Previous   Next

What’s your best or strangest first-day-of-school memory?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 13, 2008

Browse the archives

“In third grade, there was a Miss McKey and a Miss McGee. I had Miss McGee, and walked into Miss McKey’s class.”

“Just seeing all my friends and talking about what we did all summer.”

“When I was a freshman, I had a map out and I was looking around, looking like a total freshman.”

“I got lost looking for the easiest building (to find) on campus, which was Strong Hall.”

Comments

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Augh! Too close! Too close!No good first day memories.

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

In 6th grade, we went to school for a couple of days before Labor Day. And then I broke my arm over Labor Day and came back in a huge cast, my mom carrying my stuff, and everyone asking me what happened and volunteering to help. It wasn't the first day of school, but close. I spent most of that school year in a cast.

H_Lecter 6 years, 1 month ago

Talking one of the girls into playing Joan of Arc (and I was Geoffroy Therage) at recess.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

I try to avoid remembering anything about school.

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 1 month ago

A few days before the first day of middle school, my buddy and I super glued our friends lockers shut (the top part where the books were kept). When school started everyone was complaining how they couldn't get into their lockers. Let's just say it was a sticky situation!

sdinges 6 years, 1 month ago

For my transfer student orientation - that first day at KU - I was listed officially as a Chemistry major (instead of Economics), was in the School of Journalism orientation group, spent three hours in a line trying to get into the right English class... and when I finally got a chance to register for classes (most of which were full), I could not because I had an Applied English hold. Turns out, someone forgot to mention that I had to go prove I speak English... cause you know... I'm from Canada and all.So I end up at this Applied English interview, speaking English as my first language, but the lady asks me what language I had my schooling in. I said "half French, half English." Her pen hovered over the box that said "must take written test" and she hmmed with disaproval, saying "School in French?" I blurted "But my parents are from England!!"With finality she said "Oh well, that's ok then" and gave me a certificate that said I speak English - in case it wasn't obvious when I opened my mouth.

George_Braziller 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank every god and godess in the universe that as boys didn't care what to wear. Hmmm. Let's see, guess it will be the jeans, the sneakers, and whatever shirt we grabbed off the hanger. Oh, and don't forget a pair of socks if you happen to remember them!

sweettrue2 6 years, 1 month ago

Getting my butt swatted for leaning over my desk to talk to a boy. 1st day, 2nd grade. Trust me, back then you knew to respect your teachers...or else

tonythetiger 6 years, 1 month ago

sunfried worms on the blacktop playground.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

On my first day of college it rained heavily--I was going to Hutch Community College--if you've ever been in Hutch when it rains you know how fast it floods. Well, I was running to my car so I could give a classmate who had some more classes to go to a ride (I was done for the day) and I stepped off a curb into a pothole and ended up breaking my foot. Of course I didnt know it at the time and drove home in my soaking wet clothes on a broken foot (right foot--thank God for cruise control). I pulled up to the Emergency room but couldnt get out of my car. I had to wait for someone to come out and the next person who did was a nurse wheeling an elderly woman to her car. I honked and told her I couldnt get out to walk in and she took me in...what a lovely day. Oh, and of course they called my parents, who worked in Wichita at the time, and told them "there has been an accident, Alison is in the ER" and thats it... so they freaked out. But by the time they made it to the ER I had gotten a friends mom who worked at the hospital to take me home, so I was laying on the couch when they came home and finally saw what happened.Lovely first day! and you know, the girl never told me thank you for the ride.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

,;-DMaybe it's only me, ChristmasCarol, but sometimes your posts are like little presents, just waiting to be opened...CC: "One of the little girls I was in class with helped me come out of the tunnel before I went flying. She was the one I had this horrendous crush on."Been there, done that."...Thank heaven for little girlsthank heaven for them all,no matter where no matter whofor without them, what would little boys do?"CC: "This was not the first day of school dream though."(Shades of the Log Lady and... ) priceless.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Finding out the mastodons had gone extinct over the summer.

George_Braziller 6 years, 1 month ago

In Kindergarten I remember a girl named Debby who was wearing a yellow dress and had to go home because she had an "accident" while we were on the playground.

Aisling 6 years, 1 month ago

janeyb~I've been out of HS 25 years and college 21 years and I STILL have that dream. That or the one where I'm 1500 miles away from work and I'm trying to call my Manager to tell her I'm not going to make it to work but I can't make the phone work. sigh

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

The time Mr. Hand tore up my schedule in front of the whole U.S. history class and then sent me to the Principal's office for being late. Then I was given detention, where I ate sushi and partied with a geek, a stoner, a jock, and a loser. Before I left I made sure to vote for Pedro for President, but I think Tracy Flick won. The reason I was late was because my parents forgot it was my 16th birthday -- as if! -- so I spent most of the day in Chicago with two friends and had fun, went to a Cub's game and got to sing atop a parade float. When I got home that night I hacked into the Pentagon's computer system and almost started WWIII, so I left the house and drove around town in a T-Bird listening to Wolfman Jack. That was a pretty unusual day, I guess.

looza 6 years, 1 month ago

9th grade, first day of high school , a riot breaks out between the blacks and the rednecks and the local T.V. station was there so trying to find 3rd period biology class just didn't seem that important. Go Lancers!

janeyb 6 years, 1 month ago

No memories of the first day of school--supressed them all. But I'm starting my final semester at KU and over the summer I started having the "Dream". The one where it is finals week and I forgot to go to a class the entire the semester. How long does this dream go on?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Showing up in my underwear, having forgotten my locker combination, unprepared for the test....( as salient a memory as any-it persists, to this day )

tonythetiger 6 years, 1 month ago

Let me clear this up: Sunfried worms on the blacktop playground after a torrential downpour and homeless worms have no place to go so they baked in the sun.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

jayneb, the forgetting to go to a class dream will be replaced by the, "They discovered I am one credit / one class shy and that I need to return the degree," dream in the future. It is the mind trying to give you self doubt of "I haven't earned this / I don't deserve this." Just ignore it and keep on keeping on. Good luck with final semester, and remember to enjoy the good times.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 1 month ago

still being the only girl in class with no boobs. And it was 8th grade....

pomegranate 6 years, 1 month ago

I went to school in Southern Calif., and I don't remember any 1st days, but my 5th grade class took a field trip to Knott's Berry Farm, and my teacher, Betty Dorsey, about 500 lbs and 6 feet tall, told the boys she would tie them to a string attached to her wrist if they misbehaved. She had 3 boys tied to her. You sure couldn't get away with that nowadays!! Of course, that was about 55 years ago. (by the way, I now realize she was probably about 5'7" and probably 185 lbs or so)

canyon_wren 6 years, 1 month ago

janeyb--my sisters and I all have had that dream a lot--even well into years past college. Has anyone else out there? It's a real nightmare!

blahblahblah 6 years, 1 month ago

Walking into kindergarten and discovering that 4 other people also shared my name. Curse those Irish Catholics!

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 6 years, 1 month ago

Well since tomorrow is the first day here, I will make this promise:On the first day of school I will not cry, I will not scream, I will not run out of my classroom begging to be taken home, I will not cling to my mom and beg her not to leave me, I will be nice to all of the children and I will not take any toys away from others.... Because I am the teacher, I am the teacher, I am the teacher...