Previous   Next

What do you think about McCain’s selection of Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 30, 2008

Browse the archives

“She sounds good to me. I think he’s doing something smart by picking someone who is really pretty different from him politically and also by picking a woman. I think it will be good for his campaign.”

“I think it’s interesting that he picked a woman to run with. Honestly, I don’t know anything about her other than that she’s the governor of Alaska. But it’s certainly not going to change my vote for Obama.”

“Well, it’s an interesting selection. I don’t know anything about Sarah Palin, but I personally don’t think it’s likely to sway many woman voters towards their ticket based solely on her being a female candidate.”

“I think it’s curious and calculated.”

Related story

Comments

dminear60 6 years, 3 months ago

I am not so much concerned with her religious beliefs as much as I am her apparent disregard for the decisions of the Supreme Court. Creationism taught in schools may be less hate filled but it is an attempt to force religion into the classroom.

MandM 6 years, 3 months ago

Personally I think she's a GREAT choice. She has experience in leading a city government and a state goverment. She has experience dealing with Russia and international treaties. Alaska often has to deal with international treaties and Russia due to their location. She has taken a government that was bleeding out financially and turned it around. She has a 90% voter approval rating in Alaska. The Democratic Women for Hillary group is even posting on their website ther support for her. That's huge considering their numbers and the numbers of women Republicans who were on the fence. They now have a candidate to vote for with McCain. She's also the anti-Washington insider. Something you don't get with Obama and Biden. Heck even something you don't get with McCain. She's a regular person and understands the struggles of regular families. She has a son in the military who will be deployed soon. She has a child with a disability. She has a husband who is used to dealing with Unions and yes she knows how to deal with big OIL interests too. She has experience in energy issues.

mrjcg2 6 years, 3 months ago

I heard he Mcain has only met her once or twice, in person.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Well, if you're going to ask ... I'm not really comfortable with either Palin or Obama running the country. The problem is that only one of them is actually running for president.

glcookie06 6 years, 3 months ago

I do beieve, he has chosen Sarah, as a vp to make him feel younger and give him more energy. Let's see if she steps up in Monica's place?? Time will tell.:)

MandM 6 years, 3 months ago

TRA No I'm not candy coating. I'm creating a little balance in the discussion. Look at the numbers nationally on the balance between Democrats and Republicans in the United States http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/party_affiliation/partisan_trendsI'd say this is going to be a very interesting race.

maverick2008 6 years, 3 months ago

McCain, the maverick, made a maverick like decision to pick Palin as VP. We will soon see that being a maverick does not equal the will to effectuate change, but just being different - showing McCain's effort to say "I am no Bush" even if he has agreed with Bush 90% of the time. The choice is whether one can feel "secure" at the end of the day, if the 72 year-old pops, and the 44 year-old takes over.

feeble 6 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Nancy, the issue in the firing of Monegan is abuse of power, not whether the action can be justified:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/08/monegan_to_palin_maam_i_need_t.htmlWe do not need leaders in this country who do not respect the law of the land. If you want a candidate like that, go nominate one of lawrence's finest anarchists.Between the Monegan firing and the Matanuska Maid Dairy issue, Palin has demonstrated an appalling lack of judgment and a predilection for small town crony ism since taking the governors office in 2006. The above, coupled with her ideas for solving this countries energy problems (aggressive off shore drilling, exploration and putting more money into the hands of Big Oil) and her extreme right of center stance on social issues indicate that is is a handout to the conservative base. She axed the Bridge to Nowhere only after it was clear federal funding had dried up, and the state would have to foot the bill. Her challenge against the big oil and Natural Gas Co.s over the natural gas pipeline to the lower 48 is laudable, but poorly executed and has stuck Alaska with a $500 million dollar development tab. My disapproval of Palin has nothing to do with her gender, only her poor business sense and extreme, right of center social issues.

dminear60 6 years, 3 months ago

The democrats can thank McCain for taking the "no experience" argument off the table...Now Obama can debate the real issues and McCain should be worried. For more reasons why Palin is a bad pick, read the following article on this link.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-j-elisberg/the-worst-vice-presidenti_b_122491.html

storm 6 years, 3 months ago

Palin and Pelosi in about three years, me thinks.

