Previous   Next

How are you going to celebrate New Year’s?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 30, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’m going to spend it at my house with my husband.”

“(I will be) singing in a band in Rossville, Kansas, at Mikey’s Bar.”

“We are going to go to my friend’s house … and watch the ball drop.”

“I’m going to celebrate New Year’s with my friends in Waldo, Kansas, (with) KU alumni and just party and have a good time.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

At home with family.Ham sounds good, but we'll probably have a pork roast.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

Make a pot of chili & watch Army of Darkness.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 12 months ago

At home with whatever is in the fridge after we talk to a guy about a new furnace. Bring on 2009!

schula 5 years, 12 months ago

Having some friends over and lots of snacks, will probably watch some of the football game and play cards.

reanne 5 years, 12 months ago

Hang out with my husband at home, play games and eat lots of food. ....nothing crazy.

canyon_wren 5 years, 12 months ago

Fixing the traditional treats--about 10 different things--and playing poker with my daughter and son-in-law and several of their friends (at my house, where there's more room) till about 2 a.m. We stop at midnight to shoot off some fireworks and blow horns, etc., then get back to serious poker. New Year's Day is pretty peaceful--just spent cleaning up the mess (serpentine, balloons, etc.) from the night before. No big dinner or anything. I LOVE January and having the holidays behind me--starting out on new projects.

leadstone 5 years, 12 months ago

With plenty of popping corks and rifle blasts.( My Boomstick.) I hope it isn't too cold. I love ringing in the New Year....but not so much the ringing in my blue ears.

SMe 5 years, 12 months ago

Oh man! Ham and Black-eyed Peas and cornbread........

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

Sock, sock, shoe, shoe or sock, shoe, sock, shoe?

conservativepunker 5 years, 12 months ago

At home with wifey. Don't go out on Amateur Night.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 12 months ago

I think Randy Penry is a folk singer who dabbles in gospel in his free time but has a deep love for Big Band music and Prince. Okay so we're doing the whole young parents with kids thing. We'll take the girls to Nick's cousins house while the grown-ups play poker and the dollar game and the kids run around hopped up on soda and junk food. I'll ring in the year with a glass of the finest Sparkling grape juice Walmart has to offer and for one second think, man, this is so much more fun then what reanne is doing. (just kidding)

reanne 5 years, 12 months ago

Whatever Dejacrew.While you are sipping your sparkling grape juice with thousands of kids you don't know running around and people that you don't know talking to you and taking up the couch....... I will be curled up with my husband in our quiet house sipping Asti and playing uno. ahhah!! JEALOUS!?!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 12 months ago

probably sleeping I will try to hang on but I get up to early so..

KansasPerson 5 years, 12 months ago

Donnuts (Anonymous) says…"Sit at home and watch the colors on my sprinkles."Ohmygosh... you really ARE a donut! Or multiple donuts.rearranging my mental image of you

KansasPerson 5 years, 12 months ago

NY Eve: Going with family over to a friend's house, large friendly all-ages gathering, games, homemade brew, snacks, not staying out too late.Driving home, carefully alert to other drivers.NY Day: Mass; then some sort of ham-and-bean concoction (I lost my favorite recipe so I'll have to hunt online), putting up new calendars and writing all the birthdays and anniversaries on one of them, and preparing for my annual meeting with myself to see how I'm doing on my goals and my five-year plan.An Irish lady once told me that "what you do on New Year's sets a precedent for the year," so I will bear that in mind too.... but I won't tell you what that entails. :)

jengaman 5 years, 12 months ago

Hopefully passed out in a Phoenix bar after a KU victory.

nbnozzy 5 years, 12 months ago

Those black eyed peas are much more flavorful if you use ground sausage instead of ham. The best way to indulge in this delicious treat is to put fried potatoes on top of your cornbread. Then heaping ladles of the black eyed peas (with sausage) on top of the potatoes and garnish with fresh onion. Eat 2 big helpings with milk to drink and b*tch the rest of the day about how full you are while watching college football on tv. It's like an early Christmas at the first day of the year. And remember, eating black eyed peas on New Year's brings good luck.

querulousperson 5 years, 12 months ago

I'm glad other people call it "amateur night," too.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 12 months ago

Uno at reanne's house? Well I might just have to go there instead. And you forget, I actually know most of them because of mothers group. Why don't you and your husband get busy having kids so you'd know more of those 'strangers' and want to go to the New Years Eve party next year. I get there early so I have a place on the couch and I 'sip' my sparkling grape juice so I don't have to get up and lose my spot.

MsMegsy 5 years, 12 months ago

Hanging out at home with my husband - just a quiet evening - annual Monopoly game and champagne toast at midnight! Pretty lame for a young couple in their early 30's, but we've both worked in EMS too many years to do anything else!!

coolmom 5 years, 12 months ago

lol bob...we will be having friends over who also bring their children and playing the old people version of rock band probably on no fail. while the kids (ours are teens) play the same in another room and laugh at us.

phyllyphat 5 years, 12 months ago

because i did not see the new yr in last yr im not sposed to see it out, so well see... i guess i dig sleep

Mixolydian 5 years, 12 months ago

Pour a Glenfiddich, toast the haggis and recite Scots wa hae.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 12 months ago

Well, we are watching all the Chucky movies back to back. I just cannot get enough of that little guy. As for food, I am thinking fluffernutter sandwiches, a lot of butter pecan ice cream, (it is you know who's fave) and cocoa.On New Years Day we have a Freddy Kruger marathon to start the year in the right frame of mind.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 12 months ago

... a a a h h h h h h h h a a a h h h h h h h h a a a h h h h h h h h ...

SusieCreamcheeze 5 years, 12 months ago

Cosmic Bowling...then over to munchers foe munchiesSo much fun I am all a twiTTER

Christine Anderson 5 years, 12 months ago

Autie, beware while you are enjoying the homemade Mexican food that it has no pork in it! No slam here; I avoid it for the same reason.Anyway, about tonight. Spending the evening with two men who are blonde and very handsome. One hardly ever sleeps all night anyway, and the other will think it's great to try and stay awake until midnight! The younger one loves to watch "old" movies with me like "Jesus Christ, Superstar", "Holiday Inn", and "White Christmas".

countrygirl 5 years, 12 months ago

We're staying in too. I left stuff for chicken and noodles in the crock-pot this morning. That's the youngster's favorite along with mashed potatoes and biscuts. We'll probably either watch football or movies and be glad for the family time.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

Nobody likes to do Jello shots with lemurs. Nobody. The lemurs hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you do Jello shots with lemurs because your father wants you to. Then you do Jello shots with lemurs to get the girls. If you keep on doing Jello shots with lemurs, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you Jello shots with lemurs for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch others do Jello shots with lemurs, and that's fun. But nobody likes to do Jello shots with lemurs. Nobody.