Previous   Next

Did you enjoy doing science projects when you were younger?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 8, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I did, depending on what it was. I was into physics, so as long as it was something along those lines.”

“No, I found it hard to do them. I was always much better at spelling, math and reading than science.”

“Most definitely. I enjoyed the creativity and liked to tinker a lot.”

“Yes. I love science. It’s probably why I’m an aerospace engineering major.”

Comments

oldvet 6 years, 10 months ago

Remember the result from mixing sulpher and hydrochloric acid? We had to evacuate a floor in my HS when we did that in the chem lab one day... whew, that was rotten!

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

Are you referring to the ones that we did in controlled environments at school, or the free-form ones that I did at home by mixing whatever chemicals I happened to stumble across? Both had their perks, I suppose.

ms_canada 6 years, 10 months ago

Sulpher and hydrocholic acid? was that what I mixed together when I played with the chemistry set that I received for Christmas when I was ten. Boy did I get my derriere pounded by my mom. You see, she had a houseful of guests and I had committed a big boo-boo. How was I to know? I pled total ignorance. :o) but it did no good.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 10 months ago

I remember making a volcano with my younger brother Bobby. We set it up in the back yard because the folks didn't want us making a mess in the house. I touched two wires together and the volcano started smoking, followed by a little oozing lava (it was actually mud). In a matter of seconds mud started flying everywhere. My sister Marsha was sitting nearby with some members of the school's Booster Club and they all started screaming and got covered in mud. Marsha laughed about it because she felt that the girls in the Booster Club were too snooty anyway.

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

Yes, I did! One particular project spanned the entire year. Several other students and I did our level best to be sure Mr. Watson would never forget us or our class. Unfortunately, my younger sister had a hard row to hoe when she was in his class. He looked at the roster. . . . Ceallach? Do you have an older sister? (She was the serious one :)

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

No. We only had the science experiments in the controlled environments at school and I didn't like those. Couldn't quite put my mind around science, did well enough to get B's, but that was about it.
My kids on the other hand, like science. Must get it from their father.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 10 months ago

I did one when I was three. I tested several hypotheses for myself...all known stuff but it's a science PROJECT, right? Results: -Yes you could light a safety match without striking it...by sticking it in a gas burner flame. -A three year old will realize that a held, lit match eventually burns fingers. -Once realized, logic regarding match disposal may suffer due to the onset of pain. (I dropped the lit match in the trash.) -When there is trouble, it's not always best to leave and imagine you had nothing to do with it. (It would have been better to scream but I left the house and sat on the back steps, pondering my next move.) -Parents freak out when they discover a fire in their home. -Kids do some really stupid stuff. -Looking innocent is priceless.

preebo 6 years, 10 months ago

Especially... Dioramas. I remember doing one of Prehistoric times, complete with Dinosaurs and volcanoes, in the third grade.

...other then that Anatomy and Physiology was cool, because we were able to disect squids, frogs, and even a baby pig. It lead me to study Conservation Biology in college, but then I went to Law School. Now I don't get to work in the sciences anymore, but it was fun.

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

YES! I had this little science book with different sections for different types of science. It came with a mirror for the optical illusion stuff, a magnet, and agar (?) gel. I also put oranges in a jar to see them mold and I think it was the coolest thing ever. My mom didn't think it was very cool when she spilled it!

chemegirlie 6 years, 10 months ago

Loved them! I even took an independent chemistry study, for no credit, in high school.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

hawklet-your mother has to be some kind of saint.

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

pwywacket: Dissolve a bug!? Man, why didn't I ever think of that?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

My mom bought me a book filled with nothing but science experiments that you could do at home. I tried most of them. I always loved science and at least one of my kids got that gene.

Apparently, kids still do unauthorized experiments in school as on Tuesday of this week, my kids' school had to have a fire drill because someone made "tons of smoke" in the science lab. (That was when it was almost freezing outside and was pouring rain!) Oops!

beatrice 6 years, 10 months ago

I enjoyed them, but the neighbor's dog sure didn't.

R.I.P. Fluffy.