Previous   Next

What kind of street performances do you enjoy?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 22, 2008

Browse the archives

“The only ones I’ve really seen are musicians, but I enjoy those quite a bit. It’s a very real experience listening to them play more for the enjoyment of it and not to make any set amount of money.”

“Fire eating is pretty cool. It seems risky, and it’s something I’d never be able to do.”

“The living statues. They are excellent, and I have good memories of seeing them in tourist destinations like Las Vegas and Disneyland, even Paris.”

“I like musicians. I always appreciate someone who tries hard playing an instrument on the street. I’m also a big fan of break dancing.”

Related story

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

A spontaneous, uncontrived wave among patrons, originating at the river and rippling southward to the park.

couranna1 5 years, 8 months ago

anyone who does not beg for money as they "perform" [that sheet dude is a trip]

cds 5 years, 8 months ago

I always enjoy Joe's "street performances" when he urinates in the road, especially at 9th and New Hampshire, and that one guy (Simon?) who walks in the middle of the road with a sheet wrapped around him.

spacehog 5 years, 8 months ago

I remember the homeless sex-in-the-street story a few years ago. I think it took place in the middle of 10th and Kentucky. Now, that's entertainment. Hell, I would have paid to watch that, maybe even participate.

thebcman 5 years, 8 months ago

Do they hand out the cheap sunglasses to everyone that agrees to answer a question?...LJW Reporter : "Hi! Would you like to answer a question for the paper?"Street dude/dudette : "Get lost, loser"LJW Reporter : "No, Wait, I've got these .79 cent sunglasses you can have for FREE!"Street dude/dudette : "O.K. .. I don't have to use my brain do I ?"

slappedyomomma 5 years, 8 months ago

i prefer riots and good old fashioned gang beatings. an occasional "donkey show" is entertaining as well.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 8 months ago

Bobdon't get me started about meatheads...

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Stuck -I'm with you. I was just playing around with the back to school crowd. I could have said Frat dudes, hipsters, meatheads, townies, Topekans... I just guess I was feeling sexist this morning.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 8 months ago

not necessarily standing up for sorority girls' driving ability... because I really don't know anything about that...on the other hand... my wife and I have been run into four times over the past 25 years... in all cases the other driver was ticketed for either failure to yield right-of-way or reckless driving... and in all 4 cases the drivers were middle aged townies...go figure...and... it just so happens that they all probably would have fit into that "straits" category that I mentioned earlier...they are a trip to watch:

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

"..., she gave it some gas and left about a 2 ft gouge along the side of her vehicle."Daddy will fix it!

janeyb 5 years, 8 months ago

The ones on the other side of the street.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

I guess my fav is when the grandchildren stand in the middle of my living room and try to lie their way out of the latest mess up with grandma..and they lie just the same way there mothers did..that was quite entertaining too.

Write2Know 5 years, 8 months ago

Original_Bob:I saw one earlier this week. Sorority girl was making a u-turn at the parking control both on the south side of campus. She must not have realized that one needs a permit to drive onto campus. Anyway she cut the u-turn too sharp and crunched the side of her SUV right into the concrete barrier. Inside of stopping and backing up, she gave it some gas and left about a 2 ft gouge along the side of her vehicle.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Would a wet t-shirt contest be considered a performance?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe nobody's mentioned possum juggling.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

Bob, I have thought Fabio's good looking brother was coming out of the brewery until I looked in La Prima Tazza window's and saw the reflection of Elmer Fudd.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

"Bob. is that before or after she puts on her Free State Brewery beer goggles?"After. And after a couple shots and in the dark.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 8 months ago

by the way...I tried tipping one of those "straits" once... he screamed and ran away yelling for the cops...really great fun...

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 8 months ago

and... I like belly dancers...are there going to be any belly dancers amongst these buskers?

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 8 months ago

"the straits"... as they freak out about anyone and anything that isn't just so...it cracks me up...and brings true joy to my heart...the jaw drops: the shudders: the "oh my"s: and "oh, dear me"s:funny stuff:great fun:

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

Bob. is that before or after she puts on her Free State Brewery beer goggles?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Bombshell -My wife wears them as well. I give her a hard time about it in a joking way. I figure it is a good trade off because she is constantly giving me crap about my amazing good looks.

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

I like to watch the plate spinners, you know the ones spinning up on a stick and feats of gluttony along with consumption of mass quantities of beer.

bombshell 5 years, 8 months ago

Original_Bob: Unfortunately, I too have succumbed to the insectoid sunglass regime... but a girl's gotta have some Jackie O Stunna Shades... right?

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

A lover's quarrel where one of them picks up a medium-sized rock and chases the other one around a parking lot while a crowd gathers.

Ramsfield 5 years, 8 months ago

militant (Anonymous) says: I've always been a sucker for public executions.____LOL! Great Family Fun!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Bombshell -Yes! That sounds like a gold medal manuever. Was she wearing insectoid sunglassess? I believe that is now part of the standard uniform.

bombshell 5 years, 8 months ago

Original_Bob:I just witnessed one of those last night - only it was a "I have a good idea! I'll back up in my lane for 6 car lengths on Mass St. to go ahead and grab that parking spot I missed..." (Understand that this is the first parking spot from the corner) It doesn't matter that some guy is trying to make a left onto Mass with the use of his green light and yet has to back up back into the intersection to let your cute little blonde self grab that space. I literally stood on Mass & watched the action with a smile on my face, thinking "Wow. Classic." While the guy trying to turn, forced into a backwards turn was probably thinking "Man, I hope I can get this girl's number! She's obviously a catch!"

75x55 5 years, 8 months ago

"Synchronized Sorority Vehicle Driving"Ah, geez - no kidding. It's like a giant sized bumper car game, that's usually being simulcast to some other contestant's cell phone.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Very public and physical marital breakups. Especially when they start throwing the china at each other.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Street perfomances? This time of year I enjoy watching Synchronized Sorority Vehicle Driving. Will she hit that fire hydrant? Will she hit that parked car? Why is she driving the wrong way on a one way street? Can she straddle both lanes on Tennessee for five blocks? Who knows? Sit back and enjoy. Wear your seatbelt!

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 8 months ago

I like street musicians that actually have talent; not some hack sitting on the sidewalk shaking a couple of maracas.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

The LPD vs. homeless battles.Also, watching people fall for the old "homeless" trick, and fork over money.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

hah, sgt-my thoughts exactly! luvvin' the shades! street performances i enjoy? hmmm...the dance of avoiding the steaming piles of doggy-doo on the sidewalk. can be very entertaining.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

Before or after I have been to the Free State Brewery?The returning students on a Mass St. run. You start at one end of Mass and stop for a drink at every bar.

BrianR 5 years, 8 months ago

When people use their turn signals correctly.

svengalli 5 years, 8 months ago

I go with Harley or Militant. Sex or Death.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

It must have been a sunny day.Anyway, being from near Detroit, I enjoy reenactments of great street crimes. Wait ... you mean those aren't reenactments?

macon47 5 years, 8 months ago

the blind girl that shakes her maracas on the 800 blk of mass every day

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Xtreme mime cage matches. Two mimes enter, one mime leaves!

dotteboy 5 years, 8 months ago

The ones that ask me if I would like a date, snake charmers and sword swallowers.

militant 5 years, 8 months ago

I've always been a sucker for public executions.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

I like the ones that eat hot dogs with mustard over their lips as they do it and the girls in tight shorts.