Previous   Next

What would you do to improve transit services in Lawrence?

Asked at Checkers, 23rd and Louisiana streets on December 12, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’d make the bus system one system for the whole town, the KU students plus the town people.”

“I think the guides (bus schedules) need to be easier to read.”

“Make it more accessible for students and safe, well-lit at night.”

“(I wish) that it would run later in the evenings.”

Related story

Comments

RomanNose 6 years ago

Definitely put in a subway or maybe even some sort of teleportation device. With teleportation, getting to the soup kitchen would be instantaneous.

H_Lecter 6 years ago

Get a corporate sponsor,,,,say for example, Hooters. Add a happy hour.

KSChick1 6 years ago

give everyone who rides a Klondike bar

Eaglepass 6 years ago

Park them all downtown and pass out free Ben and Jerry's!

jumpin_catfish 6 years ago

I would build a time machine, go back in time and vote NO again. Feel that, yep that's the local government probing you again. Don't worry it won't hurt too long, just take it you really don't have another option. Oh you could always leave this goofy little town and move where there is a little common sense but where would the fun in that be....

Poon 6 years ago

I want a bus system that will run busses from my house to my job every ten minutes sharp. I sure as heck don't want to pay for it though.

mcclear 6 years ago

Hire Topeka Transit's planning manager. He has made major improvements to Topeka's system and is a former KU grad. Topekas' routes are perfectly timed, intelligently designed and their ridership has increased since he has come on board. To know that we have a genius just thirty minutes away and we are not using him is typical. Come on Lawrence!

mcclear 6 years ago

I found it! His name is Matthew Long.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Research teleportation as a method of transportation to replace the bus system.

Alison Roberts 6 years ago

have a bus that goes all the way down Wakarusa from 23rd St. to 6th St and then back up 6th to downtown so it doesnt take me an hour to get to work.

Richard Heckler 6 years ago

• 20 minute intervals during rush hours After rush hours 30 minute intervals more shelters bus service until 11 PM Tie USD 497 into the systems. Let's have essentially one public system working with KU.

rachaelisacancer 6 years ago

All the things Merrill said, then also:Increase rates for individual rides while decreasing multiple/monthly pass rates.Allow non-KU students to use Safe Ride buses and cabs for a fee.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Hey, maybe they work multiple identical jobs and live nowhere. It's possible, right?

flux 6 years ago

The buses need to be downtown and available on Friday and Saturday nights, getting people home safely. If we as a community are going to pump millions of dollars into the “T”, lets make it work for a greater good. We can set an example to other city's that we care more about the communitys safety then revenue from DUI's!

Gail Grant 6 years ago

How about covering all the elementry schools in town?There is a lot of city beyond Wakarusa, but I guess the city thinks they are all too rich to drive the bus then why bother

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

R_I, couldn't she be a part-time housewife in two houses? Maybe?

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

I'm going to go with on-bus deejay. Yeah, that'd do it.

average 6 years ago

Have them all connect at the same time, downtown or elsewhere. I don't give a flying rip about getting downtown. Downtown doesn't have things like groceries or most of the city's employers. But, unless that's where you're going, the system is designed to strand you downtown for 20 minutes each way.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Having all the riders wear cheerful, bright clothing.

flux 6 years ago

This conversation is retarded

Drew_Carey 6 years ago

200 pts to H_Lecter.I'm all for that, happy hour on the bus.How about a glass bottomed upper deck?

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

flux, are you new or something? Most our conversations are as you say, "retarded". Well, at least my conversations are.

flux 6 years ago

No, I'm not new to this site. I do how ever enjoy using this forum as a way to vent and make myself feel better..... :0)

flux 6 years ago

I didnt understant one single word of that. I have read it 6 times and I do not get it?

flux 6 years ago

Im back and I just had a revelation.......flux is something you solder with! Now this makes sense. You got to admit, it was a bit of a tough read.

flux 6 years ago

I hope my night amounts to more then this.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

flux, you're cracking me up. Hope you had an eventful Friday night. Looks like my Saturday night is going to be filled with ljworld.com and UFC Finals.