JackKats 6 years, 3 months ago

How can people conclude that in-experience as a presidential candidate is better than in-experience at being VP. I believe the VP in-experience is far less a threat than that of Obama's. Would not she also pick someone with experience in area's she lacks should, God forbid, something happen to McCain should he be elected? Would not this be the same situation that we would have with Obama should he get elected? Think through this nomination and project what would happen in four years if McCain gets elected. You would most likely have two women running for president in 2012 because by that time McCain would be too old. This is an interesting twist. I can not prove this to be the case as one reason she was picked as a running mate for McCain but I believe this scenario to be very plausible.

dminear60 6 years, 3 months ago

West_Sider 6 years, 3 months ago

sgtwolverine (Anonymous) says: Just as an ambivalent observer who dislikes politics, I'm kind of confused: why is Palin's lack of experience such an issue for her as VP when Obama's isn't for him as president? As far as I can tell, they're not really that different in that aspect.******Agreed. I guess just being a govenor of a state doesn't really count as experience. Didn't Mr. Stained Blue dress run the state of Arkansas before taking the job in DC? What experience did he have as a DC insider before taking the job?

BigPrune 6 years, 3 months ago

She has MORE experience than Obama. He's only been in the Senate for 143 days (while it's been in session) - I love how the national media keeps playing up her inexperience. Shows their bias BIG TIME.

JohnBrown 6 years, 3 months ago

Palin is McCain's first presidential decision.The United States is in two wars, the old Soviet Union is trying to raise itself back up, only this time as a fascist country wielding energy access as its weapon of choice, Al Qeda has sanctuary and is growing, the Taliban are about to surround Afghanistan's capital, and the person McCain wants a heartbeat away from running this country is a self-described hockey mom.This is a cynical move that has Karl Rove written all over it, and proves that McCain puts politics before country.

allateup 6 years, 3 months ago

Bea.....re-read jayneb's comment and try again!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

Anonymous: "... and when, exactly, did he shoot himself in thefirst foot, tange?"... first "foot?",;-DThe man is a hobbling centipede.

scary_manilow 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't understand peope like Brett Johnston who think Palin is "really pretty different from him politically"... She's anti-choice, pro -Big Oil, and pretty much toes the Bush line every step of the way... hell, she's even mixed up in a political scandal of her own, just to sweeten the deal. Hope the cheesecakers feel special when they vote this ticket in out of spite-- years form now, when they no longer have any rights as women, they can line up to pat each other on the back and console each other by chanting, "We did it for Hilary, we did it for Hilary, we did it for Hilary..."

Lulu 6 years, 3 months ago

I saw the sexist anti-choice ex-beauty queen posed nude when she was young. How will the Christian Taliban react to her now?Obama for change we can believe in.Big Prune is a Big fat lying Pig.

Moonbat 6 years, 3 months ago

I consider myself middle of the road, so I hadn't made up my mind between Obama or McCain. I like the fact that McCain isn't the typical republican. Like most Americans, when he chose Palin as his VP, I had no idea who she was. Then I started hearing she was a reformist and took down the corrupt politicians in Alaska, and I have to admit I was intrigued. Then I heard she advocates the teaching of biblical principles and creationism in public schools! Craziness! So after hearing that tidbit, McCain/Palin will not be getting my vote.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Deb Stavin 6 years, 3 months ago

Check out Gail Collins op ed piece in the NYTimes today. It's a hoot!

kugrad 6 years, 3 months ago

Just a coupld of facts about Ms. Palin for your consideration:1. She was a big supporter of Pat Buchannan when he last ran for President.2. She believes that creationism should be taught in public schools, this despite the fact that this has been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

LiberalDude 6 years, 3 months ago

Picking Palin was also political pandering. He put the attention back on himself and makes a case to try to sway women to vote for him. The sad part is that he didn't pick the best person for the job. This person should be the best and brightest as they might have to take over as President if anything were to happen to him. She is EXTREMELY inexperienced and is ultra conservative- maybe worse than GWB. The worst thing I've heard is that McCain only met her ONCE before choosing her VP.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

Asbestos, Obama has disavowed the views of Wright. Has Palin disavowed her views of creationism? How would those extremist, anti-science views play in her decision making? We know Wright's views won't play in Obama's decision making since, again, he disavowed Wright's views. So yes, we do want to play the religious card, since those of us on the correct side of this argument know that there is such a thing as separation of church and state.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

