Previous   Next

Would you be willing to pay $20 for tailgate-friendly parking at KU football games?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 28, 2008

Browse the archives

“I don’t think I would pay, considering it was free before. I’d rather just party at someone else’s house before the game.”

“Probably. I think it will still fill up really quickly, but if I could get a spot I probably would.”

“I’d probably rather save my $20.”

“Yeah. It’s pretty ridiculous trying to find parking. We usually just try to find a friend who lives nearby and walk to the game.”

Related story

Comments

JayhawkAlum03 5 years, 7 months ago

I'd be much more likely to pay $20 if the lot was actually adjacent to the stadium. I will not pay $20 to park in lot 90, which is 3/4 mile away. I wonder how many people will park in the lots just north of Allen Fieldhouse or east of lot 90 or in the nearby neighborhoods for free and tailgate there and simply walk over to the free shuttle. Everyone has tailgated in all of these lots in other years even when not "allowed" by the university for a fee.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

canusayduh.. It has absolutely nothing to do with KU. It is just a means for all these whiners to whine and act like they are some kind of cosmopolitan types at the same time. They ain't going to the game anyway, and never were. They like to complain about everything. Most don't have the money to go anyway because they don't actually work. That's why they have time to complain about everything.

canusayduh 5 years, 7 months ago

What does a Michigan or Notre Dame game have to do with the article? Did I miss that part?

JJE007 5 years, 7 months ago

I'd pay $20. No problem. I wouldn't buy a ticket to the game, though.Oh, yeah. They'd have to let me sell food and illegal t-shirts!~)

penguin 5 years, 7 months ago

I would rather pay KU for parking then most of the students that live in the area. After living in that area for years and having people in other parts of the house on Miss or other Apts on Illinois attempt to sell stalls in my lot...without asking any of the other residents...I am not too fond of paying those people for parking.Although I did always get to have fun watching them explain to the people who had paid to park in our lot upon return...why their car had been towed. Personally, I prefer walking to the game and then meeting up with others in the area for my pre-game activities.

Fred Vance 5 years, 7 months ago

KU... Kan U spend more dollars for almost anything? I think KU will eventually be charging to watch the grass grow. It's sad that college sports has become big business. And KU also must figure out how to pay for Uncle Lew's $600,000+ salary.

staff04 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm with easilyamused. Instead of asking everyone to bring a sixer, you ask everyone to bring a sixer AND $2. No big deal.

Meatwad 5 years, 7 months ago

Some sort of fee is certainly reasonable to help cover costs of the shuttle and parking lot operation. $20 seems excessive. $5 or $10 seems like it would be more reasonable and would attract more people.

Tbird1 5 years, 7 months ago

Michigan tickets are easy to come by. So are Notre Dame! The Notre Dame/Michigan State Game is always fun. No, i dont pay for parking in South Bend or Ann Arbor. Why would I pay in Lawrence?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 7 months ago

Easy_Does_It: for most of the games, it's not too hard to find a reasonably-priced ticket on the street; I typically get in for $25-$35 for most games. The bigger games (typically Ohio State, and Notre Dame when they weren't terrible) can be either more expensive or pretty much impossible to get into (one ND game a few years ago, I found only two people selling tickets on the street, and they both wanted $125), but for most games it's a big enough stadium that it's not too hard to find reasonable tickets outside the stadium on gameday.As far as buying tickets from the university ... well, I've never done that, so I'm not sure. The biggest games are always sold out quickly, and face value is high enough that you can almost always get in cheaper buying on the street for the rest of the games.Just an FYI: the stadium is currently being renovated to include luxury boxes. For over 75 years, the only structure rising above the seats was the press box; now there will be massive structures looming over most of the stadium (like most other stadiums these days). The basic steel frames are already up, but it's going to take another couple years for them to finish the full construction. So if you come to a game this year or next, you'll get an idea of what the stadium has always been (but with unfinished luxury boxes); if you come after that, you'll see basically a whole new stadium.

EasilyAmused 5 years, 7 months ago

Twenty dollars isn't bad when you consider that you meet at a lot on West Campus, you load coolers, chairs and everyone into a pickup and you ride down to the stadium to tailgate (or some people can use the free shuttle to get to the tailgate). $20 for a parking lot living room, dining room and kitchen for a large group of friends for a day. Everyone pitches in and its barely noticeable.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

"I would pay for nice parking by the stadium without having to pay a clever capitalist to park in his backyard while they slam beers and party with people outside the stadium."Have you been to the sactioned parking since they allowed booze? It isn't much different although perhaps on average it trends to be an older crowd and not quite as rowdy. But, slamming beers is prevelent. However, if the University can get Oompa Loompas to direct parking, all bets are off. Those guys can party and carry a tune.

BABBOY 5 years, 7 months ago

Given the current parking situation, I would pay for nice parking by the stadium without having to pay a clever capitalist to park in his backyard while they slam beers and party with people outside the stadium. But, 20 dollars seems high in that I assume that is for each game and is kind of a slap in the face for season ticket holders at least in that they should be given a parking pass for like $75 or something for all the home games. But, Lew Perkins doe not think that way and will probably now charge $25 in that appears to be the going rate from the above ......Willie Wonka would demand payment in cacao beans and have those Oompa-Loompas guys direct the parking. I am sure it would be very efficient!!!

spacehog 5 years, 7 months ago

Steal a little and they throw you in jail, Steal a lot and they make you King.-Bob Dylan

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

What would Willie Wonka Do?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

Ceallach -How about Klondike Bars wrapped in gold foil?

Ceallach 5 years, 7 months ago

It is obvious that many of today's posters fail to realize and/or appreciate the greatness of KU. Bars of Klondike do not constitute an appropriate sacrifice; one must bring bars of gold.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

I won't even put a dime in a meter downtown.

vavs0929 5 years, 7 months ago

its pretty ridiculous to have to pay $20 to tailgait when you've already paid for the tickets. Parking is such an issue at the games anyway. Its annoying to me that fan cant even enjoy simple tailgating at KU like every other school... now we have to pay for it?

toe 5 years, 7 months ago

I would gladly accept $40.00 to sell my spot.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 7 months ago

Sgt. - how easy is it to pick up tickets for Michigan home games? It's on my list of to do's. (in dollars not Klondike bars)

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

I park off Alabama for $20 generally. I'd rather give my money to that guy than Lew. Things like $85 KSU tickets make decisions like that easy.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Would they take a Klondike Bar?

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

Doesnt' matter to me. The one game I get to go to, I'll party at my bro in laws and walk over. The rest of the games, there will be tailgating on my deck or in my living room. All crimson and blue welcome..PS, purple is not allowed at my house..

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 7 months ago

We don't care if you don't want to pay $20, we are going to charge you $25 if you plan to park close to the stadium. So consider KU's parking cheap.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

If I wanted to tailgate I probably would, but I doubt that I would want to tailgate. So, I'd probably park elsewhere.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't even pay for parking at Michigan games unless I absolutely positively have to, and even then I try to keep it under $20 (the good parking is anywhere from $30 to $50 now). So no, probably not.