Previous   Next

Would you ever consider taking a self-defense course?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have taken them in the past. … I think it’s a very necessary thing for every woman to start feeling better about her ability to take care of herself.”

“Yes. … You never know what’s going to happen, and you want to be prepared.”

“Yes, sir, I would. … I don’t know how to defend myself when it comes to that time; I’d probably just run.”

“Yes, I would, because I think it’s good to know how to defend yourself, and if anything were to happen, I would want to be safe rather than sorry.”

Comments

tumbilweed 5 years, 4 months ago

You haven't experienced Rex Kwan Do, that's why.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 4 months ago

I played plenty of D & D when I was a youth, but I don't recall anything called a "bow staff".

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

sic 'em jonas!If she doesn't like the company at this diner, then take away her dessert and send her on down the road.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 4 months ago

I got pretty sweet skills, like nunchunk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills........

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

"A grandmother could take any of the “guys” that post on this newspaper."Hey, thanks to Taekwondo, I could spin-kick the cigarette right out of your grandmother's mouth. Of course, she'd have to just stand there, and I'd accidentally break her jaw badly in the process, as I'm not that cool. /metaphorical cigarette

OJ_Simpson 5 years, 4 months ago

Listen Cleopatra, I could defeat a woman twice your size...in fact I could defeat you and your sister...and your mom...and your daughter...and your dog...and your cat...and your grandma.

Napoleon_Dynomite 5 years, 4 months ago

This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bow staff.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh come on! A grandmother could take any of the "guys" that post on this newspaper. You need some new blood on here. Seriously. Why did not one of you learn things like spelling, how to punctuate a sentence, how to pick a subject and stick to it. Whatever you people are taking, do you buy it on E Bay?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 4 months ago

Don't need it. I'll just whip out my awesome skills. You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.....

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

prospector (Anonymous) says… I feel a Self-offense is a much better way to win a game.----Feeling like not showering until spring again Prospector?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

5 ???Feels like 5 ?!?!?!?!What the $%^& happened to the upper 50 degree day we were to have today?I need to gather the things the wind distributed yesterday, and bring more stuff in from the car!No wonder my siblings all left KS!--And yes, I should have taken self defense courses..turns out I needed them a few times over the years.Not stranger danger.

prospector 5 years, 4 months ago

I feel a Self-offense is a much better way to win a game.

mom_of_three 5 years, 4 months ago

I haven't, but the kids have since the Kelsey Smith case.

tumbilweed 5 years, 4 months ago

if you train to be a cage fighter, then you could chat online with babes all day long.....

sgtwolverine 5 years, 4 months ago

I have been taking one. But now my work is conflicting with it, so I haven't been going much recently.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

hey catfish..you could just buy yourself a liger..it's about my favorite animal.

tumbilweed 5 years, 4 months ago

This milk tastes like the cow got into an onion patch.Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

tumbilweed 5 years, 4 months ago

C'mon, catfish, give me some of your tots!

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

Was that a delay from the English dubs?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 4 months ago

No need, I just whip out my skills. You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 4 months ago

Don't need it, I can hurt ya, hurt ya bad cause I got skills. You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

spector, Autie and Autiedog plan on being out there here in just a bit..about the time that wind changes to north and it starts to spit some rain..it should be prime time..we're rolling out cookies right now..first round is in the oven..once that is done, we will gear up and fall into line.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

prospector: I was born able to move faster than the human eye can follow, since then I've just trained my reaction time.

prospector 5 years, 4 months ago

autie, The flags of Fraser have turned. Are the ducks not flying, worried they will get hit with some part of Oklahoma blowing by?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 4 months ago

I have taken several self-defence courses, both of which involved improving my ability to place 230 grs of jacketed hollow-points in the centre of the "A-Zone".

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

No running right now..just had the sunday morning eggs and slab bacon...waiting for the front to get here.

prospector 5 years, 4 months ago

Jonas, where did you find a course that makes you bullet proof?-------------------------------------------Will a self-defense course keep me from beating up on myself?If cornered in the truck, Mr. Tire Iron will address the problem. In the open, I run real fast.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 4 months ago

I already have, courtesy of Smith & Wesson.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

I guess I should, since I don't particularly like guns and they won't let me carry my katana around the town. But whatever, a set of keys as brass-knuckles, go for the side, the groin, or the neck. Or just don't worry about. Never had trouble anywhere I've gone.

labmonkey 5 years, 4 months ago

Cmon man, I need a conceiled-carry license just to wear a long sleeve shirt or to wear gloves. Noone will mess with me ;)

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

I'll just stick with my remington 870..it is quite the deterrent.