Previous   Next

Are you concerned that the United States is getting involved in the conflict between Russia and Georgia?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 15, 2008

Browse the archives

“Oh yeah, definitely. I feel like we should not be involved at all. There has also been talk of Israel giving aid to Georgia, so it looks like there is a good possibility it’s going to get ugly.”

“I’m worried, but not all that concerned yet. I think we should keep our involvement to a minimum until we fully understand the situation.”

“I am. I’m not too informed about the specifics, but I’m hoping it won’t become a major ongoing conflict.”

“I am concerned that the U.S. is using it as an example for our future political relationship with Russia in the Balkans.”

Related story

Comments

Curtis Martell 5 years, 8 months ago

No, not concerned. There is nothing the U.S. can do and everyone knows it. The White House and State Department can bluster away, but they can't actually do anything. In a month this will be over, Russia will have made it's point to the former U.S.S.R satelite countries and we won't be discussing it.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Coy and Vance? those were the non-episodes. Like when Warren replaced Barney..game over.

bobberboy 5 years, 8 months ago

Why does the LJ seem to be asking this question to all those of draft age .

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Woodenfleaeter -Let us not bring up the Coy and Vance episodes. My fault.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

By cousins, you mean Coy and Vance, right?

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

i think the Russian have taken Valdosta.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

Bo and Luke Duke have been in tougher spots than this. I think they'll be ok. If it gets too hairy, they'll just call in their cousins and all will be fine.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Forget Georgia and Russia. Let's bomb China. Their trying to pass of 13 year olds as 16 year old gymnist. That situation calls for drastic action.

ms_canada 5 years, 8 months ago

50yr_resident - be sure to close your eyes when that bulls+++ hits the fan.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds to me like none of the 4 commenters are really that up to speed on what is actually going on over there.Either none of them had the guts to say, "sorry, but I'm not sure" or these are the best 4 responses the OTS question-asker could find.Well, I guess Jacob admitted that he isn't too aware of the details...

50YearResident 5 years, 8 months ago

Russia knows we have nothing to back up threats with as long as we have not finished the last two wars we are currently in. Putin looked into bush"s eyes and all he saw was bull$hit.

Mkh 5 years, 8 months ago

We aren't "getting involved" in this conflict. We've already been directly involved in it for at least 15 years. We (and Israel) have armed the Georgian military and trained them....not to mention that we mostly likely had special forces on the ground as the invasion into S. Ossetia took place.

slappedyomomma 5 years, 8 months ago

if we never came to a war with Russia during the Cold War, why would we do so now?Russia is now becoming rich because of their oil reserves (around 1/4 of the worlds oil is controlled by them) and they are trying to show Europe and Asia that they are still a force to be reckoned with. Putin is a thug and won't hesitate to push weaker countries around. if we ally ourselves with some of these neighboring countries, we should be ready to come to their aid. that being said, we should be very, very, very careful who we choose as our allies. Georgia should not be an ally, but we became friendly with them because of the oil pipeline. it would be okay to have friendly relations with them, but we should never have considered letting them enter NATO. This has simply infuriated Putin and other Russians to make them act as they are now. Georgia's actions in the disputed areas simply gave the Russians an excuse to do what they did and show the US who really influences that area. both sides are wrong.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah Hillsdale College. Go Chargers.Anyway ... I'm far more concerned about China's invasion of the gold medal podiums.

Kat Christian 5 years, 8 months ago

I've said from the beginning that Bush is going to lead us into WWIII and he still has time really make a mess of things. He needs to mind his own business. We have enough problems to do with Iraq.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 8 months ago

Bomb everybody. It's the only solution. (of course, I'm being sarcastic)

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Papa, the end has been nigh for every generation sense the apocalypse was written...Nostradamaus, comets and rock n' roll..the end is near always.

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

"I saw one of those guys on the bible channel a couple years ago that said russia moving towards israel is supposed to be a sign of the end-times. Could this be the first step? Find out after sports and tonights winning lottery numbers:"Umm, I think they say that about everything.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

With all that has been happening in Georgia, its just another good reason to not live in South Carolina. My aunt and cousin live in the Atlanta area and have not reported any Russian incursion there yet..

Berserk 5 years, 8 months ago

Once again, not our problem, it's simply another BP oil "place of interest" as they have a giant pipeline running through Georgia.I really don't care about emissions, I simply hope one day we don't have to rely on oil so our government can stop murdering young american citizens for a f&$ng dollar.

nobody1793 5 years, 8 months ago

I saw one of those guys on the bible channel a couple years ago that said russia moving towards israel is supposed to be a sign of the end-times. Could this be the first step? Find out after sports and tonights winning lottery numbers...

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

I've been concerned about the combative anti-red tone that has been rising these last few weeks. At least this peace-keeping effort is focused on diplomacy, as near as I can tell.