Previous   Next

What do you think of the new turnpike roundabout?

Asked at Jayhawk Gas & Food, 454 N. Iowa on December 16, 2008

Browse the archives

“I am not terribly fond of roundabouts in general, but there was very little traffic and it was easy to use the one time I used it.”

“I think it’s great … easy access.”

“It seems to be working more efficiently than it used to.”

“I like roundabouts for keeping the traffic flowing and moving, but I think people have a problem with how to use them.”

Related story

Comments

killjoy 6 years, 6 months ago

That is absolutely the worst use of a roundabout ever. Someone needs to be fired. It will be so backed up on game days. The re-exit to I-70 Westbound isn't marked with any signage. I've used the roundabout several times when cars are stopped in it waiting on traffic to blend in. It's time to admit that it was a mistake and re engineer this exit. It's a monument to stupidity and an embarrassment to Lawrence.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

I think guy #3 and #4 are long lost brothers and I think they are both related to Meatloaf.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 6 months ago

I have used it only once so far and had to dodge an aggressive tractor-trailer rig that decided size matters. I am waiting for the first time one of these suckers flips over and blocks access in both directions.

nekansan 6 years, 6 months ago

"but there was very little traffic and it was easy to use the one time I used it" Sounds like an open and shut case to get rid of the roundabout! It amazes me how inept some drivers seem to be with regards to roundabouts. They are so easy to use and so much more efficient to use than stop lights or signs. Every time I simply go through one with out having to stop I appreciate that the traffic planners in this country have finally realized what the rest of the world has known for decades.

average 6 years, 6 months ago

I like roundabouts. I could name at least twenty places I'd throw one down in Lawrence. These particular exits are really pretty dumb places for them.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 6 months ago

I think guy #4 and the lady at the bottom are related too.

Xwards 6 years, 6 months ago

While I prefer roundabouts, I find that this one seems to be banked the wrong direction--out instead of in. I wonder if with this icy weather, someone is going to slide off of it.

whatatown 6 years, 6 months ago

Ha! Throw your shoes at it! I don't think I'll EVER get tired of that joke! Give me more! More!As for the roundabout, they are definitely helpful in town, but I really don't know if an on/off ramp to a major highway is the most appropriate place. I see there being lots of confusion and problems on game days. The couple of times I have taken it heading towards Topeka it is a very awkward transition from the ramp to the highway, with visibility of traffic being low. I'm sure this will be fixed as the rest of the highway construction gets completed, but as of right now I don't like using that exit.

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years, 6 months ago

Its the same reason Lawrence does not have a shopping mall. The people are not capeable of change.

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh NO!!! You mean we have to learn how to drive in a circle and merge?Whatever shall we do?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm taking the roundabout a fruitcake to help it feel welcome in Lawrence.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Keating: I tried sending an email through my profile and never got a message, so if you see this I do still have a question I've had since the overhaul.Why, in our comments history, etc. do we no longer have a link to the article page where we've made comments? It's really quite aggravating, as it's hard to find discussions we've been engaging in using other methods, if they drop off the most-discussed list. I don't know if that was supposed to be a way to eleviate poster abuse, but if it was I'd suggest that it probably increases it, as when we are unable to continue ongoing conversations it's more likely for us to just throw out single-line garbage.If there's no reason for it, I for one would appreciate it being put back in.

girly 6 years, 6 months ago

I've used the turnpike roundabout several times and I think it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I'm sure we'll see many tractor trailer rig problems. Also, the reason Lawrence has never had a 'real' mall, is because the city and DTL Assoc won't let anyone compete with downtown.

alm77 6 years, 6 months ago

4? I thought "His name is Robert Paulson."

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

flux, is Jim Folks wearing a Dashiki and Kufi hat? Way to embrace your African culture Jim!

weatherguy48 6 years, 6 months ago

jonas_opines-Click on the 'permalink' button next to your comments when you are reviewing your history. That takes you to the article.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

Autie, my 4 year old likes her crocs so much that I got her and my one year old matching pink crocs with pink fur lining. I think crocs are great if you're a nurse or under the age of 10 for girls and 5 for boys. Oh and my grandma because she wears spandex pants and crocs just kinda go with her spandex leggings.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd think like with flip-flops that if you walk in water or wear them on a rainy/snowy day you'd be sliding all over the floor.

LawrenceTownie 6 years, 6 months ago

I have used the new turnpike roundabout two times. I think it is an "accident waiting to happen". It is not posted well in two critical places: the first where exiting westbound traffic merges, signs should be placed there stating no entry and the second place should be for Topeka westbound traffic from the roundabout to the turnpike traffic, it should have an arrow pointing west and state Topeka, right turn here. The most crucial and dangerous place of course is in the roundabout where the westbound traffic exits into the roundabout. If a car enters right there they will be heading east in the westbound lane. This was not a well thought about plan for the turnpike. I fully expect to read in the paper about an unfortunate accident due to a drivers error. Hope is doesn't happen but will not be surprised if it does.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

Prospector, I've noticed that too. Especially when someone would say, "I agree Rob" and there'd be no Rob or comment by Rob. Oh and by the way thanks for reminding me to go to the Randy article and post comment!

motomom 6 years, 6 months ago

i use it everyday.and it is just plain silly.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

Well if it was Randy commenting then mystery solved.

GardenMomma 6 years, 6 months ago

The biggest waste of concrete and space I've seen lately. I wonder what the rain and snow and sleet will do to the road condition on it.What was wrong with the original entrance/exit ramps?It's also dangerous to exit from the East and cross over to the k-tag lane. You can't see the westbound exiting traffic very well at all.

GardenMomma 6 years, 6 months ago

Have you see this article? There's another one for "outbound" driving. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/dec...

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 6 months ago

Ill be the round aboutThe words will make you out n outYou change the day your wayCall it morning driving thru the sound andIn and out the valley ..............Yes Great 70s band

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Great fun. My favorite is looping the roundabout at increasing speed until I completely lose control of the vehicle and roll down the embankment.Pulled a double just this afternoon! Woohoo!

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

spacehog, if you pay the hookers then they won't throw their shoes at you. Just a friendly tip for next time.