Previous   Next

Should the Amtrak passenger rail service be expanded?

Asked at Royal Crest lanes, Ninth and Iowa streets on December 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I believe it would free up travel for families and businesses.”

“Yes, there should be (expanded service) because without transportation, civilization would crumble.”

“Yes. … I think it would be fun. You get to look at the sites; it’s nostalgic.”

“I’m for it. … I went to Europe for three months, and the rail service there was great.”

Comments

OonlyBonly 5 years, 9 months ago

And how many of the respondents would actually take a train within the United States?For that matter how many of them use the Public Transportation we now have?Enquiring minds want to know. Pun intended.

Sheila Couchman 5 years, 9 months ago

If I had to go somewhere to work every day in Lawrence, I would try to use Public Transportation. I would love to take the train! We did that all the time when I was growing up. What a great adventure!!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

Forget Amtrak....I would like to see a bullet train system started in this country. If Japan and France can do it...so can we.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

I think guy number 4 needs another beer, and a good nap. Then we can talk trains.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 9 months ago

In order to make it available to all yet remain an attractive alternative to airlines;you must seperate(no,segragate)the classes.

redmoonrising 5 years, 9 months ago

Multi, May I ask which.....oh, never mind.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't know about this. How many people are so keen on scenery that they are willing to pay a lot for it, Amtrak is expensive, a room the size and shape of a coffin is around a hundred dollars a night. For that you could drive and spend the night at a pretty good hotel. I can see it in parts of Europe where Americans with time and money are tootling all over the place. Here, no. Off the subject. Does anyone know why the bad weather goes all around Lawrence and avoids us like the plague? Is there a bubble over Lawrence? Are we the real Eureka?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

Can Amtrak get me to the Dillon's on 6th St?

womanwarrior 5 years, 9 months ago

jumpin_catfish (Anonymous) says…Yes of course the government should expanded no matter the cost or how much money would be wasted. Taxpayers beware, Obama is coming and he's after your money.Is there going to be any left after Bush leaves, finally? Only 31 tortuous days left. But it's going to take a long time to recover from the slime bucket. Or are you one of those rich CEO's sucking the life out of what was once a productive nation? Or are you one of those living in the clouds, that yes I too will be filthy rich someday, just like Donald Trump. Get a real job and work for a living.

KU_cynic 5 years, 9 months ago

Expanding train service on high volume routes through dense urban areas like the Northeast might make economic sense given increasing traffic congestion and airport congestion. But out here in the vast interior of the country it just doesn't make any sense relative to personal cars, buses, and air travel.Face it, if someone wants to go from Lawrence to KC, Topeka, Wichita, Oklahoma City, or even Dallas it doesn't make sense to go by train.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

You have to be careful around that bayou. There was a carp swarm last week. A cow fell in the water & was stripped to a skeleton in less than a minute. When is Lawrence getting a zeppelin field?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

Isn't Bill Richardson, of NM, under investigation for playing loosey-goosey with some consulting firm that gave his campaign some big bucks?

average 5 years, 9 months ago

R_I: "How do you sequester carbon from a moving train?"Answer: you don't. You run trains on under-the-wire electric (like the US east coast, and most of Europe), with stationary power stations.Actually, the Russians have under-the-wire electric train service on the Trans-Siberian. You can ride on electric trainsets all the way from Aberdeen Scotland to Hanoi or Vladivostok.The US system is pretty sad in comparison.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

When is Lawrence getting a zeppelin field?I heard the Oread Inn has a secret plan to put a Zeppalin mooring post from the roof up, fo they can dock there. ***average, no, you can't ride electric trains from scottland to vietnam or russia. ever heard of the north sea?

average 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, Gnome, I've heard of the North Sea. And, I've not only heard of the Chunnel, I've ridden through it.