To those who are imagining Palin's experience on par with Obama's, let's look at the facts. (I admit to being biased in favor of Obama, but look at the facts.)Education Palin: Bachelors in Communication, Univ. of Idaho.Obama: Bachelors in Political Science, Columbia Univ; Law degree, Harvard LawDirect work experience related to degreePalin: television sportscaster in Anchorage, 1987-1989 Obama: president of Harvard Law Review, taught constitutional law at Univ. of Chicago, 1992-2004; worked as city activist and civil rights lawyerPolitical experiencePalin: City council of Wasilla, Alaska, (population 6,500) 1992-1996; mayor of Wasilla, 1996-2002, appointed position to state ethics commission, resigned after one year; governor of Alaska (population 670,000) since 2007.Obama: Illinois state legislator (population 12,830,000); State Senator since 2004.As governor for less than two years, she is currently under investigation for possible abuse of power. Now seriously, is mayor of a town of 6,500 or governor over a state with the population of Austin, Texas (for less than two years) really someone you would be comfortable taking over should something happen to the 72 year old McCain? For those who claim Obama isn't ready, how is Palin justified? Her resume is miniscule in comparison. His entire adult life has been about commitment to public life. We can't say that about Palin. It is a wreckless, dangerous, "maverick" move -- exactly the kind of thinking we don't need in Washington right now. It reminds me of McCain wanting us to attack Iraq even before Bush made such a call. It is the type of thing that will get us into a war with Iran, or God knows where else. It is an odd, calculated, political move that does not put country before party. Obama / Biden! It is the rational choice.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

jayneb, who ever said I side with the brother in law? I don't know him from Adam. However, IF Palin abused her powers to get him fired, guess what that means -- she abused her powers. It wouldn't mean it vindicates his actions, just as cops found guilty of beating a meth-head wouldn't justify the use of meth. If the allegations and investigation prove to be true, what It would show is that shortly after Palin got into a position of power, she took advantage of that powers. That is why it is an investigation into her possible abuse of power, not into whether or not the recipient was guilty of anything. And you point out something I hadn't yet read as we all try to figure out who Palin is, for which I am grateful. Palin, by your account, offered a job to someone she wanted fired. Don't you wonder, what kind of person would offer a drunken abuser of women and children a job of any kind, let alone one to be in charge of the alcohol beverage board? Are you kidding me?!? Would you offer a known drunken abuser of women and children to be the head of anything, let alone the alcohol beverage board? Palin apparently would. Is this really the kind of person who you want as your vice president? That isn't just cronyism, that is irresponsible action and judgment on Palin's part. Thanks for fleshing out the details on that story jayneb.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Nancy, Palin is a first for Republicans, but Democrats first selected a woman as VP back in 1984. That is why Democrats can't get too excited about it being a "first," because it isn't. Maybe for Republicans it is a first, but it comes 24 years after Democrats truly had a "first." It would be like asking baseball fans to get overly excited because the Boston Red Sox hired their first black player a full 21 years after Jackie Robinson signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers. The best you can truly hope for in such a situation is a comment such as, "It's about time."

janeyb 6 years, 3 months ago

Beatrice: Palin removed the Public Safety Commissioner and offered him a different job when he wouldn't fire the drunken State Trooper brother-in-law. Palin wanted the drunken State Trooper fired and all he got was a slap on the wrist. As governer she has the right to do this--the investigation is just a political thing.I tried to put it clear terms for you--as you obviously have a reading disabliltiy. Hope you don't feel bad about your completely idiotic post.

ihatelv 6 years, 3 months ago

"The fact that he passed over people with years of experience in an attempt to sway women voters speaks volumes about McCain's lack of judgment."What? You don't think is is trying to pull Obama supporters?? They obviously are all hyped for someone who has no experience either.....

