Previous   Next

Would you like to live to be 100?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 12, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. To be honest, after age 80 I think you kind of stop living and you’re just trapped in your body. I want to enjoy my old age, but I don’t want to drag things out or be a burden on anyone.”

“No. I would not like to live to see 100. I think even with today’s technology, your quality of life is greatly reduced in your 80s and 90s - unless you’re rich. I’d be happy to check out at 85.”

“If I’m in good health, don’t rely on anyone for my care and was able to enjoy my life, then absolutely.”

“I imagine so. I’ve always been a bit of an optimist, and I would like to think that the state of the world will continue to improve. So I wouldn’t mind being around to see it.”

Comments

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes...then perhaps I could live to see all the U.S. troops leave Iraq.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, that will go a long way towards proving that you aren't racist.

gccs14r 6 years, 11 months ago

Only 100? People do that now. I'll be sorely disappointed if I check out by then.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

As a sophomore, Lil Miss Cara is probably 19 or 20 years old so she really hasn't lived long enough to learn much (as demonstrated by her comment). At 84 my mother is still bright and beautiful. She is active in her community and does crossword and sudoku puzzles everyday. Mom has also been an Alanon counselor for 30+ years. If Cara told my mother that she was "trapped in her body," I'm sure she could still slap Cara's face without missing a beat in whatever she was saying or doing. (Yes, I was raised by a face slapper : All that saved us was the fact that she was soooooo short and most of us were taller than her by about age eleven. We also outnumbered her eight to one, if she had spanked us every time we needed it would have been a 24/7/365 job:)

rdave13 6 years, 11 months ago

Live to be a hundred?? I am going to have to in order to keep working to afford Lawrence property taxes.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm also with Mily. If I'm in good health, sure! I doubt I will be, what with the smoking, drinking and red meat. But, oh well. I don't really plan on hanging around too long if I start drooling on myself and peeing in my drawers.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 11 months ago

Lemme tell ya folks being alive at 100 beats the hell out of the alternative. Pun intended? Maybe.

gonzo 6 years, 11 months ago

C'mon guys. Lighten up on Cara. Maybe we should even feel for her because of the people in her life whose mental and physical well-being shape her own perspective on aging. Perhaps she--and anyone else whose parents, grandparents or other loved ones are no longer "there" like they once were--would absolutely LOVE for them to energetically slap here in the face again (perhaps not).

We should all be so lucky...

canyon_wren 6 years, 11 months ago

Good comments! Yes, it is too bad that Cara apparently doesn't know many lively folks in their 80s. I see "role models" all over the place. We can all hope that we will have relatively good health to the end of our lives, regardless of the length. At 69, I am painfully aware of how quickly time is passing and how much more I have that I want to do. I just hope I don't have to depend upon others any sooner than necessary. Life is pretty darn good!

toefungus 6 years, 11 months ago

Only if the nursing home was full of beautiful babes. Otherwise, just let me die.

zettapixel 6 years, 11 months ago

Not even 150 years ago, the average world life span was 30-40 years old. These days the average is 67. Why do we try so hard to live so much longer than our ancestors? What are we trying to achieve by living 100+ years?

mom_of_three 6 years, 11 months ago

My grandfather in law lived to be 100 and he was in great mind. He was still driving well past his 90's, and his health stayed great until a couple of months before his death, so right up to the end. And his wife lived to her mid 90's, and was involved in life until the very end. She could beat everybody at gin rummy.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

If I still have at least one good friend left...sure. (My one good friend can change my diapers.)

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

i'm totally with mily. she said what i was thinking.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 11 months ago

There's a price on my death. I'm doomed to live... No hopper or grinder in my damned future... No service as soylent green or fertilizer... My destiny is the nightmare of other's dreams...

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

nope...not even 40....I just know how long we'll be there given who the presumptive nominees are in both parties.

daddax98 6 years, 11 months ago

"I just hope I don't have to depend upon others any sooner than necessary."

that is exactly how I feel except I would have ended the sentence at "depend" and added an "s"

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." -- Woody Allen

3 of 4 of my grand-parents lived to be 100 +, and my folks are doing great well into their 80s (they would just laugh at Cara's youthful ignorance). I hope to live as long as I can while maintaining my health. I am planning now for a nice, rewarding, and long retirement.

rt, wow. How sad.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

I can't imagine how bitterly crochety a duel-centurian Marion would be. It fills me with fear.

And makes my ears hurt.

oldvet 6 years, 11 months ago

I have a project plan for living that takes me to 150... so far I'm right on schedule... a little over budget, but I have time to make that up...

Life is like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Dixie Jones 6 years, 11 months ago

im already 100. no wait thats i feel 100 oops have a great evening all

hipstertrap 6 years, 11 months ago

I feel like I should probably come to my (that is, Cara McConnell's) defense.

Gonzo makes an incredibly good point: you should consider what sort of perspective a person comes from before ripping into them for such a ridiculous reason as her age.

The_Original_Bob is right, I don't know that many people around the age of 80. My experience with the elderly is limited mostly to my own family. I only have one surviving grandparent, and happily she is in fantastic health, is incredibly active in her community, and is definitely not "trapped in her body."

However, the majority of my experience with the elderly comes from spending time with my grandmother who has Alzheimer's, and is very much so trapped inside her body (as I explained to the reporter unfortunately "on the street" quotes are not exactly a great forum to explain your position, but rather to just say something catchy to sum up your views). I see her, and I see the other people in her nursing home who are equally trapped and I feel very strongly that that is not something I would want to go through.

I speak from my personal experience, not "youthful ignorance." If I am prejudiced against the elderly (which I don't think is true), those who are dismissive of what I have to say because of my age (Ceallach, I'm speaking directly to you) are just as equally prejudicial.

Perhaps before you make insensitive comments you all should consider that the person you're insulting could be reading.

George_Braziller 6 years, 11 months ago

No. My Great Grandfather was born in 1879, lived to be 97 and was sharp as a tack until the end. What he missed the most was all of his contemporaries who could share memories both personal and historical. His wife, all of his eight brothers and sisters, cousins, inlaws, parents, friends of youths, middle, and old age, as well as many of his nieces and nephews had all died.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

A little starved for attention today, are we Right-Thinker?

H_Lecter 6 years, 11 months ago

I plan to live forever. The word, "plan" is the key. Having access to spare parts is essential.

notajayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

How old am I now?

[sigh]

I saw Bob Hope in person years ago. He told a joke about two old men sitting on a park bench. One turned to the other and asked "How old am I?" The second man said "Stand up." The guy did. "Turn around." He did that too. "Drop your pants." So the man did. "And your drawers." He did. "Now bend over, spread 'em, and let me have a look." So the man did. "You're 92."

The first guy said "How the heck did you know?" The second man said "You told me yesterday."

rodpod 6 years, 11 months ago

I would want to see what the world is like then. But I wouldn't want to be taken care of and not be able to walk around.