bystanders to get the chore done. All just to save his precious little girlfriend in a covert operation to "Save the Planet" once again.

You know "the ends justifies the means"

What movies would you recommend?

I like the ... oh, well I would imagine you don't care what I like do you?

How about CSA it was great in it's politically correct bigoted way.

Edward Scissorhands was a real winner and so was Flatliners and Nightmare on Elm Street.

I sure like the propaganda movies that like to tell us how to thinnk.

It is all just an opinion anyway.

I am not one to think I need to see the latest all the time, but I sure am glad to see all your Romance movies hit the charts.

What do you all have to claim out of Lawrence besides The Day After and CSA. Some other movie about history called "NOrth and South" Pull your head out of history and live in the present.

Don't have a nice day. McDonald's is just around the corner. Do I have the right address?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

"Didn't see one: So I don't know:" RI

Same here. In fact, I haven't been in a movie theater in about three years I'd guess. Out of this year's movies I saw on the tv... Eastern Promises was pretty good. That cat from the hobbit movies is a damn good actor. Um, The Big Lebowski was good. Same with O' Brother. I guess I'm saying I imagine No Country will be real good when I can grab it on DVD. So, I'll vote for it.

BABBOY 6 years, 1 month ago

Great. People are going to criticize people tastes in movies.

Carol: the movie with Washington was Deja Vu. It was good movie!

Everyone have a great day!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

Movies have lost me for years now. 99 out of 100 just suck--period-- anymore. The last time I can remember going to see a movie that really moved me, was about 8 or 9 years ago when "American Beauty" came out.

Other than that, "The Assassination of Jesse James" I thought was a very excellent movie---my wife and I watched it on PPV one cold snowy day, which is rare for me to do, and I thought it was a superb production.

This may surprise the people on this forum who intensely dislike my views, but many decent movies I watch anymore are considered 'art house' flicks. Mainstream Hollywood is a joke---for many reasons.

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

"No Country for Old Men" was sure not the "feel good" movie for 2007.

unklemonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

Something I can actually watch and be entertained in the process, like Juno. Atonement? Seriously? BORING!

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, Christmas Carol, but Spiderman III was absolutely terrible.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

Anything with Denzel Washington. Especially where the one where he plows right into another car going backwards on a bridge in his Hummer time machine trying to solve a crime about a boat that blew up and his ex-girlfriend fling where time can be folded like a piece of paper.

Does anyone know the name of this movie?

So many great plot lines. Maybe the murderous barber by Johnny Depp. Tim Burton sure has a way with lighting on the set that amazes the eye.

Actually I think the solo movie by Will Smith is really interesting maybe he got all the money from it being as how he is the only actor in it for the rest of the holocaust except for the dog and the streets that remain in tact even though there is nobody else on earth except some French monsters. That way he can race 120mph down the lone streets of New York and save the human race. Was that "I am Legend"? Boy, we have some real winners.

Actually if you want my real opinon and most of you won't after slamming about all the movies I can remember seeing advertised in the last year that looked so great and know anything about

I actually saw Spiderman 3 and I think it is the winner as far as I am concerned because it was for children and it was great in the last 20 minutes where the Green Goblin and Spiderman learn forgiveness. Spiderman learns not to avenge his dead uncle and Green Goblin realizes that the most important thing in his life is not avenging his father who was not that good afterall. As with The Sandman's vendetta against all humanity not to hate the world for a lost one and his condition as well as his daughter's which is what the Green Goblin and Spiderman had to learn.

I think the plot line and ending to Spiderman was great. Especially as the sun rises on a night's battle among the Green Goblin, Spiderman, The Sandman and Venom.

Do you really think about what you see on TV?

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm with R-I. Didn't make it to the movies much this last year.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

Didn't see one... So I don't know...