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

Indeed, Tom, at least us "loons" know who the VP and Speaker are. Well said.

feeble 6 years, 3 months ago

Creationism has a place in schools, just not in the science class room!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

I think it leaves him without another foot to shoot.

janeyb 6 years, 3 months ago

"As governor for less than two years, she is currently under investigation for possible abuse of power."Thank you beatrice for constantly bringing this up. Palin's state trooper brother-in-law beat his wife, tasered his 11-yr-old step-son, drove a hwy patrol car while drunk and threatened his father-in-law. She wanted him fired. He was given a 6-day-suspension. She used her right as governor to remove the Public Safety Commissiner--actually she offered him the job as executive director of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, but he refused. Please Beatrice keep bringing this up. Post pictures of the brother-in-law on your websites. Make him the poster boy for why people shouldn't support Palin--who has an 80+% approval rating in Alaska.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

jayneb: thanks for the clarification. It sure seemed like an odd thing for you to be righting. Perhaps working on your use of pronouns might help get the arguments across in your posts. Glad also to know you are so on top of Alaska politics to be confident that the investigation is all just a political thing. I'd hate to think you are just saying that because she represents your party. I personally don't know, since I know so little about Palin, that I made sure to put the emphasis on "IF" she is guilty of the charges, then it would speak to her use and abuse of power. I would have been more specific on my lack of knowing one way or the other, but I didn't want to condescend to you -- you know, talk down.

Ceee 6 years, 3 months ago

The pick was a political decision made to help the transformation of the McCain campaign from a challenge against Obama's experience to an attempt to co opt Obama's change message. Palin is so weak on foreign affairs that her selection demonstrated John McCain puts John McCain's perceived well being first. So what if the potential leader of the free world hasn't been thinking about Iraq. She's just the Washington outsider McCain needs. McCain's reputation as a statesman is tanking.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

MandM: "TRA... No I'm not candy coating.,;-Dpssst... MandM... that post was the result of an associative disorderfrom which I suffer.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

Hillary was correct. The people running Obama's campaign do hate women. (she didn't actually say that, the quote is "fake but accurate")

janeyb 6 years, 3 months ago

I smell some Sexists in the great Democratic city of Lawrence, KSHas McCain effectively taken the Race Card out of Obama's bag of tricks?

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

sgt, fair enough. Only one of them is running for President, and I'll agree that Obama is not a perfect candidate. Who would be? However, he is a United States Senator with 14 years legislative experience, and is clearly an intelligent individual who graduated from Harvard Law and taught constitutional law for years at the University of Chicago, which has 14,700 students. His outspoken opposition all along to the Iraqi war demonstrates judgment I personally admire, as does his pick of Biden for VP. McCain, however, isn't the greatest choice either. His political experience is two terms in the House and four terms in the Senate. Lots of years in Congress, but not a lot of diversity in terms of responsibilities. He never worked on the state level. Palin would be VP for the oldest incumbent president ever, who, at age 72, has a history with cancer. (Not saying he isn't capable of living to be 100, but the truth of his age and medical history is a concern.) Until 18 months ago, Palin's political career was entirely based on time spent on the city council and as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, population 6,500. Based on judgment for a President, can anyone honestly say that they think McCain made the best decision possible for the good of the country? Or, is this a strange, "maverick" political move that was aimed at snagging former Hillary supporters even if it isn't the best choice he could have made? Is it party over country?The one thing this selection tells me -- more than anything else -- is that America needs a viable third party. If one of the parties totally screws up (I think of this vp selection as such an example), must party loyalists still blindly follow? Shouldn't there be more than one choice? That said, I can't think of any possible third party candidates off the top of my head whom I would prefer over Obama. I believe Obama is a great choice by the Democrats and feel he will make a fantastic President. Will he be able to enact all of the changes he calls for? In a word, no, but I want a president who will at least try to enact those changes he calls for. I am comfortable with Biden as being a heartbeat away from taking over should anything happen to Obama.

Scott Tichenor 6 years, 3 months ago

McCain, running on rhetoric that Obama was too young, too lacking in experience and was nothing more than an empty suit that gave a good speech--that sort of looks awkward now, eh? That didn't work. Let's see, get a woman on the ticket--maybe THAT will get me some votes! One heartbeat away from the presidency held by a guy who's 72, doesn't know the difference between Iraqi factions, can't read from a teleprompter, doesn't know what the internet is and doesn't user a personal computer, and has had four bouts of cancer--yea, that's the America I want to live in.She is, however, smoking hot, gives a great speech :). But, as far as experience, I think Cathy Hamilton who runs a LJW column here has about as much experience. Palin's foreign policy experience consists of the fact she lives closer to Canada and Russia than all other candidates. Good luck to them both.

bkreed1960 6 years, 3 months ago

Not a good choice at all. Palin has virtually little political experience and she would be a heartbeat away from the presidency and with McCain, that is sure closer than I am comfortable with. It makes me wonder about his judgment if he had to choose his staff, etc. if he were elected president.

dminear60 6 years, 3 months ago

kugrad:3. When asked about her credentials, she relied that she is a hockey mom.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 3 months ago

If you want to go into this woman's "religion" you "Obamafanatics" may want to remember his association and close freiendhsip and "spriitual advisment" from Father "the white hater" Phleger, and Rev. "Hate whitey" Wright.Do you really want to play the religion card either?Creationism is a little less "hate filled" thatn the anti white anti American Racisist rhetoric of Father Phleger and Rev. Jerimiah Wright.

