Previous   Next

Do you know how to fish?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 17, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I know how to fly fish. I started about a year ago and go fishing for bluegill and sunfish out at Lone Star. I just got back from fishing on the Current River in Missouri, but I didn’t catch anything.”

“Basically I do, but I haven’t been since I was about 8.”

“Yes. I love to fish. I have a little pond outside of town that I go to. My dad took me fishing when I was little, and I’ve been hooked ever since.”

“I do know how to fish. I was a camper and later on staff at a summer camp where we made our own rods and caught little fish and threw them back.”

Related story

Comments

Aisling 5 years, 8 months ago

Py~"Aisling~ Use a steel leader and you'll be fine. Good fighting fish! Good eating!"Um, I know those words are all English but I'm afraid they meant nothing to me! Unless a steal leader can protect me from the evil razor toothed (teethed?) prehistoric lookin' fish things when they capsize the boat and try to dine on my Croc encased footsies, then I stand by my decision to stay clear of any body of water in Canada. Oh, and has anyone blamed the found feet in Canada on evil musky or eviler pikes? Fish with teeth just ain't right.

coolmarv 5 years, 8 months ago

Is Eric saying he fishes for Bluegill and Sunfish by fly fishing? Most interesting. I have never seen anyone fly fish at Lone Star. Thought it was a Trout thing. Yes, I know how to fly fish. I started about a year ago and go fishing for bluegill and sunfish out at Lone Star. I just got back from fishing on the Current River in Missouri, but I didn't catch anything."- Eric Hyde, musician, Lawrence

JayCat_67 5 years, 8 months ago

Cooler: Check.Ice: CheckBeer: CheckYep, I'm ready.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says: We can skin a buck, we can run a trot line..and a country boy can survive..By the way..It is a Dupont Spinner:"Marion writes:Yeah!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

You're all still too funny. Wine shots...can't quit giggling.Oh, and thanks to all for not calling me on typing Saturday instead of Sunday. I was still fairly out of it.But then, aren't I always?That would be a good user name...fairly_outofit.It would take them a few tries to figure it out.A man came to my garage sale, he saw the minnow bucket. Asked if I had any fishing poles for his grandsons. I had a couple out there, but told him, somewhere in my basement there are a lot more if he cared to hunt for themHe brought up a few more, and a net.I know I could have possibly sold them for more, but I didn't have time to stop and make sure which ones were in perfect working order or not. Hopefully he and the kids will get good use out of them.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

We can skin a buck, we can run a trot line..and a country boy can survive..By the way..It is a Dupont Spinner...

RKLOG 5 years, 8 months ago

There's an old saying:"Teach a man to fish... and he'll get a woman to clean it!"

JJE007 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes. I know how to fish. We all do.I only wish I knew when and where to fish...and how to get to get there when the time comes to fish.If we had only to match our wits with fish, life would be good.Instead we fight rats in a race to find time to enjoy what cannot reign.

Napoleon_Dynomite 5 years, 8 months ago

I avoid fishing because it makes my fingers smell like fish.

KansasPerson 5 years, 8 months ago

It's funny that this was the question in the paper today, because we were just talking about this at our house a few days ago. I haven't been fishing since I was small, but even given that shred of experience, I don't know how to clean 'em after they're caught. I'm quite embarrassed about this. I feel I should definitely learn how to do the whole fishing thing from start to finish. I feel very non-self-sufficient, not knowing how to do this. And I'm ashamed at being sort of squeamish about it. After all, I'll happily eat fish until it's coming out of my ears. Why not learn the whole process, even the icky bits? I wish there was a class I could take or something.

ms_canada 5 years, 8 months ago

I live in an area of abundant lakes that contain fish. And am married to a guy who loves to fish and so I know how to fish but I don't like it much. Sitting for hours, getting sunburned, being bored, not for me. Bedsides, I don't like cleaning and filleting the darn things, and I hate eating them, so don't much see the point of it. Oh but I do remember something good about fishing. My hubby and I had a good day fishing along the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula of east Mexico and catching a yellow fin tuna. We also caught a baracuda, or should I say 1/2 a baracuda. Before hubby could get it into the boat, a shark nipped off the other half. Poor baracuda. That rather threw me off fishing for the rest of the day. It was delightful up to that point.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Aisling 5 years, 8 months ago

my bro and sis in law own a fishing lodge in Canada and I was all set to go out and try my hand at catching a northern or a muskie until I saw a 57inch muskie mounted above the fireplace. Who knew fish (besides catfish and sharks) had teeth? Not me, that's for sure. Needless to say I wanted no part in fishing. I do like the #12 combo at McDonald's though.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

Multi,I was able to snag about 9 wine shots at the rail this morning.I got a nice start before getting chased away

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Shoot, I've been fishing since I was a tot.There is only one thing in the world I'd get up at 4:00 a.m. for when I was a kid, and that was to go fishing with my dad. There was nothing better than taking a boat out on the lake before sunrise and enjoying the changing colors of sky and water, the sounds of birds and insects, and the splash of a fish jumping nearby. Early in the morning, when there are just a few boats on the water, you notice the wind riffling the surface and the different scents it carries. You see the water lilies opening and the dragonflies dancing around the water's edge. If we had a good catch, that was the icing. If not, a morning on the lake was quite enough.

windell 5 years, 8 months ago

Real men use thier hands.....

