Previous   Next

What do you do with your old computer equipment?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“All of mine is sitting in my closet. I have no idea what to do with it. I don’t want to give up on being able to use it again - it was expensive.”

“I’ve only had one computer my entire life that I’m currently using. It’s about six years old, but I’m planning to recycle it once it’s on its last leg.”

“Right now I’m keeping them in my basement. After reading a National Geographic article about how they can end up in huge electronics dumps overseas when you think you’re recycling them, I don’t really know what to do with them.”

“I put it in the closet and forget about it. I really don’t know enough about it to know if it would be of any use to someone.”

Comments

zettapixel 7 years, 4 months ago

Doesn't Lawrence Freenet take old computers, fix 'em up, and give them to kids in need?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

Well, my old computer equipment and I don't really have any common interests, so we don't do anything together.

Actually, I still have my old computer equipment lying around somewhere. One of these days I should get rid of it.

zettapixel 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh man that's freakin' AWESOME TOB! Finally a face to go along with the name!

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

zettapixel: Wait until you meet him in person, so you have a physical voice to go with the diatribes.

I will give Marion this credit, though. His posting persona is really his true persona. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

deskboy04 7 years, 4 months ago

I toss it in the trash. They come by once a week and haul all my trash away.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

I give old stuff to a neighbor who likes to blow things up. (Actually, I think all of my neighbors like to blow things up.)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

Sue, is that why the front of your house was all torn apart when I was there? :-P

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

sgt, still cleaning up from the mess! Actually, 98% done and it looks gorgeous, darling! Feel free to come back and see it for yourself. Just don't look under the new deck! (I have old computer equipment shoved under there.) :)

dajudge 7 years, 4 months ago

That does not compute..that does not compute......

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

Sue, maybe either Andrew or I will come up with another excuse to travel to Kansas again.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Does no one use their computer parts to construct giant robots and death rays anymore?! I feel so old fashioned.

Once I get that PS3 motherboard, its all over people. Me and Ron Paul are going to take over.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

And yes, I'm taking credit for Ron Paul. Or, as I still fondly refer to him, Archimedes Xaxon v 3.2. That's Mr. AXv3.2 to you.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

jonas, was Ross Perot one of your early models?

preebo 7 years, 4 months ago

I donate my older computing equipment (ie laptops, printers, monitors, CPUs) to schools and/or NPR charity programs.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 4 months ago

well I would love to still have my old comp. but it decided to fry itself when I moved it to another room and yes I do mean fry.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

"Anyone know where I can cyber beg for software or another computer?" -ChristmasCarol

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lawrencefreecycle/

sgt, that'd be awesome!

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 4 months ago

We are giving all our old computer equipment to the Topeka Rescue Mission. Thank you, Lynn

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

I take it out to the parking lot and give it the beat down with the axe handle I carry around in the backseat of my car. It's very cathartic. I had this fax machine that was always grabbing one side of the paper and crumbling the whole thing up in the feeder and I truly enjoyed beating that thing to s**t. We're not allowed to donate anything out of this office. I'm not sure if it's the law regarding union labor orgs or if it's because my boss is not too generous or what, but whenever we have anything that needs to go, computer equipment, training center tools, etc. they have to be physically destroyed and put in the dumpster and then he wants pictures of the destroyed equipment so the organization is protected. The more I think about it, the crazier it sounds. He might just be losing his mind.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Dean was a competitor's model. One of mine would never short out like that on the national stage. Stayin' mum on Perot, though.

oldvet 7 years, 4 months ago

First I try to unload components and parts on ebay... you'd be surprised what will sell... then the hard drive goes to the range with me to meet a couple of .308 bullets... the rest and the unsold goes into the trash...

matahari 7 years, 4 months ago

donated mine to someones' kid.....

too bad the guy at ind inc that supposed to renovate them (or disperce them) for the disabled doesn't ....'too busy' to grab a monitor or speakers, keyboard, mouse etc to those in need.....maybe they need to pay him more LOL

have seem some cool notebooks n stuff made trom the green boards at The Dolphin Song in Gardner, cool , but not cheap

I did make a giant X-mas display one year by tuning screens from puters and TV's to different designs

I have seen quite a few at Goodwill, and they seem to sell fast at less than $5 each.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

R_I, haven't completed the 12 steps of "Paranoids Anonymous" yet, have you? :oP

Lisia 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm using my old computer parts to construct an elaborate cyberpunk style costume.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 4 months ago

im looking to take a computer tower off someones hands, for my autistic son have everything but the tower, also looking for a cheap laptop for him anyone know of any??????