Previous   Next

Who do you think should have a street named after them?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 15, 2008

Browse the archives

“Coach Fambrough. He’s kind of an institution at the university and has been involved with the football program for 62 years. He’s a likable curmudgeon.”

“I’d say Danny Manning, because he’s one of the greats who stayed around to help the university and keep KU a winning team.”

“Dan Rockhill. I think he’s brought a lot of good architecture to Lawrence and done a lot of good things for the community.”

“Florence Nightingale, because she’s kind of the first lady of nursing and helped transform the art of nursing into what it is today.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

Wilberforce Iowa. Oh, wait, never mind......

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

Man, the pilot light blew out over the night and it's f'n Cold in here!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

Kermit the frog. It's not easy being green.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 10 months ago

Mick and Greg Palmer for their wonderful talents among the few actual craftsmen in the community. Cabinets is their forte.

The Milstein family for realizing the value of Downtown Lawrence and striving to maintain and restore downtown structures.

Don Shepherd for his many many volunteer hours to the city of Lawrence.

coolmarv 6 years, 10 months ago

'Marion Lane' ??

'Bob Steffes Expressway' Make it a road that leads out of town.

I was always a big fan of 'Bob Billings'. I think he did good things and should be recognized.

How about the current city commish. Put it on a dead end street.

All roundabouts should be named after the last city commish.

All kidding aside I like the idea of re-naming the portion of Missouri, on campus, after Don Fambrogh. Brilliant!

LogicMan 6 years, 10 months ago

Not who, but what ... here in Lawrence, the rest of the 50 states.

coolmarv 6 years, 10 months ago

blue73harley (Anonymous) says:

When streets are renamed, I just wish that they would rename the ENTIRE street. It is stupid to have streets switch names depending on which section you are on.

I agree and if the street ends don't pick the name back up blocks later. Ousdahl, Harvard. and why is there a Wagon Wheel around Deerfield and then again in west Lawrence. They are totaly unrelated.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 10 months ago

Roundabouts came on the scene through KDOT &DOT and were first accepted and approved under the watch of Sue Hack, Erv Hodges,Jim Henry and Marty Kennedy if my memory serves me well. Yes long before Boog ever thought of being a city commissioner.

How about a street named after Roundabouts? Roundabout Circle or Roundabout Cove

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

I think we should all have streets named after us.

Gonna' be a b*tch getting around town, though, what with every other street named "Anonymous."

tvc 6 years, 10 months ago

Isn't that something! We can call Ms. Clinton a bitch. Could you imagine if I said we should name a street ngger after Mr. Obama??

coolmarv 6 years, 10 months ago

notajayhawk (Anonymous) says:

I think we should all have streets named after us.

I like 'Cool Marv Lane'. is that vain?

How about Max Falkenstein? He's about as notable a Lawrencian as they come.

gccs14r 6 years, 10 months ago

It depends on where in town the street is. If it's on the East side, then how about some important names from history? Sappho, Aristotle, and Leonardo da Vinci are some that come to mind. If it's the West side, then maybe use some names from pop culture such as Partridge Family Way or Brady Bunch Drive.

johnadavies 6 years, 10 months ago

I think they should rename Bob Billings Parkway to Barbara Billingsley Parkway because all he did was give up big overpriced houses and she gave us (at least virtually) Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver and it's a better world for that!

conservativepunker 6 years, 10 months ago

William Burroughs, or Hugh Beaumont, a native son of Lawrence.

dajudge 6 years, 10 months ago

Britney Spears. Isn't she related to Billy Spears and the Beer Bellies?

SpeedRacer 6 years, 10 months ago

Part of the turnpike through the south of Topeka is already named for MLK. How about Phog Allen or Wilt Chamberlain?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

R_I, sometimes even curmudgeons have people who like them for their curmudgeonly qualities.

moo 6 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, tvc! I keep wondering why that is ok! I have seen all sorts of names applied to Ms. Clinton (the two most common being the "b-word" and the "c-word"). Why is it ok in our society to use incredibly offensive words like this openly about women, when even in an anonymous situation like this, I rarely see slurs openly used towards other marginalized groups? I expect if someone did use a racial slur towards Obama it would be removed almost immediately. Do women not deserve the same respect. (I know the answer to this, our society tells us everyday: No.)

moo 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and about the street names. Just please don't rename another numbered street! May someone strike me down if I ever call 15th, Bob Billings Parkway, absolutely no offense to its namesake. It's just silly.

Chrissy Neibarger 6 years, 10 months ago

It's amazing at how much money it costs a business just because they decide to change the name of a street.. The postage to notify all your clients, all the new letterhead, envelopes, publications you print, etc, as well as stickers with the new address to put over all the old materials. We are ones that USED to be 15th street, and 3 years later are still finding stuff that has to be reprinted, because it now has a wrong address that the post office won't deliver to. It's actually a very frustrating processes to go through.

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm a big fan of Heironymous T. Twentythird, myself. Glad to see that Lawrence already honored him.

BorderRat 6 years, 10 months ago

I think we need to go back to Dragstrip and Hang Tree Roads.

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 10 months ago

What do you think our "Asking your opinion" section should be called?

a) "On the street"

b) "At the Borders"

c) "On the sidewalk next to the LJW building"

d) "We don't really care what you think"

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 10 months ago

and the street name, well, we should rename just the intersection of 23rd & Iowa "Walmart Way" and hopefully they'll get the hint and we'll get a third Walmart. Keep your fingers crossed. Oh, I hope Doug Compton can profit off of that too, wouldn't you like that Sue Hack?

not_dolph 6 years, 10 months ago

Sven Alstrom Circle - it would definitely have to be a dead-end.

6 years, 10 months ago

I second northtown, BOOG ST. Or maybe Highberger Drive. Either way Boog's dedication to our city deserves recognition.

johnwoods 6 years, 10 months ago

How about first every president, like with did with states, then every county in Kansas, then every country. I remember when it was easy to find your way around Lawrence with State names and numbered streets.

Why the heck did we have to rename part of 23rd st. Clinton Parkway? Nothing against Bob Bilings, but this was a stupid re-naming deal too making it more confusing for people.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 10 months ago

How do elected officials or city officials earn the honor of having things named after them. They do not necessarily work harder than anyone else and most are paid well for their time.

Without taxpayers nothing gets done even if most of things that get done are NOT what the taxpayers want.

Elected people get honored for NOT listening to the majority of taxpayers instead listen mostly to the wealthier taxpayers that fund their campaigns.

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

How about picking someone of high moral character and excellent ethics? Can anyone think of someone currently or from the past that fits that bill?

Newell_Post 6 years, 10 months ago

J.M. Sovereign: Godsent

All sovereign Americans would be allowed to navigate their vessels on J.M. Sovereign: Godsent Pike without regard for insurance, drivers licenses, safety equipment, speed, or sanity.