Previous   Next

What is your favorite type of coffee drink?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 6, 2008

Browse the archives

“I like double short Americanos. It’s strong and has a good roasted flavor without being too harsh.”

“I like a dark Colombian roast. I’ve always been partial to stronger tasting coffees.”

“White chocolate mocha with caramel, extra whipped cream and an extra shot of espresso. I’ve been drinking it for about seven years. It just tastes good.”

“I just like black coffee from Henry’s.”

Comments

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

Woo Hoo!! Classes are cancelled, only emergency personnel (not me:) need to report to work. I love snow days!!

Latte, no frills beyond steamed milk. Hmmm, no work, already up, think I will make one now.

craigers 7 years, 5 months ago

Oddly enough one of my favorites is the Vanilla Iced Coffee at Mcds. It is suprisingly good. Favorite fake coffee - Mighty Mocha with some Carmel Steamer at QT. Real fru fru coffee - Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

None. I'm not a fan of the taste, but I do like the smell. My wife says I make good coffee, though.

Bassetlover 7 years, 5 months ago

I second the iced coffee at McDonalds, but regular flavor for me. Big serving, reasonably priced, and very creamy. Love it!

hawklet21 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm a sucker for a fair-trade organic Sumatran, and Love Buzz from the Merc.

sinkorswim 7 years, 5 months ago

No coffee for me. I don't like the smell or taste! However, I LOVE chai tea latte from Starbucks. I think I"ll see if I can dig my way out and go get one now!

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 5 months ago

Medium Kona brewed at home, purchased from Walmart. Surely lots of folks were exploited in the process for it to be sold at those low low everyday prices.

trinity 7 years, 5 months ago

lol, i can see what hawklet is doing with HER snow day!!! ;)

coffee-as R_I so well stated. or with a dash or four of bailley's! :)

busymom 7 years, 5 months ago

Most of the time good ole folders with Coffeemate liquid creamer. Fave coffee shop is the bistro by hyvee on Kasold. Yummy lattes and yummy food and a great place to study when the guitar guy isn't there.

lawrencegrl 7 years, 5 months ago

Mocha or cuppa just good black coffee-only from Henry's!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Extra strong with cream. I think I would like snap's coffee. This ? is funny timing as I just made a cup of coffee for my 11 year old...yes, we like to start our bad habits early! Her German pancakes will be out of the oven soon. Snow days are yummy! Forgot to mention decaf!

RI- snow day! woo hoo! Going to fire up the canoe today?

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

The only coffee I can really tolerate is the stuff I buy fresh in the Dominican Republic. Frankly, I don't go there very often, either.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 5 months ago

An American Sweetheart from Aimees. It's a mocha with hazlenut an cinnamon. But I also love the mix that my husband created. We take French Roast beans and mix them with a couple of others. We have one of those cool coffee pots that grinds it and brews it, and you can set it to go off at a certain time. I have a hard time working a coffee pot at 5:30 in the morning.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Ceallach: Your words were like a blessed light in my heart early this morning. I hadn't even looked outside yet. I had a lot of stuff due today, too. kyahaha!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 5 months ago

ps, rt Try reading the whole paper before judging the questions. They are always related to another article in the paper. There's a KU grad doing great things with coffee in Costa Rica. Try reading it. It's real capitalism at work, not the money grubbing corporate capitalism you espouse.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

Brian has been drinking the same drink for seven years? That must be one huge cup of coffee!

I'll add my vote for the peppermint mochas from Starbucks.

lakotachick 7 years, 5 months ago

I like my coffee like I like my men, strong, sweet, and caramel color...lol I drink a triple latte with lots of caramel!!!!

busymom 7 years, 5 months ago

Py-I know what you mean about the search engine and disappearing headlines. Another thing that is frustrating is sooo many stories about the same thing so us posters end up repeating ourselves. Some stories this is called updating, but some of these stories are not needed.

ahenry 7 years, 5 months ago

Recently discovered at La Prima Tazza (LPT)...Cuban shots. Standard espresso grounds with a dose of turbinado sugar sandwiched in between the pull. Add cream to the top and you have the most delectable cup of AWESOME in town. Cocaine in a cup, I say. Nummy.

