Previous   Next

Did you cheat in school?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on December 1, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes…in P.E. I cheated on laps. I didn’t run as far as I was supposed to run.”

“No, I don’t think so, I really don’t. … I made good grades.”

“I don’t think so…never even thought about it.”

“No. I respected the teachers, and if you cheated in school, you were only cheating yourself.”

Comments

Christine Anderson 6 years ago

Heck yes! Mom, if you're reading this, it's too late to punish me. I've been out of high school 26 years.I used to cheat on music theory tests in band, of all classes. The tennis shoes I wore back then had these wide strips around the fabric part of the shoe, and I would write half-steps, chromatic scales, etc. on the side of said shoes and just glance downward.I also saved the notes my mom wrote me when I was legitimately absent. I would take them home again, and trace mom's cursive handwriting to form "new" notes for whenever I needed them. The attendance staff was either really dense, or else they wanted to let me get away with it. My now 20 yr. old daughter is not the master I was. When she was a 7th grader at West, she called the school pretending to be me, excusing herself for the day. The secretary turned right around and called me. Oops!Now if you want a sure-fire way to get to stay home, here's what you do. Request oatmeal for breakfast on a 10 below Jan. morning. Observe mom going into kitchen for her third cup of coffee. Take bowl of oatmeal and sneak into bathroom with it. Lift lid of toilet. Drop oatmeal, by spoonfuls, into toilet at say, five second intervals. Wait. Mom comes to door and asks, "Are you sick?" Answer with, "Oh yes, mom, I'm throwing up." Worked every time!Tips for cheaters; wait at least 20 years before confessing to your parents. After all, what are they gonna do about it?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years ago

I'm with Py on this one. It evokes an echo from the past..."...Where is the sense in [cheating] Without the grace to be it?"

jonas_opines 6 years ago

It happened every once in a awhile in high school, but I frankly didn't care enough about my grades in high school to make it a frequent occurance.

beawolf 6 years ago

Sometimes, especially in history classes, I would jot down some codes on a desktop that I knew I would be sitting at for the exam. I now realize that it took just as much effort to memorize the codes as it would have been to remember the actual answers. On the other hand, if you ask me when the Treaty of Ghent was signed, I'll always remember 12D14. December 12, 1814.

jonas_opines 6 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what Karen Thoren is looking at. I think a car is about to hit the photographer.

mom_of_three 6 years ago

I didn't sneak answers from anyone's test and always wrote my own papers. I do remember getting an answer on a quiz from a friend, but she gave it, I didn't ask. Never wrote anything on shoes, pants, hands or cheat sheets.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

I fed test answers to my friends in Latin class. Poor guys! They were Latin-challenged and I just couldn't help but feel sorry for them.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

I never really cheated on tests. We always cheated on homework by giving answers to one another but I didn't think that was a big deal. I was the master of BS essays though. I don't think I ever really researched any of my papers and always got an A. What can I say I'm a master BSer. Should have been in politics.

dustyshook 6 years ago

R_I:I'm impressed that you are versed in NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming)! Not too many folks know about accessing memory by using eye movements. It's quite a fascinating study.Cheers!

alm77 6 years ago

When I was in high school one of the Juniors stole the lab keys of our biology teacher and had a copy made. Then he returned the originals undetected. When tests were coming up and the very predictable teacher left the school on his free hour, the student would go into the classroom, copy all the answers and distribute them to friends and whoever. He didn't just do it for his class, he did it for every class, just cause he could. One day, I had a dark blue folder with the answers written in pencil on one side and a dirty poem my friend had written on the other. I "took the test" and left class. The next day, the teacher stood in front of the whole class with my folder in his hand, (I'd left it in my desk) and said he had something he wanted to share with everyone. He loudly read the poem and asked who it belonged to. I raised my hand and the whole class laughed hysterically, including our teacher. Apparently he either didn't see that the answers to his test were on the other side, because I absolutely would have been dead meat if he would have.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Closest I came to cheating was writing an incomprehensible research paper on the history of American / Mexican radio treaties. I knew the instructor wouldn't look at it very closely.

alm77 6 years ago

multi, that thought occurred to me later in life, but I don't know. The kid who got caught with the keys almost didn't graduate and I know that other kids who did get caught by this teacher were given maximum suspension and forced to apologize to him. He didn't particularly like me like he did some kids. So, really, it'd be hard to know for sure, but at that moment, I was absolutely positive he hadn't seen it. I think the poem was in ink, while the answers on the other side were in pencil, which was hard to see on the dark blue paper unless you let the light hit it just right. Years later, I ran into him in a store and he didn't even remember me, so it's not like I can even ask him. I'll just never be sure.

coolmarv 6 years ago

No I did not and I had the grades to prove it.

