Previous   Next

Which GOP candidate would you like to win in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“Ron Paul, ‘Out of Iraq right now.’ I like the idea of getting rid of the Federal Reserve and agree with him that we should not be policing the world.”

“I would choose McCain, because of his moderate conservatism.”

“I guess I would have to say Huckabee. I don’t really care for any of them, but Huckabee seems slightly more sincere than McCain.”

“I’m going to say McCain, because I like his military background. He’s a war hero. And because we’re at war right now, I think we need someone with his experience.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

just glad to help, and that nobody got hurt, apparently the speed was pretty high. thank God nobody got hurt!

sweep: Huckabee sweeps LA, KS, WA today. gets all kansas delagates. complex outa LA as last I knew he didn't have a majority, was 45-47%. WA was close but last I knew Huckabee pulled that one out. YAAAAAAAAY!

labmonkey 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm a McCainiac, McCainiac, that's for sure. And I'm voting like I've never voted before. (Not sure what that means, but it fits with the tune).

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Wait, you all get to win GOP candidates in Kansas? That sounds like a fun prize! Is it a lottery, or a raffle, or a contest, or what?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 6 months ago

The republic is broken and we can't fix it without being reasonable and compromising while sticking to the main priciples of the constitution. In other words...We are DOOMED!

Our election process may be the only thing we're capable of fixing, but noooooooo...

We elect moneyed monkey mouths...shining shills for shell games...lying packages of purloined pontification tied up with shining, idealistic bows, scented with prosperity yet pinned to boards of bondage, boondoggle and the bastardization of truth, justice and ANY way to ANY future.

I just wish they'd tell us when the damned asteroid will hit so we can join them in only pretending to care!~)

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 6 months ago

And how of these people are actually bothering to go this morning?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 6 months ago

Marion and rt, when you return from the caucus, let us know how it went.

average 7 years, 6 months ago

Made_in_China:

You got that one right. Even though I vaguely preferred the Clinton policies, I was not pleased at all with the Bill's distortions of Dole in '96. Dole was the better man.

Obviously, one sees a bit of that in John McCain. But, he's not near the sharp tack Dole is. (McCain's got a long history of saying real dumb things near open microphones). But, saying "of course America wouldn't vote for the Clintons again" gives America too much credit.

Of course, I actually like Obama as a thinker and a legislator, so that's where I'm focused now. Between HRC and McCain... dunno. The Supreme Court is important, but I'm in a state that isn't going to go to her, anyway.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 6 months ago

Alf Landon is a good choice. He was a good friend of my Grandfather and subsequently, my Father. Imagine a fiscal conservative who still thought social issues should be addressed.

1029 7 years, 6 months ago

I hope Ron Paul wins. I don't know anything about politics, but a lot of my friends say that Ron Paul is pretty cool. He wants to end the war on drugs, which is very important to me since I'm a hippie.

labmonkey 7 years, 6 months ago

I went to the JOCO one on Midland drive....there were many people there. I was disappointed that neither my wife or I were in the system even though we had voter registration cards that said we were Republican. We had to fill out provisional ballots which made me angry since those rarely get counted. Huckabee's speaker sucked as he was not very smooth. McCain had two speakers who basically asked us to vote for him because he is the only one who can win in the general election. Ron Paul's speaker actually was the most polished but I was a little turned off because he did a little chest thumping of himself. Unforunately Kansas is going to look like a backward-ass southern state and will go to Huckabee. My state shames me at this moment.

Liberty 7 years, 6 months ago

I like the answers that Ron Paul has for our political, national and international problems. Ron Paul is the only candidate that has a real fix and well thought out answers that will work. He does not endorse the United Nations for world government like our current congress does by passing treaties that we would never approve of. Huckabee would be a second choice, and the democrats just want to be elected for "change". The democrats just don't bother to tell you what "change" would be, and how they want to change. People assume it will be for the better when they vote for them, but it almost never is for the better but rather more toward the UN and it's policies of world government and control (just like most of the republicans, like John McCain). But the democrats (to their credit) do seem to support workers and fairness in the workplace much better than the republicans.

been_there 7 years, 6 months ago

Only a little more than 850 Lawrence Republican residents voted today, and their caucus was on a Saturday. There wasn't near the coverage while the caucus was in progress as there was for the Democrats Tuesday night. Not to mention the Republicans were able to post their views during the coverage Tuesday night. Democrats were not given that opportunity today. Is the LJW run by Republicans?

