Previous   Next

What was your favorite toy growing up?

Asked at Fun and Games, 1601 W. 23rd St. on December 22, 2008

Browse the archives

“I really liked Yahtzee. My girlfriends and I always played it at the beach.”

“My favorite toy was Baby Alive. It did what real babies do after feeding it a bottle. It was very amusing.”

“My favorite toy as a child was probably an American Girl doll. I loved all the accessories and dressing it up.”

“I loved to play with Legos. I had tons of sets, and I always mixed them up and built my own stuff with them.”

Related story

Comments

jonas_opines 6 years ago

Transformers Combiners sets. No question. Ahead of the Millenium Falcon, which was missing key pieces even before it was further tarnished by my cat dying next to it in my closet.

tonythetiger 6 years ago

that reminds me... I prefer Pringle's potato chips and some kid ate a ice cream malted in front of me once. We had Spill and Spell, and Word Yatzhee as well as regular yatzhee.I think I liked my electric guitar the most. I had a batmobile at one point and a superman doll.Later I got a Camaro with a 427 in it and a refractor telescope I could see the heavens with. I never had GI Joes and believe it or not my parents did not let me go see Star Wars at first so it was a long time before I got any Star Wars figures like the rest of the kids.

jaywalker 6 years ago

My Big Wheel!!!! Until my sister's gigantic friend sat on it and broke it. Man, I loved that thing. And we were particularly money-tight back then, so getting another one was out of the question. i was crushed, no pun intended.

Linda Aikins 6 years ago

My Chatty Cathy doll. Hands down.

mom_of_three 6 years ago

Man, I had lots of favorite toys as a kid. But my grandparents used to buy us various toy horses when they were on vacation, and we had a big sack of them, of various sizes. We used to play with those constantly, and our barbies and Best of the West people would go for rides. We also had something called Rinky Dinks or something. They were various colored plastic things that were circles on top, and had 4 legs, and you could put them together to build things.

Topside 6 years ago

Oh man, my head is spinning! Too many to name... prob my all time were little green and beige army men. They were cheap and I had a whole microwave box full of them and tanks and junk. i used to set up massive battles....good times.

trinity 6 years ago

my chrissie doll! she had red hair that would grow out of the top of her head when you pushed a button on her tummy...then you could turn a knob in her back to make it short again. that was my all time favorite doll! :)

tonythetiger 6 years ago

Wow, Stretch Armstrong. I always wanted one of those things. How about a Green Machine? I thought those beat the hell out of a Big Wheel.My sister had a drawstring dolly that the string got stuck on her and she would not shut up. In fact it talked so much it got to where the words got all garbled up and you could not understand anything she said. I thought maybe I would hang her by the cord that came out of her back. You know the old phrase... give a person enough rope...You all got me all excited about Christmas again. Actually my dad had 'connections' to mechanics in the garage industry in town and one Christmas he got two snowmobiles for a trade on a car he fixed up.

zikzak 6 years ago

I just loved my Sunshine Family dolls from back in the 70's :)   It was a small family, (mom, dad and a couple of kids) with a pottery barn and craft hut.  What a hippy family!

reanne 6 years ago

I don't think I really played with toys. I never had that one favorite toy. My mom always said I was never interested in toys. I liked singing and dancing, and annoying my parents... and I had little brothers to pester and torment!

ohjayhawk 6 years ago

My "Squad 51" from "Emergency!" It looked just like it.

SMe 6 years ago

My zip gun and Half-Dollar knife

deskboy04 6 years ago

I had a Vroom motor for my bicycle.

dajudge 6 years ago

My fave was a stick (recently voted into the toy hall of fame)! I could roll barrel hoops with it, or be conductor of the New York Phiharmonic. Once I even imangined it as part of a campfire, and then,,,there was no more stick.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

ohjay -- I've been watching Emergency! recently; that's a great truck.Anyway, my favorite toys were probably Legos and Construx. And I don't know if it counts as a toy, but our Commodore 64 (and later a C128) was pretty amazing.

Kat Christian 6 years ago

Shirley Temple doll (still have it). Then Barbie came out and she became my faviorite, but I always loved Shirley the best.

Calliope877 6 years ago

My toy horses, the kind made of resin that last forever.

mom_of_three 6 years ago

i used to have a chrissy doll, too. I think I had a toy horse that was big enough for her to ride on. Yes, I was obsessed with horses, when I wasn't riding a real one.

ohjayhawk 6 years ago

sgt - What station is playing Emergency! ?????? I'd love to watch it again!

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

ohjay, it's playing on RTN, one of the newer over-the-air digital channels; check their website to see if it's in your area:www.rtnville.comI just bought season 1 on dvd, and they have several other seasons out, too, so that's another option. The season 1 dvd set is great because it includes the 2-hour pilot episode, where the whole paramedic program is approved; it starts with Gage at another station, and then he becomes a paramedic and teams up with DeSoto at 51.

ohjayhawk 6 years ago

sgt - Well, if I were still living up where I grew up, I'd have an affiliate. However, i have no such luck where I am now. I remember one of the cable networks (TV Land, maybe?) that played it for maybe 2 months then took it off the air. I may have to look at getting the DVD's at some point.

trinity 6 years ago

i had two beautiful sets of clackers...each set was confiscated by humorless nuns and never given back to me. :(

mommyof1angel 6 years ago

I had a She-Ra castle that I loved!

