Previous   Next

What do you think should be the next KU chancellor’s priorities?

Asked at Wescoe Beach on December 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“Academics … making it a priority for everyone to graduate in the minimal amount of time as possible.”

“I think the next chancellor should focus on ecological sustainability … being a model for the rest of the community to follow.”

“I think the bureaucracy needs to stop … they should make it more attractive and easier for international students to survive here.”

“I think we should focus on getting more money for the arts programs.”

Related story

Comments

Tony Kisner 6 years ago

Of the four I guess Evan is the only student paying his way or is concerned about the person footing the bills.His comment is spot on, my kids experience with the KU is that the service provider is completely unaware of the service purchaser or such a relationship exists. The next question on the street should be directed to professors, "Do you think that KU would be a better place without students?" I would expect a reluctant no hiding the truthful yes.

Topside 6 years ago

Abdullah looks baked....Anyway Zack Flanders...what the heck does that mean? Ecological sustainability...Are there endangered species living on campus?.....besides freshmen virgins that is. I think he should stay in school for awhile.

gccs14r 6 years ago

Why am I not surprised by the xenophobic comments? As for the question, deferred maintenance is the big priority. It makes no sense to upgrade labs, classrooms, and offices while the buildings themselves are crumbling. Once the campus is secure, salaries need to be addressed. KU is losing good people to other institutions.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

I think he should focus on a Men of KU calendar. That's the first thing I'd be thinking about. Wonder why I never became chancellor?

woodenfleaeater 6 years ago

Athletics, National Championships and Mangino's weight problem.

SMe 6 years ago

For years we've heard about getting back into the "Top 25" but we never seem to make it well the athletics department sure has at least in income. Now it's time to get the University as an educational institution back to it's previous glory!

smarty_pants 6 years ago

Get the KU Endowment Assn to give up some of its cash. All this whining about how they have to use it for specific programs is not completely true. They usually have a contingency in agreements with donors that the KUEA board can opt to use the money for other purposes in an emergency. What defines emergency? I don't know...how about a major recession? Maybe a depression?

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Is a chancellor like a president?

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

But R_I ... I thought the election process was noble and free from the influence of money and always produced the best candidate, no matter who spent what! Stop ruining my idealism.Anyway, what I meant was not like the U.S. president, but like a president at other universities that don't use fancy titles like chancellor. Michigan has a president, not a chancellor. And if a chancellor is like a president, then his main role would be fundraising; I'm told that's a lot of what college presidents really do.

1029 6 years ago

Pressure Lew Perkins to pressure Mark Mangino to fire Clint Bowen.

janeyb 6 years ago

Crumbling buildings are unnecessary. Many liberal arts classes can be done online. No reason to make students come to campus for these courses. KU is going to have to address virtual college.I agree with Evan and Easy-does-it. Go to housing or financial aid, etc. Say "This is wrong. Your policy is wrong. Who do I go to next? Who is in charge?" The answer is "Noone--at least noone we are going to tell you about." The other frustrating thing to me at KU has been that I tried to handle things myself. They would just kiss me off, so I bring a parent on campus to address the problem and suddenly there are alternatives. Then KU says "Boo-hoo, you had to have your parent come rescue you." Very frustrating campus, but I'm graduating and I've got a job. I'm outta here and never have to give KU another dime. Love the students. Love the tradition. Hate the administration.

beatrice 6 years ago

I think it interesting that Allison used the word "focus" in her comment, given the photographer's failure to do so.The new chancellor should concentrate on keeping college affordable for most and doing what is needed to keep tuition from continuing to rise.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Good effort, bea, but as a photographer, I have to nitpick: from what I can tell, the problem was shutter speed, not focus. He should have used the flash for the last picture (as he did for the second and third pictures), but for whatever reason, he didn't. That resulted in a slow shutter speed, which resulted in motion blur.That said, it is true that the drama of a blurry picture does fit the drama of a theater student.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

"Answers seem kind of staged."That's because they're actually in college. It might have been more interesting had they asked this question of KU grads out of college a few years.

gccs14r 6 years ago

"Crumbling buildings are unnecessary. Many liberal arts classes can be done online."Sure, if all you're interested in is a piece of paper, rather than an education. Learning is interactive, if it's done right.

beatrice 6 years ago

sgt, the photographer failed to focus on the task at hand and took a blurry picture.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Ah, yes. You are correct. My mistake!

gogoplata 6 years ago

National Championships in both Football and Basketball.

jumpin_catfish 6 years ago

Sports of course that's what modern universities are all about. Right?Oh, continue the process of dumbing down when ever possible.