For all of you Starbucks fans, please give your local coffee shops a try. Z's, Henry's, LPT, Mirth, Java Break, Scone Lady, Aimee's, Miltons, The Pig...just to name a few. These are wonderful places run by people who really know coffee & espresso. Starbucks is sterile and preprogrammed.

onthekaw 7 years, 5 months ago

Shot in the dark, depth charge, whatever they call it at your coffee shop of choice: a cup of coffee with a shot of espresso. It's like the opposite of a boilermaker!

chemegirlie 7 years, 5 months ago

Sex Bomb from Java Break is the best, but a vanilla latte with skim mild from McD's is good also (and much quicker).

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

A quadruple expresso with a taser shot and splash of cold Grey Goose in my gape and at the gasp signaling the height of my paroxysm.

volunteer 7 years, 5 months ago

At home strong black coffee is fine. When a madcap, might add some Baileys or Kahlua. While out and about, I enjoy McDonalds coffee. Much better than the food!

torcia 7 years, 5 months ago

Can someone explain to me why there seems to be more baristas in Lawerence than anywhere on earth? I had never heard the word until I moved to Lawrence. Where I come from if someone works at starbucks we just say they work at starbucks.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

Interesting, with all the selections how many people just like - - - coffee. Volunteer makes a good point about McDonald's - not bad at all. And since turning 55 a few months ago, only fifty cents for the senior cup.

booklover 7 years, 5 months ago

Venti triple mocha, non-fat, extra hot, 8 pumps mocha, 2 pumps cinnamon, no whip!

mmmmmm! My absolute Favo.

or at home... Sumatra ground at the espresso setting, with vietnamese cinnamon, a splash of vanilla and fat free half and half. sometimes with a couple shots of good brandy. Extra mmmm.

hawklet21 7 years, 5 months ago

vinland proper- Way to encourage the local shops!! With starbucks, you know exactly what you are going to get. Boring. And I like to hang out for awhile when I have a cup of coffee, it doesn't always have to be on the go.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, either espresso in Naples, Italy or Austrian coffee on the Ringstrasse in Vienna. All things being equal, it's all in the water folks.

busymom 7 years, 5 months ago

Yep, Dorothy is right, OTS is always about another story, just like I posted on the related story this morning.

Fishman 7 years, 5 months ago

Love it, but quit over nine months ago. My blood pressure almost immediately went down over 10 points for both numbers. Just can't get into decaf so I'm done for coffee unfortunately. I still love the smell of a good coffee though. At first it really bothered me to smell it and not be able to drink it, but I finally got through it.

davidnta 7 years, 5 months ago

White chocolate mocha or Milton's David's blend coffee with milk and Splenda.

twelvepackterry 7 years, 5 months ago

I demand shade-grown coffee or no coffee at all.

sinkorswim 7 years, 5 months ago

I've tried a chai tea latte at a couple of local places and none are as good (imho) as Starbucks. Another thing I like about Starbucks is their willingness to whip up any concoction I'd like to try. I also like the locations. I like to have a tea while grocery shopping at Dillon's and/or Target. The downtown location is good too! :-)

space_rabbit_kerosene 7 years, 5 months ago

14 grams of espresso beans from PTs freshly ground to the right consistency. Brewed in a semi-automatice espresso machine of high enough quality to produce a layer of crema equal to one third the volume of about 1.5 oz liquid espresso. Two ounces of whole milk (or cream when feeling extravagant) to which a pinch or trubinado has been added before steaming to a silky consistency, with only a minor increase in volume... poured with care so as to form a pretty design... twice daily prepared at home.

Out and about: plain sumatran brew coffee from henry's with cream and sugar.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

Py, didn't they used to link to the related story? I seem to remember that being the case when I started posting here. I think the links went away when the site was redesigned.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

sgt, I don't think they ever linked to the story...not that I can remember, anyway. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. (Although I'm sure you are older than I am in posting years :):):))

I want space rabbit to make my coffee! Twice daily and make mine extravagant, please. If you're going to have calories, they might as well be really good ones!

Kat Christian 7 years, 5 months ago

The "Lawrence Slammer" at Jave Dive. I don't do Starbucks.

hawklet21 7 years, 5 months ago

Sunshine_noise, I completely forgot about the Lawrence Slammer! I love that drink! I guess I'll have to meander down there this weekend.