Previous   Next

What qualities should a candidate for City Commission or school board possess?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on December 4, 2008

Browse the archives

“Integrity and no relatives working for the city.”

“They should be a statesman. They should be able to bridge factors together to make them work in a cohesive unit.”

“Be informed and know something about finance.”

“Concern for the community.”

Comments

booklover 5 years, 4 months ago

Support for library services and a comprehensive plan to bring those services up to par in the most efficient, economically feasible way possible. With an understanding that improved library services will indeed enhance the entire community. Instead of just paying lip service to the issue just to get elected. on another note:I too, am extremely saddened by the loss of Jan Green. My thoughts and prayers are with the boys and the entire Green family.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Isn't it Tom who has the home made instrument collection they wrote up ?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Hog -Yeah, Tom looks like he participated in the early morning wake and bake before breakfast.

spacehog 5 years, 4 months ago

Is Hy-Vee the new hangout for retirees? I thought it was Munchers Bakery, unless it's closed too, along with Arensberg's and Freeman Used Furniture. Oh, I guess that idiot Larry doesn't hang out there anymore. He got him a retiree turnpike job. Verner, you're still lookin' good and going strong. Tom, it appears you're still smokin' a little "mother nature.....

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Jumpman!Tears about Jan Green passing yesterday. Email is going around to the class.

TheStig 5 years, 4 months ago

I balanced checkbook and at least a C+ in Basic Economics.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

not so much the queenie wave as the clenched fist..I did ride on the back of the trash truck when I was mayor. But that was the silly doo-dah parade..Neewollah grand parade meant the hot trans am or the sporty touring car.

prospector 5 years, 4 months ago

autie, Did you get the Queen Elizabeth wave down as you rode on the back of a pickup truck in the Neewollah Parade?The wave would be a must.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 4 months ago

Bring a solid and substantial economic growth plan to the community and forget boom town economicsBe willing to implement economic impact tools to prevent over growth and economic pollution aka no net gain and increased taxes agree to tax dollars funding an experienced economic growth team in city hall where transparency might prevail.Understand:Economic growth is assessed by the growth in demand, which is the growth in people and their income. When we have more people and these people have more income, then their spending will demand more goods and services. * that building more homes and stores does not generate more people or income. Demand must precede supply and support supply. If supply is built beyond the available demand, then bad things happen. Older neighborhoods decline. Older shopping centers empty out and become blighted. Developers never pick up the cost of this blight; they simply look to the taxpayers to pay the very expensive costs of redevelopment. Even this expensive redevelopment fails unless there is sufficient demand for the revitalized space. It is crucial to the health of any community that the growth in supply be kept at a pace that matches the growth in demand.

budwhysir 5 years, 4 months ago

they should have a home, a car, and tha ambition to keep a job longer than one month.. Part timers need not apply. This person should also enjoy recess with milk and cookies and nap time

ariadne 5 years, 4 months ago

own a large hotel & restaurant?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh, Beach Head. I loved playing that game on our Commodore. I actually thought about throwing Duke Nukem in the mix, too, but Wolfenstein won out....And now Duke Nukem is making me remember Commander Keen, which was also hilariously fun.

demonfury 5 years, 4 months ago

I think you might have to be heavily invested into a pharmaceudical company that is wanting your city to give them free use of property and tax payers money. A member who will circumvent the open record policy to make decision outside of a public forum in order to push it through to enhance their inventment in said company. Oh wait we already have a couple of those. My bad.......

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 4 months ago

I played pong once when I was 9. It made these cool "pong" sounds.Cost me a quarter at Shakey's Pizza Parlor, so I guess I would be disqualified from holding public office under sgt's plan. I am however, a natural born citizen..At least for now...

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

RBI baseball. I'd be mayor for life. Anything else, I'd be a loser every time.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 4 months ago

sgt - I would suggest either River Raid or Beach Head for those like me that grew up in the 80's. Perhaps even Frogger???

sgtwolverine 5 years, 4 months ago

That's a brilliant idea! I heartily cosign.We could expand this for national offices, too; in addition to Mario Kart, we could have another round with Wolfenstein, Goldeneye and Halo. Or something like that. Maybe throw in another round for another genre, too. Would three rounds be enough to elect a president?

