Previous   Next

What was your favorite Super Bowl commercial?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 5, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’d have to say the one with the baby puking. The baby was so cute and then he spit up at the end. It was hilarious.”

“I would say the Doritos commercial where the guy gets pummeled by the guy in the mouse suit. But overall, they weren’t very impressive this year.”

“The commercial with all the little animals screaming because the squirrel almost got hit by a car.”

“I’d have to say the E-Trade one where the baby throws up.”

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 3 months ago

cashew girl was ok and even if it was not that good I always like the bud. horses, but yeah not really a great year on comercials this year.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Do we still live under this mythos that Super Bowl commercials are somehow special or particularly better than the fare during the rest of the year? They really seem to be about the same. Some are pretty funny, some can (I guess. . . . reluctantly. . . .) be said to be meaningful, like the Christopher Reeves walks again from some years back, but they don't really have much of a discernible edge to them in terms of talented production or truly clever idea.

It's almost as if they're. . . just commercials.

None of them beat the singing skittles rabbit, at any rate. Unless that was a Super Bowl commercial. If it was, don't anyone bring it to my attention. I have no interest in changing my world-view today.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

R_I - I don't know who she is, but I do remember seeing this yesterday.

The 11:47 post mentions that Annie Tedesco was in the commercial you were asking about.

To answer the question, most of the commercials weren't all that great. I did like the Diet Pepsi Max, the Budweiser Clydesdale/dalmation, and the Bridgestone one with Richard Simmons. I mean, seriously, who hasn't envisioned running down Richard with a car at some time or other!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I fell asleep and didn't get to see them all. Can't say as the ones I saw were all that memorable.

SpeedRacer 7 years, 3 months ago

I particularly liked the Pepsi ad where Justin Timberlake gets pummelled.

Becca 7 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, the monster.com Monday commercial was pretty good. But as for the actual ones that aired during the Super Bowl, my favorite was the Garmin commercial about Napoleon. Little man, little horse...

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

On the other hand, did anyone see the Puppy Bowl, on Animal Planet? That was really pretty entertaining. A pretty good concept really. You can tune in at any point you like, and there will be puppies being their goofy selves. Couldn't have cost much to produce, either.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

My favorite is the commercial that didn't air during the Super Bowl; it started a few weeks before the Super Bowl.

Alison Roberts 7 years, 3 months ago

The doritos commerical with the rat is old. I saw it months ago.

My fav was the Will Ferrell, Bud light commercial... "Bud Light, Suck one!"

toefungus 7 years, 3 months ago

They were all uninformative. What were they selling?

Hilary Morton 7 years, 3 months ago

Jonas,

All I watch is the Puppy Bowl. I missed the Kitten Half-Time show, though. Pretty upset about it.

Ceallach 7 years, 3 months ago

The Puppy Bowl was definitely the best action. Hilary, what breed was the curly haired brown pup with the green eyes? Whatever it was, he was super cute, and not afraid to take on the big dogs:)

For those who watched the Super Bowl, were any of the commercials as good as the frogs of several years ago? I loved them!

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

We watched a good bit of the Puppy Bowl as well. Pretty entertaining stuff. Of course, we have 4 at home, so it was almost like watching what we see in the backyard every day.

Ceal, here is a list of the "starting line-up" from the Puppy Bowl.

It sounds like you may be describing Cody the Cockapoo.

yankeelady 7 years, 3 months ago

The badgers in the car was good, and the Garmin one with the little car. That one had a twist.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 3 months ago

I liked the lizards dancing to Thriller. Then I got kind of sad. Michael Jackson was so talented, it's to bad he isn't mentally stable.

yankeelady 7 years, 3 months ago

I enjoyed the puppy bowl also, and my cat loved it. But like yours she liked the puppies more than the kittens, more action I guess and the occasional yip. I bounced back and forth, during the game , not the commercials.

riverdrifter 7 years, 3 months ago

More ads than a NASCAR race and the NFL's money-grubbing is just as bad. There was a football game in there somewhere. I had a couple of these DVDs loaded up and when the ads came on I went flyrodding in a warm place for a few minutes at a time. http://howardfilms.com/

killjoy 7 years, 3 months ago

The Tom Petty Band would be alright if they could just get a decent singer.