John Spencer 5 years, 8 months ago

Give a man some fish and you'll feed his family for a day.Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

MD: "Did have to take a class on how to dress a deer through."... leotard or tutu?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

just saw this..or does the fish know how to hunt? Shark photos,,great..different, above water shotshttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/08/17/eashark117.xml

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

R_I...Congrats, you have fulfilled your Sunday requirement for spreading the word.You can have that beer now.

le 5 years, 8 months ago

my 1st pole was a bamboo...my dad and grandpa took me a lot when i was little..but i was always out lookin 4 frogs and turtles...then in my early teens my stepdad duane a wilson would take me on his boat at perry lake..he rarely laughed..he was retired senior master sarge in the air force..was a air traffic controller involved in dumbo drop..we were on the lake one day and a flock of gulls flew over us and one pooped and it hit me on the chest..he laughed so hard it almost startled me..had never seen him so amused before..so i joined in and had a great laugh myself..he said i got bombed by a B-1-RD...he and my step uncle johnny wilson (yep of johnnys tavern) and paul penny the artist went hunting and fishing a lot 2-gether..After Duane passed he had a lot of fishin gear in the garage..i gave it all 2 Paul..he was the only one left of the 3..i imagine when paul isnt painting or huntin moral shrooms he is out there somewhere fishin with some of D.W`s gear...enjoy paul..wish i were back in ks. droppin a line with ya..or paintin with ya..i miss ks. and the fire flies..but most of all my kid.....i gotta get outta cal. and back to my kid..this article made me realize although i am trapped here 4 a while ..i gotta get back and teach my youngin 2 fish...i dont belong here...big mistake coming here..i am truly a fish outta water here!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

You guys are far too funny for this early on a Saturday morning.I read the question and was insulted. Of course I can fish. I take the little net, run it down to the gravel if necessary. I really hate chasing them around the corner filter and plants.On a more serious note, of course I can.I'm from here! I was taught to sew, cook, art, dance, clean, sheetrock, plumb, garden, mow, dig fence posts, build, roof, fire a weapon, detail a car,take out and replace engines,soldering, and fish, etc.All the usual girl stuff.Did have to take a class on how to dress a deer through.

classclown 5 years, 8 months ago

Of course! You ask your opponent if he has any 3's. If he has none to give you, then he will tell you to "Go fish" in which case you will draw a card from the pile.

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the coat, by the way, I still have it!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

RET: "A naked man on the shore said "cast your net from the right side of the boat", so we did, and caught 153 fish. I gave the naked guy my coat, and we roasted some of the fish on the shore."153? ... normally, I quit counting after a few dozen.Interesting advice from the naked man on the shore, though.I would have expected a recommendation of "stink"bait,but I see he was able to lure you back to shore, nevertheless....

macon47 5 years, 8 months ago

the question should behave you ever been too drunk to fish ?

svengalli 5 years, 8 months ago

Be like Spiderman, and wait for the Boeing 747 to bring it to you. CO2 and local fish farms be damned. So much for energy and local-vore posturing.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

madmike (Anonymous) says: Marion, the dynamite is called the "Dupont Lure" :)"Marion writes:Oh, now THAT is funny!Haven't heard that one!tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says: "1/4 stick dynamite with a 9" fuse dropped into the lake."Been collateral fishing, again, Marion?"Marion writes:OK, you guys, I laughed so hard at your posts that I spilled coffee all over my keyboard!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

Once I went fishing, but was having no luck. A naked man on the shore said "cast your net from the right side of the boat", so we did, and caught 153 fish. I gave the naked guy my coat, and we roasted some of the fish on the shore.

madmike 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion, the dynamite is called the "Dupont Lure" :)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

I think a better question would be "Why do you know how to fish?"

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes.1/4 stick dynamite with a 9" fuse dropped into the lake.Or an old telephone magneto with one wire put into the water at each end of the boat.Crank really fast and wait for the fish to float to the top.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Walk into a restaurant & say "I'll have the blackened redfish, please."