Previous   Next

Do you have a Valentine?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, my girlfriend. We might go out for Valentine’s Day, but we’re really going to celebrate on Saturday by going to the roller derby in Kansas City.”

“I don’t have a Valentine, so I’m going out to drink margaritas at Carlos O’Kelly’s.”

“Yes. I think we’re going to Kansas City to catch a show and go to dinner, or however she wants to spend my money.”

“No. I think I’m just going to stay home, drink some wine and watch sappy movies with my girlfriends.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Nothin' says love like the roller derby!!!!

My Valentine is my lovely wife.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes. My Valentine of almost 20 years left me yesterday to go on a 5 day ski trip with the guys! Oh well, I plan to make a special Valentine dinner for my kids tonight and to plot my revenge. ;)

sourpuss 6 years, 8 months ago

So this On The Street shows us that dorky guys have valentines, but cute girls don't.

It is BIZZARO WORLD!!!

And Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

juscin3 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes I sure do have a Valentine. Today we also share our 6th year of being married.
Not sure what we are gonna do yet. I'm leaving that up to him. ;)~

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Yep, my hubby. He's just the greatest. I bought him like 15 valentine's cards and I hid them all over the house in places that he goes specifically (lunch box, sock drawer, his coffer grinder, etc.)

preebo 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, my lovely wife, Jessica. We were married seven years ago Monday (February 11th), so we have already celebrated a pseudo-Valentine's Day.

jen82 6 years, 8 months ago

Billy knows what's up - Bloody Valentine: #1 ranked KC Roller Warriors All Stars vs. Denver Roller Dolls. Saturday, Feb 16 at 7pm. Winnwood Skate Center (I-35 and Chouteau). http://www.kcrollerwarriors.com for more info.

Or, check out our home season at Hale Arena, starting March 29!

coolmarv 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, My wonderful wife of fifteen years, but If I didn't I think I might just go to Carlos O"Kellys and have some margaritas.

Just kidding.

Happy Valentines Day 'D'.

I love you. "coolmarv"

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes: my camera. To celebrate, we're going to go photograph an art class for the local paper.

bearclaws 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't have a Valentine this year (but I'm not throwing myself a pity party). Looks like I may have to head to Carlos O'Kelly's for one of those margaritas.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

Didn't Billy Spears front a band in the early 80's?

Sgt. - Look dude, from the answers given on the street, you need to put down you camera and pay attention. Youth truely is wasted on the young.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

sgt, would it be a "life drawing" class? My best class ever was when a friend of mine came in wearing cowboy boots and a robe. It quickly donned on me that he would be our model (he didn't know that I was in that class). I just winked at him and asked him if he was gonna keep the boots on. (He was mortified!) heheheheheheeeee still laughing about it!

dminear60 6 years, 8 months ago

Every day is Valentine's Day with my dear husband.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

Ha! No, sue, it's a basic watercolors class, so I don't think I'll run into that sort of situation. It's probably a good thing, too; I don't think the newspaper would run photos of that sort of class.

notajayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

I can't talk about my valentine ... my wife might read this!

Just kidding ... must have been a good time to get married, we're also gonna' be celebrating 6 years in a few weeks. So far things just keep getting better.

somedude20 6 years, 8 months ago

Just for V-day...

I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long. Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song. So while she lay there sleeping, I read the paper in bed. And in the personals column, there was this letter I read:

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. I'm the lady you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

I didn't think about my lady, I know that sounds kind of mean. But me and my old lady, had fallen into the same old dull routine. So I wrote to the paper, took out a personal ad. And though I'm nobody's poet, I thought it wasn't half-bad.

"Yes, I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. I'm not much into health food, I am into champagne. I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon, and cut through all this red tape. At a bar called O'Malley's, where we'll plan our escape."

So I waited with high hopes, then she walked in the place. I knew her smile in an instant, I knew the curve of her face. It was my own lovely lady, and she said, "Oh, it's you." And we laughed for a moment, and I said, "I never knew"..

"That you liked Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. You're the love that I've looked for, come with me, and escape."