Bob Forer 6 years, 3 months ago

While Osama Bin Laden was in the early preparation stages of 9/11, Palin was sitting on the Walisa City Council. And McCain suggets that she is qualified to be Preisdent of the United States. Astonishing!! So what if she was a beauty queen. So what if she hunts. So what if she has a Downs Syndrome Baby., (And in this regard, didn't she know that becoming pregnant at that age increased tremendously the risk of Downs Syndrome. Come on, its not like she was childless.) So what if she was the Mayor of a town of 6,500. With that reasoning, Boob (yes, I wrote Boob) iHighberger is more than ten times more qualified to be President, considering Lawrence is at least ten times the size. And so what if she has 18 months experience as the governor of Alaska. My god, she received less than 100,000 votes. Alaska is irrelevant. It's where losers and criminals go to hide. John McCain. Your choice was shameful Now run away to Alaska and hide.

average 6 years, 3 months ago

A journalism major focusing on sports. Mayor of a town smaller than Eudora (racking up over $20 million in debt). Governor of a state of 600,000 for under 2 years. As the backup for a 72-year-old man who last had surgery for cancer this February (which he hid until he had clinched the nomination). Besides being a constitutional law lecturer, and a civil rights attorney, Obama's state senate district represented over 200,000 people and he crafted laws for a state of 12.5 million. He represented that district for eight years. He has since been an active member of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.I'm hoping McCain asked Condi Rice, Jodi Rell, Linda Lingle, Elizabeth Dole, Kay Hutchison, Susan Collins, Christie Todd Whitman, Susan Schwab, Deborah Price, Kay Granger, and especially Olympia Snowe, before making this decision. Because compared to any of those Republican women, Palin is a ridiculous choice.

LiberalDude 6 years, 3 months ago

BigPrune go back and read Beatrice's original post about the experience comparison. There truly is no comparison. Your 143 days argument is stupid. Obamas been a U.S. Senator for 4 years. There is a lot more to being a Senator than the time spent voting. Meanwhile, has Palin even ever been to Washington D.C.??? I doubt she's ever met any world leaders. Heck, McCain only met her one time.

Bob Forer 6 years, 3 months ago

Papa B said "I think she looks like Tina Fey." Absolutely, and she cackles like her as well. By the way, Tina Fey is returning to host SNL on September 8. I plan to tune in. I am sure Tina will do a great parody of Palin.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 3 months ago

Boy do I hope someone tells her what her job entails beforehand if they get elected.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

"If Biden has achieved such greatness, why isn't he the presidential candidate?"Oh, Biden was running for President back in 1988, but had to drop out because he was plagiarizing the speeches of Neil Kinnock. "Democratic presidential candidate Joseph R. Biden Jr., a U.S. senator from Delaware, was driven from the nomination battle after delivering, without attribution, passages from a speech by British Labor party leader Neil Kinnock. A barrage of subsidiary revelations by the press also contributed to Biden's withdrawal: a serious plagiarism incident involving Biden during his law school years; the senator's boastful exaggerations of his academic record at a New Hampshire campaign event; and the discovery of other quotations in Biden's speeches pilfered from past Democratic politicians."He was outed by people working in the Dukakis campaign.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/biden.htm