" Marion and rt, when you return from the caucus, let us know how it went. "

I thought I remembered some time back reading in a blog that Marion did not live in Lawrence. Guess I got it wrong.

snowWI 7 years, 6 months ago

"Unforunately Kansas is going to look like a backward-ass southern state and will go to Huckabee. My state shames me at this moment."

Unfortunately, Kansas is pretty far south. We do have three Great Plains states (NE, SD, ND) to our north ya know.

friskies25 7 years, 6 months ago

To been_there: That would be a "yes" to LJW being run by Republicans. But, from what I recall when I used to read the LJW (when I lived in Lawrence)...more moderate Republicans own LJW. It's still nothing like FOX (faux?) News! As for the lower turn-out for the Republican caucus- that's because more people vote for Democratic candidates in Lawrence. It's the blue island in a sea of red! I will say...now that I have moved to a Southern state....known as Florida.....and living in a city where hope goes to die....I sure miss the intelligent dialogue that flowed effortlessly in Lawrence, KS! Years ago...John McCain was the better candidate for the Republican party....unfortunately, the frat boy with the silver spoon got the nomination and it's been hell on earth ever since. McCain today, is not the same McCain of yesterday. I liken him to a pod-person. Or...a stepford senator. And, if Al Gore had been...ahem....I will refrain from mentioning the still ongoing scandal....I doubt we would be in such an economic predicament or be in Iraq for that matter. And...in the Democratic party...Is Hillary really reliable? Such animosity has built up between Clinton and Obama.....if Clinton gets the eventual nomination...Obama supporters may not vote for her. I voted for Obama (for what it's worth...LOL! NOTHING! - primaries don't count here this year....which for Obama's sake...that is good news). As for Huckabee, he is a likeable guy. He cares about social issues. But one thing we need to hear from ALL candidates is more information on what their plans are. And it will take more than 4 years to clean up the mess created by the Bush administration.

labmonkey 7 years, 6 months ago

This pains me, kills me, but for once Missouri did something right while appearantly only right wing wackos showed up in Kansas. I knew McCain was in trouble when the Huckabee campaign announced that he was endorsed by James Dobson and Kansans for Life. Now I am as anti-abortion as anyone, but I hate Kansans for Life after the hatchet job they did on Bob Knight in 2002.

Drew_Carey 7 years, 6 months ago

Something bad has happens I fear. Several officers heading down Iowa (south). One turned down 27th (E) then some went down Iowa (S), then a couple of minutes later, one came back out of 27th and also headed down Iowa. They were MOVING. They're looking for somebody.

workinghard 7 years, 6 months ago

They came down Tennesse Street too. Come to think of it I heard a car speeding down Tennessee at a high rate of speed around that time.

workinghard 7 years, 6 months ago

Haven't we had enough bad stuff lately?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

voted for huckabee, wasn't my first, second, or third choice, but was glad to support conservative against mcCain with his belief in global warming manmade myth and wanting to make illegal immigration easy. he turned the corner in FL when the geezers and hispanics supported him. hispanics=supporters of illegal immigration?
I was glad to be part of sticking a conservative finger in the moderate party establishment! here in lawrence the ron paul spokesman was very good (I've met him before); the mcCain spokesman was very polished and we spoke after the event; and Huckabee was represented by three: a man; a student fem; a homemaker fem from miami co. they did a good job for Huckabee but were sometimes hard to here.

the process went very well as I saw it, and I met several friends and fellow church members. also, my pastor. the dgco republicans seemed to have things pretty well in hand except they should have had a couple more computers for checkin purposes because the line was long. I think the 875 estimate is low for attendance this event.

DC and WH, put away the paranoia, Lawrence's finest were involved in a hot pursuit that finally ended at that skuzzy trailer court: gaslight. before, car hit sign, drove on sidewalk, high speed, great danger. apparently owner of car lived in skuzzy trailercourt. so, please put away the paranoia!

Drew_Carey 7 years, 6 months ago

Gnome...thanks for the info. I wasn't paranoid..they were chasing a dangerous person weren't they? I'm just glad no one was shot. I figured some place was robbed,or the downtown group from "other places" got carried away, etc.

workinghard 7 years, 6 months ago

Don't really understand why remarking I heard sirens going down the street is considered being paranoid. Maybe you're paranoid about people being paranoid.