Previous   Next

Would it make you nervous to teach a class?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 10, 2008

Browse the archives

“If I knew a lot about what I was talking about, I wouldn’t be nervous. But if I wasn’t confident in my knowledge of the subject matter, I would be.”

“Yeah, I probably would be. I’d be afraid that someone would know more about it than me and call me out on it.”

“I think it would depend on the age group. I’d be fine with little kids, but any older than that would probably make me nervous.”

“Yes. Talking in front of so many people would make me nervous.”

Related story

Comments

Godot 5 years, 8 months ago

"If I knew a lot about what I was talking about, I wouldn't be nervous. But if I wasn't confident in my knowledge of the subject matter, I would be."omg.

denak 5 years, 8 months ago

Heck yeah, that is the scary thing! I was a paraeducator a few years ago and thinking about becoming a teacher, so one of the 2nd grade teachers offered to let me teach a few classes. Omg, you wouldn't think a bunch of 2nd graders would be intimidating but they are. The first time, the teacher suggested that I play a math card game with them. Simple enough. Sit in the front of the class and do flash cards. Well apparently, I was showing too many subtraction cards and they let me know it. Talk about ruthless! I think I quickly came to the conclusion that teaching was not for me!People think that teaching is easy but it isn't. It takes a lot of skill, patience and knowledge to be a teacher. And I honestly believe that most people couldn't do it.Dena

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

jim: Are those two things mutually exclusive?

jimincountry 5 years, 8 months ago

PS: Of course i'm old and just watched a Doris Day movie from 1948 and remember the "good ole days" before..............movies were so realistic of life .....or are they just vile now?!

jimincountry 5 years, 8 months ago

No..........not in Kansas.....well maybe a a place or 2 in Kansas City or Wichita>BUT, YES in the ghettoes of the east coast and the west coast!

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

That is fine and all. I sure would be nervous considering the students I attended school with.I am the initiator of the study and placed the control where I did.That is absolutely why!!!!I will never teach in a school again. I did at one point.Especially with instances of school yard and classroom beating with video off cell phone showing the teacher right there at the desk feet away from it going on.

le 5 years, 8 months ago

I was lookin at the picture of Ashley Andreas..the new teacher for central..Damn...I got a boner! How in the heck do you expect the young boys to learn anything when they are trying to hide the boners she is gonna cause? If I had a teacher that was that hot when i was in jr. high I would fail on purpose so i could take her class again! Man...if I were a student i would hope like hell she would abuse me and teach me sex ed. in a motel room...lucky little jr. high pricks!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Nervous? Somewhat... whether I felt I had a command of the material, or not... but in a good way.And, BTW, a lot of the anxiety expressed above could be dispensed with a simple reorientation away from the viewpoint that learning environments need to be adversarial.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Little nervous, but looking forward to it. "This says enough to me about the nature of sociological human interactions among the "educated" to do things my own way and not the way others do them without thinking about it."From one study?

Fangorn 5 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely not! I enjoy teaching. Two keys are to know your subject matter (and review it beforehand) and to take charge of the class. Don't be afraid to address unruly behavior. You don't have to be rude or aggressive, just show them you're not going to let them run the class.I also worked as a para (at the old South Junior High) and had one class that I pretty much taught when the regular teacher was out. I also teach classes for my military unit (ground and explosive safety) and for my civilian job (a number of automotive industry-related computer systems).

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes. I spoke to two middle school digital photo classes last year, and it was terrifying; doing that on a regular basis would probably kill me. I'm not a teacher by any stretch of the imagination; I'm terrible at public speaking, and I'm terrible at passing along what I know. Speaking to the middle school classes (which I do partly because I know the teacher from sports, and he's a good guy) is pretty much as far as I want to go with that.A couple weeks ago I got an email from the director of my local center for the arts asking me if I wanted to teach a photography class; I think you can guess what my answer was.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

In a study done in a semi- controlled environment in a setting that involved tests that involved dexterous uses and written exam and social interactions..62% of people did not understand a concept of existentialism46% of people could not apply the concept of utilitarianism in the life in 5 minutes or less.84% of people could not operate one of ten hand tools to do a chore that it was not intended for.75% of people could not reason through a problem posed to them in a way it had not already been explained to them through the course of the whole study65% of people could not understand why they needed not to do what the other people in the study were doing and go their own direction.80% of the people listened to a fictitious account of a control in the study and acted on it in a way that would have been detrimental to a real person46% of the people that realized the mistake they made did not care or tried to cover up what they did.This says enough to me about the nature of sociological human interactions among the "educated" to do things my own way and not the way others do them without thinking about it.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely!!!! With the behavior and perspective of most the people that are of the age to take a class as well as the maturity level. I would absolutely not teach a class unless I screened all the students. My mom was a school teacher. I even sat in her class and helped a bit sometimes. I worked as a paraprofessional or teacher's aide for a while as well. In addition to this I have witnessed many KU students make fun of one of my French teachers so much that she broke her contract to go back to France because she had underarm hair and dressed differently than most everyone.