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm probably not ambitious enough today to take on what that might say.Maybe we could have a World Series, with both team Rugrat and team Geezer playing a five game series, two games on home turf for Rugrats (Wii), two for Geezer (N64) and one on neutral ground (Gamecube). The winning team gets to be the city commission for the next two years.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, I imagine some of you haven't seen this yet. Matt has done a new blog about the jayhawks and NBA potential.You'll probably have some fun on it.http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/hawks_nba/2008/dec/04/what-couldve-been/--Ronda has started a new Beach Boys game too.http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/at-random/2008/dec/04/interactive-the-beach-boys-song-title-game/

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

It was part of the plan multi.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 4 months ago

An unlimited supply of Klondike bars.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 4 months ago

That's a good question, Jonas, and I don't think we can limit it to just one; however, the value of victory in the Wii version would be considerably greater because it's probably the version twelve-year-olds are most familiar with. The SNES and N64 versions might give most candidates more of a home-field advantage, so a victory in those versions wouldn't be worth too much. Basically, you get only a minor boost from beating the kids on your turf (game systems whose heyday was well before the twelve-year-olds were playing video games), but you get a big boost for beating the kids on their turf (the current game systems). How much that difference could affect votes would vary from voter to voter; I might not consider a candidate who won on the SNES, but another voter might put more weight to that.(What does it say about me that I can spend this much effort thinking about something like this?)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

You knew when you posted that, you were going to mess with our minds, didn't you deja?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

I see I was razzing the wrong person about cables!lolDoes the little woman rearrange the 'toys' on nights you go out drinking, so you stumble through the living room when you come home late?

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

sgtwolverine (Anonymous) says…"The ability to beat a twelve-year-old at Mario Kart."Which one? SuperNes, N64, or Wii? Just planning my strategy.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, on your break, make a nifty snowflake. Different from the McD's one, and you can leave messages for people.This one flake it will show is so cool!http://www.popularfront.com/snowdays/index.html?id=7164177

sgtwolverine 5 years, 4 months ago

The ability to beat a twelve-year-old at Mario Kart.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, that black cable slapping the water gives you away everytime.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

R_IYou need get WiFi out to your blind.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 4 months ago

autie,You were just too fast for me. The connection to the interwebs here in my blind are quite slow. And the keyboard with only 12 keys really hoovers.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

that's an affirmative R_I. In a huge city of 9800 people.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 4 months ago

autie,Have not you previously ran and served in the capacity of city commission?"A penchant for answering questions with lots of flowery adjectives and take ten minutes to give said answer…without ever answering the question. And make the asker feel good about the answer..That's all it takes."So online OTS respondents have all the qualities required?

SMe 5 years, 4 months ago

Necks, not heads on springs such as current batch.Yes, I called 'em bobble-heads again.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

well consumer1, (tongue in cheek) been there, done that. But when I served, I actually gave real answers...4 years of thankless decision making with no pay and good citizens cornering me in WalMart on Saturdays complaining about this and that...

Tony Kisner 5 years, 4 months ago

They need to have a snow shovel. One picture of a snowy sidewalk and the campaign is done.

budwhysir 5 years, 4 months ago

They should have good connections on one of these out of state research firms that send our state and city revenues to other states

consumer1 5 years, 4 months ago

Good answer autie, have you ever thought of running?I think, they should swear an oath to have a hand cut off if they declare any party affilitation. They are supposed to not use the school board as a springboard for greater political aspiration. "Wait, let me catch my breath, I can't stop laughing". anyway, qualities, They should NOT accept any funding or contributions from the NEA. or any other school related lobbyist group.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh, I'd say the ususal qualities. A penchant for answering questions with lots of flowery adjectives and take ten minutes to give said answer...without ever answering the question. And make the asker feel good about the answer..That's all it takes.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

Having the press on your side and millions of dollars of untraceable cash will help.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 4 months ago

I can't wait till I retire. Get to sit around and drink coffee while hiding from the wife at the HyVee.

otto 5 years, 4 months ago

How do you get that retired job?

DouglasCountySucks 5 years, 4 months ago

A frikin brain, unlike the ones in place now.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

Probably a home, maybe a car, and now they can possess chickens, so we probably ought to include that too. They can have a Guard Roo, too, but if they do then I get one.