Kynsicat 6 years ago

Definitely my Easy Bake Oven or one of my many Barbies! I'm a child of the seventies!

sheshapes 6 years ago

My bike with the banana seat and the white basket on the handle bars. Although, I did take the basket off so I could ride my friends on the handle bars. Chipped my front tooth doing that. Also, my roller skates. Thank the stars those cars never hit me while I was wildly coasting down that street in front of my house (it was a pretty steep hill too)!Oh and that rubber ball us neighborhood kids used to play handball and dodge ball--- just like the ones at school! And chalk for side walk graffiti and hop scotch. There was a field next to my house and a block over where developers later built a park--- but no toys needed. Just a jar to catch critters. I remember collecting a bunch of honey suckle from the field and spending a whole afternoon trying to squeeze the sweet juice out of the blooms in an attempt to fill a jar full of "honey". Of course, I never came even remotely close, and I barely made it home before the street lights came on! And what did we call those things? Chinese Jacks? They were colorful little plastic rings that we assembled into clusters--- we used the clusters to play hand-eye coordination type games. We also traded them. I really don't see those around anymore... anyone else remember these and ever see them around anymore?

jumpin_catfish 6 years ago

BB gun then I got a .22 then a bow and oh boxing gloves. Are you seein' pattern here?!

Bladerunner 6 years ago

Seems like our three choices were lincoln logs, building blocks and the big metal tonka trucks. I woulda killed for a big wheel!

leadstone 6 years ago

Transformers-(the older ones that were made with more metal than the newer ones You could chuck Ratchet across the living room and knock your brother stupid.You can't wrap THAT experience up in pretty paper to place 'neath the tree.) I had tons it seemed. Prime,Prowl,Bumblebee,Trailblazer,Megatron,Starscream, Ramjet,Asrotrain,the Conctructicons who merged to create Devastator, Grimlock and the other Dino-bots, a few Insecticons,Soundwave with Rumble,Frenzy,Ravage,and Laserbeak,Ratchet(one of my favs haha) the list goes on and on along with many fond memories and countless hours of ( my brother would differ) simulated warfare in the north Texas country. Ahhhhhhh. I can still smell the concussion. Tonka also ruled, and the KnightRider Big-Wheel. Happy Holidays all;)

freesample 6 years ago

I believe you can watch Emergancy on nbc.com. I loved My Little Ponies. Much better then Barbie.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years ago

Best toy ever... Whamo Wheelie Bar. Note the lack of shoes and helmets:http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBoETw...

Christine Anderson 6 years ago

Mrs. Beasley, and Little Lost Baby.In the past two years, I have reacquired those two dollies via ebay.When LLB arrived and I took her out of the box, it was like being teleported back to 1968.Speaking of Big Wheels, I took my little brother's for a spin when I was in 8th grade, just to see how fast it could go downhill. Never thought about the possiblity of traffic in those days; just "drive" the Big Wheel down the hill with feet off the pedals. Bad thing was, some of my fellow jr. highers saw me, it got around school, and there went my reputation!

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years ago

My Dolls and my No Bake Oven....and at Christmas time we made christmas tree fort's-we covered the swingsets with the trees. And the horses my dad made from boxes that we would run about in.

trinity 6 years ago

hah...yes blue, my clackers were a deep red in color with little sparkly things on top where the strings came out! sort of like tassels i suppose...;)i am lovin' this memory lane! and as py said, different fave toys for different ages...early on, i think i was 4-ish, i just loved my tin toy washer and stove and fridge, alongside my toy ironing board&iron! how's that for domesticity in the early 60's eh? later on i loved the spirograph i received for christmas one year...it really "turned me on", as the commercial said! :)

Rex Russell 6 years ago

Late 60's-Early 70's. Can't remember the name of it. Got it from the neighbor. It was kinda like a big wheel, but you sat down with your knees all crammed up to your chin. Had two huge black wheels on each side that you crank to go. Mostly just spin it around till you almost hurled. Kinda like a Big Wheel but two big wheels. Either that or SSTs. Anyone remember those? They were these dragstrip cars with a oversized wheel in the middle and a pull cord. Mannnnn, on a good yank you could gettem to go a whole city block.

lancer2002 6 years ago

rrussell- it's called a Krazy Kar. My coworkers and I just had a few hour long discussion about what the heck that thing was called.

George_Braziller 6 years ago

I loved building with blocks and tinker toys. I had two sets of wooden blocks -- one that I got when I was about five years old and another that belonged to my grandfather who would now be 98 if he was still alive.(I still like to play with them when I have a wee lad or lassie to share in the fun!)

RedwoodCoast 6 years ago

Definitely Legos and Construx. Construx aren't still around, are they? For all I know, they could be one of those resurrected toys, much like GI Joe or the Transformers.Did anyone else like He-Man toys? I guess my parents have my old ones squirreled away somewhere in their attic. I never did the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles thing. I was more into bugs and fossils to worry about getting the latest Ninja Turtle toy. You know, I did have a Gameboy as early as 1993. That thing got me by for a few years.Also, I guess I was a model rocket geek. I was in rocketry in 4-H and routinely received grand champion at the county fair. I also did two science projects involving model rockets in high school. In fact, my parents have most of my rockets squirreled away, as well. I've often thought of resurrecting those fun little toys. There is nothing like watching something you cut up, glued together, and painted fly 2400 feet into the air. Good stuff.

Christine Anderson 6 years ago

Redwood, my brother eight years younger than I was very into He-Man! Freshman year down here at KU, I went home for Christmas, and got in trouble for trying to flush the stupid He-Man doll down the toilet. Clean water, of course.

Clint Church 6 years ago

LIncoln Logs, Legos, the green army men and mostly G.I. Joe( I had the AT talking Commander). Is it just me or does TVland play the same shows over and over. And they never seem to be the good ones like Adam 12, Emergency, all the great dramas(Streets of SF,Cannon, Mannix etc.)Just a thought.