Previous   Next

Do you think it should be illegal to keep chickens within city limits?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on December 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“I do not think it should be illegal … because it’s silly. People should be able to do what they want on their properties.”

“Absolutely not. … They help keep pests down … and they’re friendly, they make great pets.”

“No. They could be a pet, just like any other animal with claws.”

“No, I don’t. … I know people in other cities who keep them … and they’re having no problems, no disease.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Yes! I think chickens should be able to go beyond the city limits if they so choose.

Danimal 6 years ago

Yeah, hens will lay unfertilized eggs without a rooster. I don't care if people have chickens in the city limits as long as it is limited to say 10 or a dozen hens and roosters are absolutely prohibited. The last thing I need is a rooster waking me up at 5AM, and then crowing periodically all day long.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Eating chickens or racing chickens?

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

blue, the lemurs & the chickens have come to terms for the time being.

chargdup 6 years ago

I'm glad the City is worrying about this issue instead of eliminating its debts. We wouldn't it to have its priorities in the wrong order.

jaywalker 6 years ago

Per usual, snap cuts right through the minutia and gets down to brass tacks. Well done, pop!

gr 6 years ago

"I'm glad the City is worrying about this issue instead of eliminating its debts."Well, they are. They are finding new ways to generate revenue.

SMe 6 years ago

No only yes but H*LL yes! They're dirty, nasty, noisy animals.

jonas_opines 6 years ago

"They could be a pet, just like any other animal with claws."Lions and Tigers and Bears?Oh my!

jonas_opines 6 years ago

As long as eventually I get to have my Guard Roo, I don't care if people are allowed to have chickens.http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/09/kangaroo2AFP_468x693.jpg(before you start about cruelty, you can see here that I'd take good care of him when his shifts are done)http://eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/drunkkangaroo.jpg

mom_of_three 6 years ago

In my hometown, my grandparents lived just inside the city limits, and raised chickens for food. They would get them as babies, raise them, and then butcher them. Made the best fried chicken.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

Hens should be allowed...with quantity restrictions. Roosters should be banned. Any chicken that hops the fence is fair game.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

"No only yes but H*LL yes! They're dirty, nasty, noisy animals."The same could be said for many animals that are currently legal within city limits. If chickens are properly kept, they're no worse than many other animals one might have within the city limits; if chickens are improperly kept, they're dirty, nasty and noisy ... just like dogs.Ann Arbor recently had this debate and decided to make it legal to keep a limited number of chickens within city limits; thus far, there has been no glut of complaints about dirty, nasty, noisy animals in Ann Arbor.

spammer89 6 years ago

“No only yes but H*LL yes! They're dirty, nasty, noisy animals.”If that is the case then we need to ban Hippies and Bums as well.

Kat Christian 6 years ago

No. My neighbor behind me has chickens and they are no problems at all. I love hearing their clucking in the morning. They had a rooster but had to get rid of it (some city ordinance) I really enjoyed hearing its little crowing in the morning and it wasn't really that loud. So I think as long as people are responsible pet owners why not? Of course there are the few idiots that are too lazy to be responsible and let things go - they ruin it for the people who do take care of their pets. Even chickens.

Jock Navels 6 years ago

All humor aside....this issue is coming up in towns all over the US. It is probably directly related to the price of eggs in the grocery store. The natural philosopher Wendell Berry addressed the issue of the loss of the home as a production center in his work The Unsettling of America. It is well worth reading. In a couple of months, it may be a question of "Can a family bake some pastries in their home kitchen and sell them on the street?"

jonas_opines 6 years ago

"This is part of the dangerous widening of the melamine scandal I predicted earlier today."Not to contradict, but the melamine scandal has been widening since the first reports, well over a year ago. Curious as to what you're suggesting as a solution, though. Mandated testing? Something else?

salad 6 years ago

My cat says,"Teh chickenz has gots to go. Make dem into nuggetz...nom, nom, nom."

nytemayr 6 years ago

I've seen, horse, sheep, goat, pig, coyote, rabbit, ferret, parrot and fox in town.I think its ok to have a chicken but not a chicken farm within city limits. I live in town and also near the feedlot just east of North Lawrence. The smell is horrible. Can we have a law that says the smell of the animal in the city limits is the same as the animal being in the city?

make_a_difference 6 years ago

My Dad's comment whenever driving by a feedlot or pig farm was "Smells like money to me."consumr1 - count me as one of the crazy people. I also grew up on a farm with grandparents on both sides farming. One of my favorite smells is a hayloft. When my daughter had guiena pigs I bought hay by the bale rather than those tiny (expensive!) bags of hay from pet store and kept it in the garage. Loved going out and having that hayloft scent there!This chicken question caught my attention from the beginning. I was in the process of looking into how to build a moveable coop, thinking of keeping 3-4 hens (I love the sounds they make) - fresh eggs are wonderful. My teen daughter was horrified - something about me "becoming the crazy chicken lady". I backed off from my "project" to wait and see what the city decides about chickens within city limits - don't know if they would grandfather in any existing poultry.Oh yes, since finding out that one of her friend's mother has a few chickens here in town, she has decided I wouldn't be so crazy after all! (she apparently has some concerns about my probable slide into some strange reality after she goes to college next year and it's just me on my own!) (I'm sure to be that "crazy" someone or other!)

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

With the way the economy is going I think we all could use a couple chickens of our own. Eggs can get expensive!

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

I'm always looking at ways to save money! I just ordered 30 photo Christmas cards online for $5.00. I only had to pay shipping for an order that would have cost me $30 bucks!!! Anyone wants the coupon codes I got them!!! It's like a shopping rush for me! Whue!!!! I already called all my family and most my friends to share the bargain!

Kyle Neuer 6 years ago

Absolutely.Raise as many as you like.Next door to my ex.

BaxterC 6 years ago

If it's made illegal the Chinese restaurants will have to figure something else out.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years ago

My neighbor had chickens and a rooster. They were not as noisy as her geese. And, my dog got his exercise running up and down the fence barking at them. Course, then I had animal control at my front door about the barking dog.....so, maybe it should be illegal.....

H_Lecter 6 years ago

If citizens would just take home a homeless person, instead of a chicken we wouldn't have a homless "problem"Many are already self marinaded Sliced into cubes, skewered with vegetables, and cooked until all the pink is gone, they should be safe and taste just like chicken.

jonas_opines 6 years ago

multiD: That or the fortified wine.

RedwoodCoast 6 years ago

Chickens are fine, but I have lived next to someone with a rooster. And wouldn't you know, it picked the cedar tree right outside my bedroom window as its favorite roost. Silence your roosters, people.

yankeevet 6 years ago

They allow chickens in KFC; so they are already within city limits.................in fact i ate one yesterday...

Crossfire 6 years ago

Bring dem chickens to town.My hawks is hungry.

bolshavik_vw 6 years ago

They should be able to keep whatever they want on their property as long as it is not mean and as long as it is up to date on all of the shots. And as long as they have a suited place for it to live in. There is nothing worse than to see on Animal Planet, Animals that are being neglected, starved to death almost and do not have a suitable environment, to live in and call their own.