Previous   Next

Would you support lowering the Kansas highway speed limit to reduce greenhouse gas emissions?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“I would like to see studies documenting the expected benefit. It would have to make a difference for me to be willing to support it.”

“I probably wouldn’t support it because I wouldn’t get there fast enough.”

“I’m fine with it. I’m appreciative of any government action or involvement in attempting to reduce greenhouse gases. If it means I have to go a little slower then so be it. It’s such a small change you have to do to make a big difference.”

“I think it would definitely reduce it if you could get people to slow down.”

Related story

Comments

jimincountry 5 years, 8 months ago

OMG! Here we go again. VOTE NO!

joshupetersen 5 years, 8 months ago

This is a small band aid to a serious problem. Lowering the speed limit will only make a moderate impact on driving. If action is going to be taken, it should be in the area of getting gas vehicles off the road and replacing them with something better. In my opinion, they leave the speed limit, but make it so gas cars can only drive in one lane. The rest of the highway should be for alternative energy vehicles and also have a higher speed limit for alternative vehicles only. Also a small bike lane on the side for those willing to attempt it. People are going to keep driving gas vehicles as long as its convenient. If it's more convenient to drive something else, people will begin to change, and it'd make it easier to convert everything away from gas. As it is, there's a good number of electric or electric-dominant hybrids that are created or in development that could do wonders. (One example is the Aptera Hybrid, coming out in early 2009, which will get 100-350 mpg when a driver even bothers using gas instead of electricity).

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

R_I: "Ban water"There will be a water burning ceremony outside the treatment plant at noon, tomorrow, a la Kelvin 451.

iloveribs 5 years, 8 months ago

I know that Larry guy. He is a real jag off!

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

Why does the newspaper ask 95% of their questions downtown?

handley 5 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't be opposed to lowering the speed limit. First the speed limits we have need to be enforced. I drive from Lawrence to Topeka on the turnpike three times a week and their is always a few drivers think that they have to drive 80 or 90 mph. enforce the limits we have.

Daytrader23 5 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone ever had to drive through western Kansas? Talk about torture, I say we should raise it to 95 in the western part in order to get to Colorado faster. I had to drive that route several times in my Audi A6 in order to see family in Lawrence and not once was my average speed under 85. Over ten years and only one speeding ticket. I was actually lucky cause he clocked me at 82 after slowing down from 120. So my point is no, raising the speed limit will not slow people down only raise the revenue for highway patrol.

OnlyTheOne 5 years, 8 months ago

I want to see automakers, etc. start providing fuel consumption curves for vehicles again. Then, and only then, can you start making reasonable decisions concerning fuel economy and emissions.But no. This is America. Where some goofball convinces a dumb politician their way is "THE" way and we're left with a new law or procedure that's never been really tested or looked at from all sides.You want an example you say?1) Fluorescent screw in bulbs - containing mercury and none made in the US. Yes, you must start using them as incandescent bulbs are phased out.2) 1974 Every vehicle has to have an seat triggered interlock to prevent the vehicle from starting unless the seat belt is fastened after the seat switch is tripped. Lasted for less than a year until the dummies realized it applied to their vehicles also.I'm all for better fuel economy and saving the ecology, etc. but one time I'd like to see us think it through, find the correct method and do it right instead of trying every half baked idea that somebody comes up with.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Banning water would be okay, since I've just invented "Instant Water." Only problem is, I don't know what to add.

cowgomoo 5 years, 8 months ago

How does driving slower lower auto emissions? Driving slower causes you to drive a longer amount of time. Wouldn't that result in more emissions? It might conserve the amount of gasoline used, but I'm not seeing the connection here.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Something else we could do to lower greenhouse emissions would be to reduce the intake of brussel spouts and hard boiled eggs...

pace 5 years, 8 months ago

I would love to see the national speed limit reduced to 55. I love driving slow. Sometimes I feel so alone.

acg 5 years, 8 months ago

Hell no, stay away from the speed limit. If the rest of ya'll want to slow down, feel free to, but I have a lead foot and am always late, so no, I won't be slowing down anytime soon. Plus I agree with Bob. Al, park the jet buddy, and we'll talk about it.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 8 months ago

Speed limits?? I say no more than you need to get through the day, oops I mean yes there should be speed limits.

unclebiff 5 years, 8 months ago

let's limit the time your allowed to have your television on to an hour, make sure everyone doesn't over blend their smoothies, and outlaw gasoline powered lawn mowers...cripes!

kujayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Lowering the speed limit doesn't accomplish anything. Driving slower might.

Calliope877 5 years, 8 months ago

If everybody smoked weed, none of this would be happening.That was my irrelevant comment for the day.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 8 months ago

"While we are at it, let's sue "Big Volcano" for spewing more greenhouse gases than the entire Industrial age. "Why would you even take the time to type this, given your inability to conceive of any context in which this would be a meaningful statement?

knowuh 5 years, 8 months ago

I also made mention of legalizing hemp for the purpose of having a sustainable ethanol plant, but hey, can't win 'em all...- noah ^^

N_Trenched 5 years, 8 months ago

While we are at it, let's sue "Big Volcano" for spewing more greenhouse gases than the entire Industrial age. The "Gore-on's" are the problem.

bobberboy 5 years, 8 months ago

I would only support it if all the revenue generated from the speeding tickets goes to reduce the tax on gasoline.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

"Ban water?" R_IWhile that would make sense due to water's sole desire to destroy the Earth, it is an important ingredient in beer. I say keep water, ditch Al Gore.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 8 months ago

This is where Al Gore starts affecting all of our lives. He is making millions putting us out. Noone listens to what me and many others say. He is absolutely behind all of this. This hypocrite is only getting started. See how much money you spend and how much your life is "inconvenienced" due to Al Gore's Convenient Propaganda. His two companies are already raking in the cash and when he weasels his way back into DC and pushes policy, there will be no end to it. You can bet on it. And the environmental kooks think this is all just dandy.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

Water vapor causes about 3670% of the greenhouse effect on Earth. Ban water?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

As soon as Al Gore parks his jet.

John Spencer 5 years, 8 months ago

Hell no, its already to low. We need MORE Co2 to hasten the demise of humankind and let planet earth try something else.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

I would support it. But it sure would make violators out of all you type A's out there that think you have to blow the doors off everything else on the road. Why do you have to go 75 or 80? What is the big rush all about?

tirednhungry2 5 years, 8 months ago

How did John Locke get off the island?

wysiwyg69 5 years, 8 months ago

Hell no I wouldn't lower the speed limit! If you are woried about saving gas buy a effing car that gets better gas mpg. Leave the speed limit alone .

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Iz in yr Greenhouse,Making emissions.lolz!