Previous   Next

Have you ever been to a historical re-enactment?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 18, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have. There was an actor in Ottawa who did a re-creation of Annie Oakley. I’m kind of a local history fan, so I like going to historical sites and that sort of thing.”

“No, I haven’t. I’d rather read about it in a book or watch a documentary.”

“Yeah. They had a Civil War re-enactment and encampment in the town I grew up in. It was a fictional battle where one side would win one day and the other side would win the next.”

“No. I avoid them at all costs. It’s not my cup of tea.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

No, but I sometimes reenact the Battle of Trafalgar in my bathtub with lots of little ships and a bottle of rum to honor Admiral Nelson.

nobody1793 5 years, 11 months ago

"Yeah. They had a Civil War re-enactment and encampment in the town I grew up in. It was a fictional battle where one side would win one day and the other side would win the next."What? If it is fictional, it is not a reenactment. It's just a bunch of tools running around playing guns.

billbodiggens 5 years, 11 months ago

It's my understanding that Justice Nuss of the Kansas Supreme Court is a re-inactor who once showed up at a conference of judges wearing buckskin and waving a real musket and Bowie knife. Go figure.

Topside 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow looks like Julie Brown was downtown. Har. Har.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

I go to my local community fair's demolition derby, and I'm pretty sure that's a re-enactment of any given day of driving on the interstate.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

CC: "I will send you my perspective in my collected poems."I, for one, will be looking forward to them... Time Travelers as we are.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 11 months ago

"If it is fictional, it is not a reenactment. It's just a bunch of tools running around playing guns."I would argue that this would be the case regardless of whether the underlying battle is fictional or not.I once saw the Batley's Townwomen's Guild reenact the Battle of Pearl Harbor.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

Yours is indeed a unique vantage point in the cosmos, ChristmasCarol.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

"Have you ever been to a historical re-enactment?"Hmm... I forget.So, I guess the answer is "yes."

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

"It is like history is a required taste."Hah, you're probably still on the watered-down American history, too. Wait until you get into German or Irish history, that's another required taste entirely.Py: Think I've found the portrait, quite nice. Unfortunately, I have yet to own a tricorn hat. Looks like you can get one for 20 bucks or so on Ebay, though.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

"Did you graduate LHS?"No, out-of-towner, assimilated ( ... resistance was futile ) .Spent too many years in college here, went away, came back....Wish that local, early 80's music scene would be reenacted... nightly.[ sigh ]

Aisling 5 years, 11 months ago

It is like history is a required taste.ChristmasCarol, did you mean an acquired taste? Although both are perhaps appropriate.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

MD: "Let's all go recreate 5/$1 tacos at Taco Grande."Oh, Multi, I had forgotten.... MD: "Or JAWS at Sunset Drive Inn."3-D?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

Py: "Instead of history, ChristmasCarol must've studied mid-20th-century literature. Stream-of-consciousness gonzo drugged & drunk out-of-your-gourd writing, to be exact."CC: "Actually I take my history with a bit more reasoning than that cute blonde that sticks her hand in the Dinosaur poop in "Jurassic Park" Whoa... Py... and anti-Py...I say we get these two into a room together and see if mutual annihilation results.

LooPerkinsucks 5 years, 11 months ago

I like to go to the bars every weekend, get smashed and take home a fat chick or two. Is that considered a reenactment?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

MD: "Gammon's? ... Ichabod's"Only cameo appearances at each... memorable, though.