Previous   Next

What is your favorite stringed instrument to listen to?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 23, 2008

Browse the archives

“The violin. I think it’s really emotionally affecting, and I like it as the fiddle in bluegrass music.”

“The violin or guitar. They both have a wide range of notes and can be enjoyed when played alone.”

“I like the sitar. It’s a very different sound because they’re playing more notes at the same time. It’s unlike anything else.”

“I played the violin, so I’m kind of biased toward it, but I think the cello might be better to listen to all by itself.”

Related story

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

MD: tang:hehe..did you notice her harp is out of tune?Well, it's pretty clear she's no Jimmy Page.( No one could play harp like Jimmy. )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeah... but how do the insectoids weigh in on this question?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

JJ: "This is the ONE:"Oh, I sooooooo concur... but, picking up the pace...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNknt...( All this guy lacks is the insectoid sunglasses. )

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Gotta go with the guitar, of course, though I Am partial to the cello when I want to relax.

Crossfire 6 years, 4 months ago

The String Bikini.You must listen very closely.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Upright bass. Although a morally questionable bass isn't bad, either.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

Py could you check that concluding verb for me, two posts up?

acoupstick 6 years, 4 months ago

An acoustic guitar in the hands of someone like Don Ross or Michael Hedges. A resonator in the hands of Son House or Blind Boy Fuller.How about an ondes Martenot?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

MD: "a bit picky about what I enjoy hearing on them.... I'd very much love to own a harp."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdaZfYIJTU,;-)

dajudge 6 years, 4 months ago

Harp. It plays a wide range of notes and can be enjoyed when playing alone.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

string bean. seriously, Frank Zappa's guitar. **last night at 7th and mass some loser was "playing" a banjo...playing the same notes over and over and over! sounded like the hard drive between his ears had hit a read error.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

(Kathy Getto) says:Cellooh yes, Cello, with whipped cream and fruit. C-E-L-L-O! and hey, Bill Cosby said their pudding's good too!

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

Geeez !! this is a hard one to answer. I love all stringed instruments, I guess if pressed I would have to say harp, all kinds of harp. My favourite music is Celtic and harp features a lot in Celtic as does fiddle.

aeroscout17 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow, I don't think I can pick a favorite...too many. Along with the aforementioned instruments I would have to add Dobro guitar and Mandolin.