ASBESTOS 6 years, 3 months ago

It bears repeating, because all the howling and caterwauling from the Lefty dems on this nomination clearly shows they are so concerned they are using the "politics of destruction" and employing the "political personal attacks" based on nothing other than fear. (Thank you Hillary for those 2 cliches). If they were really not concerned about Palin or thought it really was a bad move, then they should shut up. First rule of politics is do no harm, well it appears as if the dems will brand themselves as "sexists" before acknowledging they are afraid of this appointment:"For such a poor choice as Palin, Dems have sure taken to criticism. Seems to me if she was as bad as they claim we would be hearing them celebrate, rather than grumble."""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'Scotty (the lefty you know) showed his anti woman sexist rant on other threads as he labeled Palin a "Five time baby popper", welfare queen" and something to the effect of a serial breeder. That is the left today, they claim the diversity moral high ground, and then make statment like this. The Dems today do not possess any more "credibility" than Republicans, all politicians lie, except the GOP knows out liars are lying, and the Democratic Party still thinks their ciandidates are telling them the truth.

threemonkies 6 years, 3 months ago

I keep reading, "What if something happens to McCain". Well . . . . what if something doesn't happen to Obama!!

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

Commuter, if you truly believe creationism should be taught as a science alongside evolution, then I have no doubt that you think Palin is a good choice for vice president. God will protect us, right? I would, however, like to see how you think my comments are sexist. Sexist is thinking that women will now vote for McCain just because he selected a woman. If you also think that I believe Obama's time at Harvard in and of itself is reason to vote for him, then perhaps you think McCain's graduating at the bottom 5 of his class is reason enough to vote for him. However, it is a matter of judgment by McCain that points to his reckless nature that most likely would not prove well for our nation. He selected as vp a governor of 1.5 years of a lightly populated state who was also city council member and mayor of a town a tenth the size of Lawrence. That is the sum of her experience. Has she even been to all of the states in the union? McCain does this despite having turned 72 and being the son of a man who died of a heart attack at the age of 70. That is not putting nation first.Obama / Biden!

janeyb 6 years, 3 months ago

"jayneb: thanks for the clarification. It sure seemed like an odd thing for you to be righting. Perhaps working on your use of pronouns might help get the arguments across in your posts."Others were able to understand the post, but I'll recheck my Writing (not righting) from now on. Beatrice, you really should get that dyslexia evaluated."Has Palin disavowed her views of creationism? How would those extremist, anti-science views play in her decision making? We know Wright's views won't play in Obama's decision making since, again, he disavowed Wright's views."I believe it took bad publicity, a falling off in the polls and over 20 years for Obama to disavow Wright. Abortion, prayer in the school, creationism are not Presidential duties. After 8 years of Bush there isn't mandatory prayer in the schools, intelligent design was defeated in court with a conserverative judge presiding, and a conservative Supreme Court won't even look at Roe vs Wade. When it comes to the Supreme Court I would rather see McCain and Pahlin sending a Democrat Congress nominations than the Messiah and Bozo Biden--at least there would be debate and not a rubber stamp approval. All a vice-president has to do is preside as President of the Senate and cast a tie-breaking vote if necessary. Foreign affairs? Isn't that the duties of the Secreatary of State? Please, let us not pretend that Biden Bo-Biden is Henry Kissinger or even Condi Rice for that matter. If Biden has achieved such greatness, why isn't he the presidential candidate? Oh, I remember, noone voted for him.

cowgomoo 6 years, 3 months ago

Folks sure have short memories. It's nothing new to have a minority on the ticket.Republicans not only nominated, but got elected, a Native-American as Vice President, years ago. The novelty's gone. Let's just stick to the issues.Sure is a lot of hating going on in this forum. All the sexism and ageism. If you have over 500 posts, just log off and go do something constructive. Play with your kids, mow your lawn, read a book. Good lord....anything but this.

Jeff Barclay 6 years, 3 months ago

commuter 6 years, 3 months ago

Beatrice- Thanks for your posts. I must vote for Obama now. His time as Harvard Law Editor clearly clinched it for me. He should be Prseident because of that and that experience clearly outweights any mayor or being a governor.Beatrice thanks for your sexist remarks. My daughter is clearly understanding why women put other women down. Envy. Thanks for another life lesson from Lawrence.As for Creationism. For me, I can't see why Eveloution and Creationism can't be taught side by side. Can anyone actually prove to be how long is one of Gods days? Only the dead who are in heaven know.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 3 months ago

OK, so who is a Democratic heart beat away from the Vice Presidency? Or have we considered that? Could be the sitting Speaker of the House. Now that could be interesting!

scott3460 6 years, 3 months ago

"a successful two-term U.S. president. Palin's resume could easily be compared to Ronald Reagan's."Can we expect a recession as deep as 1982-84 from Gramps and the Runner Up? Will they be engaged in illegal arms trading and other contraventions of US law?

