Previous   Next

Will you miss the Wakarusa festival?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Mass. on December 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, I’ve never been to it. I’ll miss the stories from my friends.”

“I probably won’t personally miss it. I’ve never been to it, but I know it does bring a lot of revenue into the city of Lawrence.”

“Definitely. It’s one of the best weekends of the entire year … just hang out and listen to really great music and dance and have a great time.”

“No. I went to it in the past, and I was very disappointed that they had the main headlining acts all play at the same time.”

Related story

Comments

oldvet 6 years ago

I couldn't care less about it but my son enjoyed it and he would go out to the site after it was over... it's amazing the things that people left, lost or abandoned out there... last year he got a tent! It appeared to be brand new but one pole was broken, so the previous owner just left it. He now has a new tent for the price of a pole.

grammaddy 6 years ago

I never attende the concert myself, would have liked to, but I did work at a convenience store on 23rd and Iowa and I know the city will lose a ton of money because of it.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

I'm heartbroken, don't know how I can carry on.Oh, hey, biscuits!nom, nom, nom....I'm sorry, what was the question?

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

I wouldn't have cared if it stayed, but I really won't miss it if it's gone. No offense, it's just not my thing.

bombshell 6 years ago

I'll miss it. I've gone every year as have almost all of my friends and it was one weekend out of the year where many of our friends from out of state (Colorado, California, Mississippi, Florida, New York, Hawaii even ...etc) would actually fly or drive back to Lawrence to spend some time with us Kansas folk. It had great music for those who know anything about the bands who attended and it will be greatly missed. It's a chance to meet some really great people and to enjoy time with your friends and family (even my parents and their friends would come out for it). It was nice to have it in our "backyard" so we could go home to shower each day (yes, despite the stereotypes almost everyone there showers) or nap in the air conditioning for a few hours... but on to Arkansas I guess.

WhiteDog 6 years ago

I know that there are several non-profit organizations who will miss the money raised for their groups by selling concessions at the festival.

dajudge 6 years ago

I'll miss the easy access to all sorts of drugs. And I'm sure Munchers will miss the added business.

trinity 6 years ago

ok what's the deal, i am not able to get comments on any other stories! agh!

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Yes. I will be inconceivably distraught, its absence will haunt me like a midnight snack of pizza haunts my digestive system, and I will require counseling because of the void in my life left by the departure of the festival.At least, that might be how I'd feel if I'd ever been to the festival. Also, if I lived in Lawrence.Speaking of which, today's question was asked in the one business I've visited in Lawrence! Ah, memories. IIRC, Hadley is facing the table at which I sat.

ms_canada 6 years ago

Snow in Houston, can't believe it. Snap, is it that unusual? Must admit that driving on icy streets is scary. Sunday morning on my way to church,(a 5 min drive) I was scared witless. I would have been better off on skates, except I can't skate. Now the question. Won't miss Wakarusa but I would be devastated if our Folk Music Fest called it quits. It is indeed the best weekend of the year, any year!!! I have attended it for 28 or the 29 years it has run.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

TOB, the lemurs discovered the joy of coffee with a shot of brandy. It was a riotous evening at Rancho Snap.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

R_I, momma always told me I was spacial.

Topside 6 years ago

I will miss the pics of topless ladies on Lawrence.com. Other than that..umm...no.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

ms_c, the last measurable snow in Houston was Dec 24, 2004. TOB, once the brandy cask was broached, the lemurs stayed indoors.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

I'll miss it just because it was my chance to watch my niece for a whole weekend while my my hippie chic sister went to the music fest. Man....well maybe there'll be a big canoe trip or something coming up in the future.

dpowers 6 years ago

I just love how all of you NEOCONS who CONSTANTLY complain about taxes and loss of business income for this city are happy to see this festival go. This festival brought tax dollars into our part of the state. It is indeed sad to see it go. If you have never been out there, then you missed a GREAT festival. I suppose that if it was some Redneck-drunken-stooper-george bush-love festival, then you would be up in arms!

jumpin_catfish 6 years ago

There was a festival at Clinton Lake?

budwhysir 6 years ago

duuude what kind of a bogus deal is this?? Isnt there some kind of bailout money we can use to keep this thing here in town???

storm 6 years ago

The Lawrence community and especially families were privileged to have this wonderful experience with all types of music talent in our midst. The Jesus Christ Superstar on Sunday Morning was sensational. Yes, I will miss it. Hope the new site has a family campground like Clinton did.