Previous   Next

What is your favorite KU tradition?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“I would say walking down the hill on graduation day. All of my friends who have graduated said it was a memorable experience. I haven’t had my chance yet, but I’m looking forward to it.”

“I liked how they gave the students the day off after we won the National Championship. I’m hoping I get to participate in that tradition while I’m there.”

“Going to the KU basketball games and waving the wheat.”

“I’m going to say the Rock Chalk Chant. It has a very haunting and striking sound to it. And it’s been carried on for so many years, there are a great number of honorable and noteworthy people who have said that chant.”

Related story

Comments

John Spencer 5 years, 8 months ago

This seems to be less about tradition and more about the best places to get ripped.How about dime draws at the Sanctuary. Drink and drown at Louises West and waving signs at feshman girls from gsp/corbin as they walked to class past The Crossing. The signs were like 9.9, 6.6, bark for a beer, etc oh the good old days.

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

late night, one class meeting at the brewery downtown for several weeks for discussions. parking tickets. sliding down the hills in the snow. discovering floating rocks and losing 20 and a 6pack because i thought they were too stoned and no way rocks float.

clyde_never_barks 5 years, 8 months ago

Sunday all you can eat tacos and $1 wells at Dos HombresMonday Cheeseburger and mug of beer - $2.50 at Johnny'sTuesday - Old Mill Light at Louise's DowntownWednesday - Bench WarmersThursday 0.25 draws at the HawkFriday beer garden at the Wheel, then to Johnny'sSaturday - breakfast at the wheel, game, then JazzhausRepeat...

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

Winter traditions--sliding down the snowy Campanile Hill on cafeteria trays; watching "the big boys" going down snowpacked 13th St. on a ladder. Final week at the end of May when you became more euphoric after each final, regardless of how well or poorly you think you did. That is the essence of late spring in Kansas.

metta 5 years, 8 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says:Wake and bake. Goodness, I miss college sometimes.LOLit's always better to be baked than fried !

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

Waving the wheat during KU football games at Memorial Stadium, especially against Mizzou.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Hand down, the Rock Chalk Chant..the fight song..and alma mater.My friend pulling out the bong, upstairs at the old Opera House..and sharing a tip with our waiteress. Oh my, the good old days.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 8 months ago

NOT having to sneak kegs into the schol hall because 18 was the drinking age, Chi-O Wheat Meet, Barrel Night at the Hawk, the Chant, the Sunflower Song and eagerly awaiting a 12-trombone pileup, Howard Hill's smooth baritone ("...and now, The Crimson and The Blue, followed by the famous Rock Chalk Chant..."), pulling cards at the Field House, Max calling Oklahoma State "the Aggies," getting excited about seeing the game day flag, Kelly Hunt and The Kinetics at the Off-the-Wall Hall, midnight movies at the Union, drink-and-drown at The Pladium or Gammon's, UDK smudge all over your hands, Clark Bricker and taking a date to Vespers at Hoch.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

Yellow SubHole-in -the-wallJoe's Mad Hatter

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Standing in line at Joe's bakery at 2:00 a.m. after a midnight movie on campus.... Ahhh..the delicious scent on the air and the anticipation as the line inched slowly forward... The best traditions are the ones you get to smugly hold over your kids' heads because they are missing out on them. (Have to grab anything good about being OLD that you can!)

nobody1793 5 years, 8 months ago

My favorite tradition is opening the paper every saturday to read an editorial about how much KU sucks.

dminear60 5 years, 8 months ago

Walking down the Hill for graduation, the pre-game rituals at the football and basketball games, and waving the wheat when we score or win the game.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

I was more of a non-traditional student.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 8 months ago

Sneaking a full keg into the Scholarship Halls...

conservativepunker 5 years, 8 months ago

Stumbling drunken through the alleys downtown.......

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Wake and bake. Goodness, I miss college sometimes.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 8 months ago

Certainly the "rock chalk" chant, or as dad calls it, "that death chant!"

spacehog 5 years, 8 months ago

Skipping class to go get drunk at the Wheel and rubbing against women, a fetish known as frottage.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

My favorite KU tradition was always having to try to walk up the hill in 6" of snow or 2" of ice because the buses weren't running but classes weren't cancelled.Seriously, though, both the singing of the alma mater and the Rock Chalk Chant are pretty cool. Gave me chills on more than one occasion.

H_Lecter 5 years, 8 months ago

Trying to get the Campanile bell to ring after a worthy sacrifice.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

multiD: Perhaps. . . they might be giving out the PG-rated traditions since their faces and names are right next to the responses. Some mom somewhere'd be saying: "Hey it's my Allyson, I wonder what she's been doing? Streaking!?

"

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Streakin' from the Sanctuary....these kids don't know what fun they're missin'.