Previous   Next

Do you know how to fish?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 17, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I know how to fly fish. I started about a year ago and go fishing for bluegill and sunfish out at Lone Star. I just got back from fishing on the Current River in Missouri, but I didn’t catch anything.”

“Basically I do, but I haven’t been since I was about 8.”

“Yes. I love to fish. I have a little pond outside of town that I go to. My dad took me fishing when I was little, and I’ve been hooked ever since.”

“I do know how to fish. I was a camper and later on staff at a summer camp where we made our own rods and caught little fish and threw them back.”

Related story

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

RET: "A naked man on the shore said "cast your net from the right side of the boat", so we did, and caught 153 fish. I gave the naked guy my coat, and we roasted some of the fish on the shore."153? ... normally, I quit counting after a few dozen.Interesting advice from the naked man on the shore, though.I would have expected a recommendation of "stink"bait,but I see he was able to lure you back to shore, nevertheless....

RKLOG 6 years, 2 months ago

There's an old saying:"Teach a man to fish... and he'll get a woman to clean it!"

John Spencer 6 years, 2 months ago

Give a man some fish and you'll feed his family for a day.Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Aisling 6 years, 2 months ago

my bro and sis in law own a fishing lodge in Canada and I was all set to go out and try my hand at catching a northern or a muskie until I saw a 57inch muskie mounted above the fireplace. Who knew fish (besides catfish and sharks) had teeth? Not me, that's for sure. Needless to say I wanted no part in fishing. I do like the #12 combo at McDonald's though.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"1/4 stick dynamite with a 9" fuse dropped into the lake."Been collateral fishing, again, Marion?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Walk into a restaurant & say "I'll have the blackened redfish, please."

KansasPerson 6 years, 2 months ago

It's funny that this was the question in the paper today, because we were just talking about this at our house a few days ago. I haven't been fishing since I was small, but even given that shred of experience, I don't know how to clean 'em after they're caught. I'm quite embarrassed about this. I feel I should definitely learn how to do the whole fishing thing from start to finish. I feel very non-self-sufficient, not knowing how to do this. And I'm ashamed at being sort of squeamish about it. After all, I'll happily eat fish until it's coming out of my ears. Why not learn the whole process, even the icky bits? I wish there was a class I could take or something.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

MD: "Did have to take a class on how to dress a deer through."... leotard or tutu?

classclown 6 years, 2 months ago

Of course! You ask your opponent if he has any 3's. If he has none to give you, then he will tell you to "Go fish" in which case you will draw a card from the pile.

dajudge 6 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the coat, by the way, I still have it!

JayCat_67 6 years, 2 months ago

Cooler: Check.Ice: CheckBeer: CheckYep, I'm ready.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

I think a better question would be "Why do you know how to fish?"

ms_canada 6 years, 2 months ago

I live in an area of abundant lakes that contain fish. And am married to a guy who loves to fish and so I know how to fish but I don't like it much. Sitting for hours, getting sunburned, being bored, not for me. Bedsides, I don't like cleaning and filleting the darn things, and I hate eating them, so don't much see the point of it. Oh but I do remember something good about fishing. My hubby and I had a good day fishing along the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula of east Mexico and catching a yellow fin tuna. We also caught a baracuda, or should I say 1/2 a baracuda. Before hubby could get it into the boat, a shark nipped off the other half. Poor baracuda. That rather threw me off fishing for the rest of the day. It was delightful up to that point.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes. I know how to fish. We all do.I only wish I knew when and where to fish...and how to get to get there when the time comes to fish.If we had only to match our wits with fish, life would be good.Instead we fight rats in a race to find time to enjoy what cannot reign.

coolmarv 6 years, 2 months ago

Is Eric saying he fishes for Bluegill and Sunfish by fly fishing? Most interesting. I have never seen anyone fly fish at Lone Star. Thought it was a Trout thing. Yes, I know how to fly fish. I started about a year ago and go fishing for bluegill and sunfish out at Lone Star. I just got back from fishing on the Current River in Missouri, but I didn't catch anything."- Eric Hyde, musician, Lawrence

Aisling 6 years, 2 months ago

Py~"Aisling~ Use a steel leader and you'll be fine. Good fighting fish! Good eating!"Um, I know those words are all English but I'm afraid they meant nothing to me! Unless a steal leader can protect me from the evil razor toothed (teethed?) prehistoric lookin' fish things when they capsize the boat and try to dine on my Croc encased footsies, then I stand by my decision to stay clear of any body of water in Canada. Oh, and has anyone blamed the found feet in Canada on evil musky or eviler pikes? Fish with teeth just ain't right.