Previous   Next

Have you ever been to a historical re-enactment?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 18, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have. There was an actor in Ottawa who did a re-creation of Annie Oakley. I’m kind of a local history fan, so I like going to historical sites and that sort of thing.”

“No, I haven’t. I’d rather read about it in a book or watch a documentary.”

“Yeah. They had a Civil War re-enactment and encampment in the town I grew up in. It was a fictional battle where one side would win one day and the other side would win the next.”

“No. I avoid them at all costs. It’s not my cup of tea.”

Related story

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

CC: "I will send you my perspective in my collected poems."I, for one, will be looking forward to them... Time Travelers as we are.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

After I take off all my required hemp wraps and beads and put up my glowing nuclear toe nail polish and throw away the 2 oz. container and then mooch to get the money to eat at McDonald's to call myself an environmental activist... I will send you my perspective in my collected poems. When I am not too busy researching what happened in Pittsburg Kansas in 1994-1995 and 1988-1989 and the Southern Badtaste Church. I think I will stop a moment on my way back in Lawrence and reminse about the days in the Sunflower House.Can't wait to have another Casino in the state can you? Aren't you going to do something. Kosmos is a word I have studied since I heard of Russians in second grade. I sure am glad I ever stopped off in the Universe to land in your town. I think I will find my way back to my spaceship since Scotty won't beam me up.Heard a good joke? I heard the final frontier was space. I was wondering when we are going to discover all that life we have killed in the oceans under layers of crude oil. Let's go to war, everybody wants to be on top.Oh, pardon me. I thought... let me tie my shoe and lick my orange sherbet...Let me explain... Figure it out yourselves and time marches on traveling through it the way we are moment to moment I arrived here after you did and the realization came to you afterward. Time Travelers as we are. I can't wait for our laughable generation to become history. I hope I am listed as before my time.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

MD: "Gammon's? ... Ichabod's"Only cameo appearances at each... memorable, though.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Gammon's?Big frozen drinks with enough slabs of fruit to make a meal?--Ichabod's, with enough peanut shells to make one's carpet upon returning home, feel like concrete.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Yours is indeed a unique vantage point in the cosmos, ChristmasCarol.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

Boom... I say we do it. Let's round 'em all up on the Rez and let off that blast from area 51.I care not for your hysterical banter about history... blah blah wah wah.I found my personal history with somebody else's gun in Pittsburg Kansas where I found my portrait.Gonzo is the tip of the iceberg. Come on over to Olathe on Poplar street here and tell me all about it Swamp Thing. Can't wait to see your linguistic banter of the history of the Unicorn and other fabled animals you create. While we are all on a tangent. In your town, your history is a required taste.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

"Did you graduate LHS?"No, out-of-towner, assimilated ( ... resistance was futile ) .Spent too many years in college here, went away, came back....Wish that local, early 80's music scene would be reenacted... nightly.[ sigh ]

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

I actually saw it first at the indoor, can't remember which one. I was wearing cutoffs and while watching, the ac made it cold under the chairs and watching the water scenes, I ended up drawing my legs up into the chair and sitting on them. When the movie got intense, my boyfriend said "OWW"...I had grabbed hold of his jeans by the knee and twisted my fingers into them when the scary parts came on!Did you graduate LHS?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

MD: "Let's all go recreate 5/$1 tacos at Taco Grande."Oh, Multi, I had forgotten.... MD: "Or JAWS at Sunset Drive Inn."3-D?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Let's all go recreate 5/$1 tacos at Taco Grande.Or JAWS at Sunset Drive Inn.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Py: "Instead of history, ChristmasCarol must've studied mid-20th-century literature. Stream-of-consciousness gonzo drugged & drunk out-of-your-gourd writing, to be exact."CC: "Actually I take my history with a bit more reasoning than that cute blonde that sticks her hand in the Dinosaur poop in "Jurassic Park" Whoa... Py... and anti-Py...I say we get these two into a room together and see if mutual annihilation results.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

"Have you ever been to a historical re-enactment?"Hmm... I forget.So, I guess the answer is "yes."

drugcompton 5 years, 8 months ago

sven and marion "sword fight" and by that i mean they rub wienersthey have been reenacting this since first grade

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

Actually Jonas, if you are still there.There was an article a week or so ago I have been writing about since. It was the collapse of the arch in Arches National Park. I like to think of history in a different light as well.As far as Wars go, is with the fascination of most people these days. History is according to whose account you are listening to. I do like to seek out other accounts but as with American History I am rather bored. So stats here and stats there. I think history lessons come with more of a ... this happened in 1865 and this happened in 1910 and this happened in 1933... blah blah blah....So as far as if you look more at cause effect than at just the days of the events... leading up to the end of the civil war (everyones fascination) the end of the monetary means in Texas, Mexico, and the confederacy were tied to the seven years war and the European nations....So "Remember the Alamo". Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!Actually I take my history with a bit more reasoning than that cute blonde that sticks her hand in the Dinosaur poop in "Jurassic Park"Maybe I go a bit further back than "10,000 B.C." but that is the way I see it and I care for. At least I don't succumb to the trends of the times like most people like the people that "inform" themselves as with of all things "Big Brother" talk about re-writing history for the microfiche. I can't wait to see my next dictionary that has a picture of a laptop computer under the term Notebook.How about the history of words across countries?

hitme 5 years, 8 months ago

Agnostick,That was too funny!