gccs14r 6 years, 3 months ago

I've said it elsewhere and I'll repeat it here; McCain knows he's not getting elected, so the GOP figured out whose political career could be ended early with the least collateral damage and picked Palin for veep.

zbarf 6 years, 3 months ago

Question? Who out of the 4 has executive experience?Answer? Palin is the only one!Being a Governor is the most like being a president...and she is the only one with that experience.I love the squirm going on...people are really scared because their wicked little liberal world is falling apart (winning in Iraq, economy rebound, loosing the culture war, and to top it off, an ars woopin in the white house)

bisky1 6 years, 3 months ago

looks like she will win the genitalia vote

jaywalker 6 years, 3 months ago

"Has she even been to all of the states in the union?""McCain does this despite having turned 72 and being the son of a man who died of a heart attack at the age of 70. "The above was from beatrice, though I can understand people's confusion in believing some parrot had gotten hold of a computer voice box. I had a parakeet once. He wasn't really bright either, but he could repeat rehearsed lines over and over and over again too. Beatrice want a cracker?

scott3460 6 years, 3 months ago

From the NRA Hunter's Code of Ethics:"I will do my best to acquire those marksmanship and hunting skills, which insure clean, sportsmanlike kills.I will support conservation efforts, which can assure good hunting for the future generations of Americans."Does chasing wolves down by plane constitute "sportsmanlike" kills? Is that hunting, or just inhumane slaughter? Does chasing around in a plane until a pack of wolves is spotted, chasing them until they are exhausted and then shooting all or several support conservation efforts?

scott3460 6 years, 3 months ago

"because all the howling and caterwauling from the Lefty dems on this nomination clearly shows they are so concerned ..."That's right Asbestos, we are concerned because we, apparently unlike John McCain, love our country and are appalled at seeing him turn the race to control the White House in to a bad American Idol episode. Bad enough that you folks nominated a war criminal who is such a disagreeable hot-head that many of his Senate collegues cannot stand him, and bad enough that he has disavowed every bit of so-called "maverick" tendencies and slavishly set aside his beliefs in order to parrot what the worst elements of your party dictate, but a creationist? a pro-life theocrat? someone under investigation for lying during an ethics investigation? A village mayor? This is who you propose as qualifed to sit a heartbeat away from the oldest President in our Nation's history?Sorry, such a pick is getting exactly the respect it deserves. McCain would be wise to pull the plug on this fumble and make a grown up selection.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 3 months ago

"Does chasing around in a plane until a pack of wolves is spotted, chasing them until they are exhausted and then shooting all or several support conservation efforts?"They are called "culls" and any conservation officer knows this. The reason we "cull" certian populations is that either sickness has infiltrated the group and we need to end the transmission as has happened to deer in the upper midwest. or because the population is to large to be supported by the environment they are in.Many Americans and Many Conservation Officers and Many Environmental Scientists and Many Biologists have particpated in "culls" and it is not the nicest thing on the surface, but necessary.Only superficial political gasbags like you would not understand the dynamics and actual scientific principals involved. You immediates use it for "political fodder".Wasn't it you that was so concerned about a "religion" being used to made decisions? The same could be said for the Human Produced Global Warming ASL BOre gurus, and the anti gun anti hunting religion of the peacenicks.If it was a Cull then it was based on good solid scientific knowledge, and not eht unsupported and unbalanced opinion of a political gasbag!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

"I am not so much concerned with her religious beliefs as much as I am her apparent disregard for the decisions of the Supreme Court."Do you worship the government? If the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, would you just "agree" all of the sudden? If the Supreme Court made Hinduism our national religion, would you convert? A certain amount of disregard for the decisions of our leaders is what keeps us healthy and free.It also seems that the V.P. candidate is a lose-lose situation, no matter what:"experience" = "insider" = bad"maverick" = "inexperience" = badSo, for you "Palin hasn't the experience" types, I have a question: Who could McCain have nominated who would have the experience you require while still retaining "maverick, not insider" status?Remember your history: The president that brought down the Berlin wall was and actor who became 1) president of the Screen Actor's Guild, then 2) a state Governor, and finally 3) a successful two-term U.S. president. Palin's resume could easily be compared to Ronald Reagan's.