Previous   Next

Did you enjoy doing science projects when you were younger?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 8, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I did, depending on what it was. I was into physics, so as long as it was something along those lines.”

“No, I found it hard to do them. I was always much better at spelling, math and reading than science.”

“Most definitely. I enjoyed the creativity and liked to tinker a lot.”

“Yes. I love science. It’s probably why I’m an aerospace engineering major.”

Comments

Pywacket 6 years, 2 months ago

Jonas~ You simply might not have been as much of a delinquent as we were. We also would roast grasshoppers over a tin can fire and try to bribe gullible kids to eat them. And you should have seen all the horrifying melt monsters we created from plastic army men.

One time, we found a dead mouse and hung it over the sidewalk from a tree limb, using a realistically tied noose. Then we hid and watched the reactions of passersby. I suppose that would be more of a social than a scientific experiment--but it was all good!

Trinity~ Yes--but she won't believe that until it's toooooo laaaaaaaate. (Or, at least, that's the angle you can use to cultivate that good ol' guilt-induced appreciation. ;-)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 2 months ago

Apparently, some teachers take issue with the results of nitration of Esbit tablets...

Go figure.

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

I enjoyed them, but the neighbor's dog sure didn't.

R.I.P. Fluffy.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 2 months ago

My mom bought me a book filled with nothing but science experiments that you could do at home. I tried most of them. I always loved science and at least one of my kids got that gene.

Apparently, kids still do unauthorized experiments in school as on Tuesday of this week, my kids' school had to have a fire drill because someone made "tons of smoke" in the science lab. (That was when it was almost freezing outside and was pouring rain!) Oops!

jonas 6 years, 2 months ago

pwywacket: Dissolve a bug!? Man, why didn't I ever think of that?

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

hawklet-your mother has to be some kind of saint.

Pywacket 6 years, 2 months ago

JJE007~ You and my little brother would've made great "lab partners." At about the same age (3 or thereabouts), he proceeded to learn the effects of strategic placement of a screwdriver tip into an electrical outlet. This was long before plastic outlet covers had been invented, of course.

Upon discovering that the resulting force would propel him backward onto his little keister, with the accompaniment of significant personal discomfort, he never, to my knowledge, followed up with a replicating study, but instead moved on to other areas of interest. It is significant to note that he did not grow up to be an electrician, although, I believe, electricity is used prudently in his residence. He also never produced any offspring, for what that's worth.

chemegirlie 6 years, 2 months ago

Loved them! I even took an independent chemistry study, for no credit, in high school.

hawklet21 6 years, 2 months ago

YES! I had this little science book with different sections for different types of science. It came with a mirror for the optical illusion stuff, a magnet, and agar (?) gel. I also put oranges in a jar to see them mold and I think it was the coolest thing ever. My mom didn't think it was very cool when she spilled it!

preebo 6 years, 2 months ago

Especially... Dioramas. I remember doing one of Prehistoric times, complete with Dinosaurs and volcanoes, in the third grade.

...other then that Anatomy and Physiology was cool, because we were able to disect squids, frogs, and even a baby pig. It lead me to study Conservation Biology in college, but then I went to Law School. Now I don't get to work in the sciences anymore, but it was fun.

prospector 6 years, 2 months ago

Science was the reason to go to school. You can have the other stuff. Like R_I, I still enjoy any and all violent oxidations.

MS_C, You know now that you are lucky to be here as am I. "Curiosity killed the cat" was learned early. No, I did not kill a cat. At least it was not sulpher , charcoal and salt peter with a match. You could have a digit deficit now.

Hey, could our girlfriend Nick's afflictions be a science project gone bad?

JJE007 6 years, 2 months ago

I did one when I was three. I tested several hypotheses for myself...all known stuff but it's a science PROJECT, right? Results: -Yes you could light a safety match without striking it...by sticking it in a gas burner flame. -A three year old will realize that a held, lit match eventually burns fingers. -Once realized, logic regarding match disposal may suffer due to the onset of pain. (I dropped the lit match in the trash.) -When there is trouble, it's not always best to leave and imagine you had nothing to do with it. (It would have been better to scream but I left the house and sat on the back steps, pondering my next move.) -Parents freak out when they discover a fire in their home. -Kids do some really stupid stuff. -Looking innocent is priceless.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

No. We only had the science experiments in the controlled environments at school and I didn't like those. Couldn't quite put my mind around science, did well enough to get B's, but that was about it.
My kids on the other hand, like science. Must get it from their father.

Ceallach 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I did! One particular project spanned the entire year. Several other students and I did our level best to be sure Mr. Watson would never forget us or our class. Unfortunately, my younger sister had a hard row to hoe when she was in his class. He looked at the roster. . . . Ceallach? Do you have an older sister? (She was the serious one :)

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 2 months ago

I remember making a volcano with my younger brother Bobby. We set it up in the back yard because the folks didn't want us making a mess in the house. I touched two wires together and the volcano started smoking, followed by a little oozing lava (it was actually mud). In a matter of seconds mud started flying everywhere. My sister Marsha was sitting nearby with some members of the school's Booster Club and they all started screaming and got covered in mud. Marsha laughed about it because she felt that the girls in the Booster Club were too snooty anyway.

ms_canada 6 years, 2 months ago

Sulpher and hydrocholic acid? was that what I mixed together when I played with the chemistry set that I received for Christmas when I was ten. Boy did I get my derriere pounded by my mom. You see, she had a houseful of guests and I had committed a big boo-boo. How was I to know? I pled total ignorance. :o) but it did no good.

Pywacket 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh, yeah! Especially the unsupervised ones in my friends' kitchens or bathrooms. It's a wonder we didn't die from fumes as we mixed everything we could get our hands on. Then we'd put a dead bug or something in there to see if it would dissolve in a few days.

Or those delightful experiments behind the garages, involving burn barrels and seeing what colors of fire could be coaxed from different burning substances. Wouldn't have gotten away with that at my house--too much parental supervision. (In retrospect--a good thing!)

My poor kids didn't get away with much of anything. All their experiments were the Science Fair type...

oldvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Remember the result from mixing sulpher and hydrochloric acid? We had to evacuate a floor in my HS when we did that in the chem lab one day... whew, that was rotten!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 2 months ago

Younger? The sudden expansion of a material usually accompanied by the production of heat and large changes in pressure is fun at any age.

jonas 6 years, 2 months ago

Are you referring to the ones that we did in controlled environments at school, or the free-form ones that I did at home by mixing whatever chemicals I happened to stumble across? Both had their perks, I suppose.

hitme 6 years, 2 months ago

I'll take the fifth...speaking of fifths,,,why, yes I did