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Ag~ thanks for that laugh! Jonas~ You must get your tricorn hat. It's all about the accessories.Instead of history, ChristmasCarol must've studied mid-20th-century literature. Stream-of-consciousness gonzo drugged & drunk out-of-your-gourd writing, to be exact.I'd go to a historical reenactment of an Incan human sacrifice ceremony--if I could help pick the honoree to throw into the volcano.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

At this age, any sex is a sexual reenactment.BTW.. seemed there were 10,000 cars on 23rd street at 3:30 ish.

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

LooPerkinsucks (Anonymous) says:"I like to go to the bars every weekend, get smashed and take home a fat chick or two. Is that considered a reenactment?"___________What the hell kinda re-enactment is that?!?Oh wait, I get it... that's the Clinton presidency...--Ag

LooPerkinsucks 5 years, 8 months ago

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't know how "historical" this is, but a few years back, I sat through Hal Holbrook's one-man show, "Mark Twain Tonight," that he's been doing for about 50 years.Magical!Agnostickagnostick@excite.comhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twa...

Aisling 5 years, 8 months ago

It is like history is a required taste.ChristmasCarol, did you mean an acquired taste? Although both are perhaps appropriate.

hitme 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, I've read Bill Mayer's columns.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

"It is like history is a required taste."Hah, you're probably still on the watered-down American history, too. Wait until you get into German or Irish history, that's another required taste entirely.Py: Think I've found the portrait, quite nice. Unfortunately, I have yet to own a tricorn hat. Looks like you can get one for 20 bucks or so on Ebay, though.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Christmas Carol isn't quite Lulu, but she'll do.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

NO and I don't care to and I hate history and have been sick of it since I was in fourth grade in your town where history is just one big guilt trip as if I were in control and you would not have wanted to be a nation in control of it's own destiny.It is like history is a required taste.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry--my link didn't work correctly (not sure why). I had found a lovely portrait of Adm. Nelson, resplendent in his tricorn, cockaded hat and grabbed the link from the enlarged view of that. For some reason, clicking on the same link takes you to the home page of the site. Oh, well..

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 8 months ago

"If it is fictional, it is not a reenactment. It's just a bunch of tools running around playing guns."I would argue that this would be the case regardless of whether the underlying battle is fictional or not.I once saw the Batley's Townwomen's Guild reenact the Battle of Pearl Harbor.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas~ How authentic is your reenactment? Does your tricorn hat have a feather cockade?http://www.allposters.com/View_HighZoomResPop.asp?apn=1214576&imgloc=12-1253-228T000Z.jpg&imgwidth=714&imgheight=840I find the whole idea of Civil War reenactments creepy and disturbing. When enough time has passed, will the horror and stark reality of other wars fade enough to permit the folksy and romantic atmosphere necessary for similar dramatic handling?Or are there already, perhaps, community Axis and Allied reenactments, with Nazi stormtroopers happily enthusing over their realistic costumes and what a dead ringer the 7th-grade shop teacher is for Hitler? Boy, that sounds like fun! I think I'll stop eating now, in anticipation of my role as a concentration camp survivor. (shudder)And, yes, I know they raise money for good causes... There are lots of self-indulgent, theatrical behaviors that people can justify simply by charging money and contributing it to "heart-warming" causes. I just can't buy into that, myself.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

"Yes, my own birthday." - WindlassInto that whole spanking thing huh?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Prospector -I wish Free State would reenact $1.25 pints on Mondays.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

No, the real thing had a lot more drama.

billbodiggens 5 years, 8 months ago

It's my understanding that Justice Nuss of the Kansas Supreme Court is a re-inactor who once showed up at a conference of judges wearing buckskin and waving a real musket and Bowie knife. Go figure.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

R_I, that's the first thing that came into my head when I read the question.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

I go to my local community fair's demolition derby, and I'm pretty sure that's a re-enactment of any given day of driving on the interstate.

nobody1793 5 years, 8 months ago

"Yeah. They had a Civil War re-enactment and encampment in the town I grew up in. It was a fictional battle where one side would win one day and the other side would win the next."What? If it is fictional, it is not a reenactment. It's just a bunch of tools running around playing guns.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

Occasionally the spousal unit and I re-enact scenes.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

I went to a reenactment of Pearl Harbor in either Tulsa or Oklahoma City.

Topside 5 years, 8 months ago

Wow looks like Julie Brown was downtown. Har. Har.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

No, but I sometimes reenact the Battle of Trafalgar in my bathtub with lots of little ships and a bottle of rum to honor Admiral Nelson.