Previous   Next

Does your wardrobe need a makeover?

Asked at 31st and Iowa streets on December 29, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, it does, and could you tell my husband before Christmas?”

“Yes, it does, because I don’t throw anything away.”

“Yes, because it shrunk.”

Comments

ariadne 5 years, 3 months ago

yes my spiderman outfit from 2002 doesn't fit anymore -too much bread at Wheatfields.

yoornotmee 5 years, 3 months ago

Right now my wardrobe consists of maternity clothing and my husband's t-shirts. I'm looking forward to getting to wear my pre-pregnancy "me" clothes again. Maternity fashion is not my style at all. It's all made for 30-somethings who work in a professional setting. I'm a 21-year-old housewife who likes to dress comfortable and cute, not sophisticated and professional. Plus maternity clothing is ridiculously overpriced (especially considering how long they'll be worn), so I'm wearing a lot of my sister-in-law's maternity clothes. I appreciate it a bunch, but we have very different styles. /rant

verity 5 years, 3 months ago

I would just like to find jeans that come up to my waistline. Hiphuggers were OK in the sixties when I wasn't, but now they're really obscene. And the low waists make the pockets so small that you can't put anything in them.A few more pairs of jeans that fit would fix my wardrobe just fine.

Windlass 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure of it. If people think I don't have mirrors, they're right, I don't, so what goes on is usually color coordinated, fits okay, and feels comfy; getting dressed being more tactile than insightful. I remember one time my dad telling me that it was hunting season, don't go outside. Can't remember now how much time passed before it hit me what he meant, calling me wild like that. Funny guy.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Everyone needs to look at the label for American made clothing. Unionlabel.com is a great place to look.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 3 months ago

I LOVE Sammie's response!! So cute! I desperately need a make-over but my kids come first so as long as they look good that's what matters. So while my jeans are kinda old or my shirts a little faded at least I know my girls are dressed nicely. But if anyone ever wanted to give me money just to go buy clothes for myself I wouldn't pass it up. Hint hint, lol

fleeba 5 years, 3 months ago

I wish i'd saved some of my clothes from years ago, can't guarantee i'd still fit in them, but i'm sure they'd be back in style. Thank Gawd that parachute pants and neon clothes haven't made it back yet..

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

autie,I down with that. But nothing. nothing stirs the loins like flannel and smoke jumper boots.

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

climbing trees, bounding over fences, running across fields....now that sounds like my kind of woman fellas. I too prefer the comfortable above the fashionable..

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

No pointy shoes for this chick. Or pointy bras, for that matter. Shoes should defer to the shape of the feet--not vice versa. And you can extrapolate for those other items of apparel. I'll surrender my jeans when you pry them from my cold, dead arse! Power suits? (Shudder!) Haven't succumbed to that nonsense for 10 years and counting. (My sympathy to those who can't avoid them due to job requirements.)In fact, as wardrobe additions go, I'd be happy with a few more pairs of jeans, a few more knit pullover tops (hate button-downs as they gap unless I buy them 3 sizes too big), and maybe some new socks so I can throw out all the ratty ones. If I can't climb a tree, go over a fence, or run through a field in it, it's not for me. That basic clothing rule of thumb has served me well all my life.

schula 5 years, 3 months ago

Multi -- makes my heart go pitter pat just thinking about it!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

Hmm..autie in one of those LLBean forest green thick cotton button front shirts that's been washed 100 times...hold me back!And where can I buy the poster?

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

If nothing else it puts meaning back into the phrase, "dressed to kill." The earth tones are manly and soft at the same time.

waka1 5 years, 3 months ago

dude i could shure use a new shirt

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago

,;-DOK, autie... now we depart.( tho I have some camo folding chairs that can't be beat )

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

and don't forget camo clothing..it goes with everything..

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

No. Jeans and t-shirts are permanently in style.

trinity 5 years, 3 months ago

does my wardrobe need a makeover-hah! indeed it does! as long as i don't get mixed up&wear any of my collection of Harley shirts to work, OR wear a power suit&pumps while riding, i should be ok for oh, another 30 years. :)

prospector 5 years, 3 months ago

Sue, too small? Are you implying he is getting broad at the beam or is it a result of your laundering techniques?Snap, Mind your P's and Q's or invest in some shin guards. I am assuming the cod piece is where it should be.

hawklet21 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes!!!! Women's clothes are ridiculously expensive, especially those damn pointy shoes...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm becoming alarmed at the extreme pointy nature of women's footwear these days.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago

Not where I live and breathe, autie... denim and chambray, all the way.

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

thanks sunflower. Now I think I know why my people tell me I need to move away from the Kmart collection from 1990...they said I can keep my cabelas line of stuff. Plus, my kid now picks out most of my new clothes..said I don't have any taste or sense of fashion..I guess the boots, jeans and work shirts of the 70's is out of style too??

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"Asked at 31st and Iowa streets on December 29, 2008" ljworld“Yes, it does, and could you tell my husband before Christmas?”— Jenny Brown, freelance writer, LawrenceWhat's going on here?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm expecting my resolution makeover to require a new wardrobe.

prospector 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, you can't have enough Levi 501's and Free State Brewery T-shirts.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 3 months ago

If you check out the Fashion Forward article today you can get some ideas. They all seem silly to me though. Classic styles never go out of fashion so a bit extra spent initially can have a huge impact later on. I still have a beautiful navy blue cable-knit sweater from the late 80s that I pull out a few times a year. It's warm and not a dated item so it works just fine and has for 20 years.

schula 5 years, 3 months ago

That would be great to be in a drawing for a gift certificate or something. I would like What Not to Wear to come visit me but not make me throw away all my clothes!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 3 months ago

Autie, in answer to your question: Because it's ugly, grubby, out of style, and usually 2 sizes too small.My wardrobe is in constant need of a makeover. Does answering today's question put me in a drawing for a gift certificate or something?

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

I could use a couple of buttons here and there..Why do spouses insist husbands get rid of their favorite clothing?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

Lets see... t-shirt and shorts.Nope, it's just fine.