smot 6 years ago

The real point of the study was to determine what percentage of people admitted to cheating and whether they thought of this as a bad thing. The people who did the cheating still thought of themselves as good people. Seems like this continues into adulthood with people cheating rampantly on their taxes and their spouses, even committing crimes (some serious like murder) and still generally looking at themselves as good people. The loss of character in the world is alarming and always comes home to roost (i.e., the recent financial armageddon).

bevy 6 years ago

Hard to cheat when your dad is a teacher in your very small high school - and you have to take classes from him! But I never wanted to, and never needed to. I spent half of high school with my nose in a novel because I finished the work in the first 15 minutes of class. I should also say it was a privilege to take classes from my dad. My favorite during senior year was economics. There were 3 students in our class - me, my brother, and one other girl who was a good student, too. We FLEW through that material. I felt sorry for her though, because she had to put up with our family language all semester...you know, the inside jokes, the puns, etc.

webmocker 6 years ago

"Oh Heavens no.That would be tantamount to running for President of the U.S. and not be actually be born in the U.S.A."Is this in reference to John McCain, born on a military base in the Canal Zone in Panama?

veronika 6 years ago

more like, did i ever NOT cheat??

alm77 6 years ago

smot, this cheater reformed. I drive my husband crazy with my right/wrong/accuracy mindset. Especially on taxes. And it wasn't that I wasn't smart enough to get the grades on my own, it was that I just didn't want to do the work. Nevermind the fact that if I'd put the effort into studying that I did into cheating, I'd have earned an "A". But while cheating I had to purposefully miss a few questions, and didn't get an "A". Oh, the things that don't occur to teenagers....

mom_of_three 6 years ago

I did feel a little guilty about getting an answer from a friend, but she had a higher grade than me (may have been a saluatorian herself), but I finished the year with a 4.0. My parents probably would have been mad if we were caught, but sometimes, the pressure just gets to you, man.But it was only twice in 12 years, so I stopped killing myself about it as soon as I graduated.

TtownKUlivin 6 years ago

As I like to say, good students study, but great students cheat..I cheated a lot because it was too easy. The world is full of cheaters, so if you want to get ahead, then make it happen anyway you can.

Topside 6 years ago

I like the four pollees. you have one smart-alec and three liars.

persevering_gal 6 years ago

Yes, but only in high school. Once I got to college, I instantly stopped. There is no way I want to be expelled from KU! The high school I went to now uses software to detect plagiarism - which is one method of cheating I once used in high school.

dandelion 6 years ago

Wow, I'd like to know the real names of the admitted cheaters. I wouldn't want to hire them for a job. How could you ever trust them?I can say I never cheated. All my grades good and bad were mine alone. I even correct people if they give me the wrong change, and when a customer left her purse in our bathroom, I returned it with all money intact. Maybe I'm a goody two shoes, but I've never been fired from a job, and can be trusted. I guess I should thank my parents for that.

kusp8 6 years ago

AHH...Come on LJW I was looking forwards to commenting on the "I'm not sure" button that is inevitably on all of your polls.

alm77 6 years ago

dande, just cause I cheated when I was 15 doesn't mean I'm a dishonest thief in my 30's. I've done plenty of the same things you have and have been a very honest employee at all my jobs. People aren't set in stone. They change, they grow up. I'm just not braggin' about it. Elrond, I never cheated in college either. For me, high school was a joke. College was a whole 'nother deal. There was no way, no how I would have ever cheated in college. That may have been due to the fact I was attending Bible college where you're not just dealing with a guilty conscience, but your professor passes out test while reminding you of the wrath of God. ;)

RedwoodCoast 6 years ago

Oh man, I need to hit the sack, but...I guess I may have cheated in my weightlifting class; I didn't do all of the reps that the workouts usually required. Granted, I enjoyed it, but I guess I wanted it to be more on my own terms.As for actual academic cheating, I did--but only once. During junior high, we were required to write a 350-word essay on soil conservation for our English class and submit it to an essay contest. Each year, there was a soil conservation meeting where the winner of the essay contest had to read their essay to about 300 people. Our English teachers usually provided examples of past student essays. One year, I jumped through the hoop of essentially paraphrasing one of those old essays. My mom, of all people, called me on it. Luckily, I didn't win.Other than that, I was normally the guy everyone wanted to sit next to on test days. You wouldn't believe how many times I would catch people glancing at my tests. The best part of it was intentionally answering questions incorrectly, acting like I'm finished so that whoever is copying thinks they can just hand their test in (thinking that they will at least manage a B or C even if I change my mind on a question or two), and then correcting the test prior to handing it in. Hey, they deserved it. I have never once looked at someone else's paper to attempt to answer test questions. I have my dignity, you know.