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain. If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape. You're the love that I've looked for, come with me, and escape."

pagan_idolator 6 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if H. Lector would give me his heart. I'm feeling a mite peckish today.....

sunflowerks54 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes I have a wonderful Valentine and we are going dancing tonight!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

R_I - LOL, no. I guess I was just typing stream of conciousness after reading Billy's answer about "really celebrating" Valentine's Day on Saturday by going to the roller derby. I'd quite frankly be scared of even talking to a roller derby chick, let alone marry one!

denak 6 years, 8 months ago

Why, no Mom, I don't. Thanks for asking.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, somedude, for the groovy flashback. However, I have to admit I listened to that song for years, and sang along the chorus, before I actually listened to the song. When I heard what it was really about for the first time I was mortified. I kept thinking, why is he not mad that she's taking out personals while in a relationship with him and why is she not mad that he's answering them? Ah, love is blind. And stupid. :)

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

I have a wonderful wife, but we don't particularly worry about Valentine's Day, and she's working a 12 hour shift at the hospital today, so is likely to be somewhat crabby by the evening. We'll go out to a nice restaurant soon. Between this and her birthday, we get to hit Cafe Beautiful and Pachamama's within a week's span of time, I think. Should be great.

H_Lecter 6 years, 8 months ago

The heart should be marinated for a minimum of 24 hrs because of the density. I prefer a mixture of something acidic to help break into the cells with something sweet to enhance the flavor.
Asparagus spears grilled with some oil and oyster sauce; throw in some zucchini.

A Pinot Noir to finish

adriennerm 6 years, 8 months ago

I have no Valentine :-( Just moved here from Chicago in the summer of 2006. After finding a job, getting my daughter settled in a new school district...I haven't had much time to socialize... hopefully next year will be different.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all!!

riverdrifter 6 years, 8 months ago

Love is a dog from hell.. Oh, wait, it's no longer Feb 14th. Good deal!

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

Babboy, my boss just got back from HI yesterday. It rained for most of the last two weeks of his vacation. Not too sunny and beautiful there right now. But you're right, I'm also in Topeka and it's gotten cold and smells like snow.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 8 months ago

I feel so very carded...in a hallmark of snark...a profit of tears...in arrows and hearts...a ratcheting fear...which is not very smart...in following years...and this day on the chart...tell me you love me...and i will not part...the deep sea or mountains...which smell like...teen spirit?~)

I despise official days, holly, ivy and contrivance.

That said... I am a social animal and occasionally submit to convention. I'm happy to do so when convention rules. I want every day to be a holiday, so thought not to fight this particular one.

We have bottles that sparkle, filet and wild shrimp, cool plants, hot soup, fried noodles and cream, wild wings and wild moons... ...and a wicked cold wind is blowing in, too...and respiratory ailments have now taken hold...

So we'll cuddle away from the fray of the day that they say must be treated in only one way.

Lisia 6 years, 8 months ago

At one point, some friends and I renamed V-day to "Curmudgeon's Day". It was much more fun. Hmm. I suppose my husband will want to do something tonight to celebrate.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

Public service announcement

Attention, others of like mind with the now deceased Illinois individual. If you are going to kill yourself, then just goddamned do it. I'm sure that your life's problems, whatever they are, are serious, and that it's probably difficult to cope with them. But no one else has Anything To Do With It. If you think that your existence is meaningless and no one notices you, then this is not going to change it. The only thing that bringing them into it will do is make you an a$$hole, just like all those other a$$holes that came before you. And that's all that we're going to remember, that you were an a$$hole. We're not going to remember your name, we're not going to remember who you were, we're just going to remember that, at that one point in time, there was this a$$hole who thought that his own problems were in some way powerful enough that they had to spread outside of him and infect the community around him. So @#$% you, whoever you are. I might have cared what your name was before hand, but after these kind of actions I don't.

apologies to moderators.

iplaysupernintendo 6 years, 8 months ago

first v-day with my fiance!

after workin' all day downtown, i'm ready to do a lil celebratin' of my own!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

jonas, thanks for putting to print what 99.875% of us are thinking.