Previous   Next

Do you try to buy food that is grown or produced locally?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not really. I just go with whatever they have at Checkers. The price is pretty much the bottom line.”

“Eventually yes. I just moved here, but I’m planning to grow a lot of my own food. I also try to pay attention to where it comes from when I’m shopping.”

“Yes. I like to support local businesses. Organic is cool and all that, but mostly it’s to supports local folks like me.”

“I do. I go to the Farmers’ Market and the Merc. I prefer to buy local because I think it tastes better. And I feel like I’m giving back to the community, because I am.”

Related story

Comments

cutny 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey Jonass--Regarding your daily obsession with sunglasses and the overall misogynistic tone it tends to take on. Here's an idea. Why don't you post a picture of your yourself and include your (real) name so that we can all find something to ridicule you about on a daily basis. It's gotten a bit juvenile, after oh...I don't know 9 or 10 months...what do you say? You game brave man?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Holy mother of the tweedle beetles! Did you check out those shades? Geez Louise! Oh, my my!!Beef comes from our neighbor. Yum. Chickens (and eggs) from our backyard. Veggies from backyard; neighbors; or farmer's mkt. But sigh I still spend wads of cash at the grocery stores. Fangorn, most people scream that they want organic and then scream when a worm falls out of their corn. Just fickle, I tell ya!Did I mention the huge flippin sunglasses up top?

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Any evolution towards more aerodynamic OTS sunglasses has apparently been reversed. I have to wonder sometimes about what kind of tan lines those things leave behind.I gather we buy our produce at Checkers, but some of our vegetables are grown in our backyard. Not by me, I have something of a black thumb of death. If it can't yell at me in some fashion to tell me it needs something, it tends to die.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

Supporting local commerce is good for business. Keeps those dollars at home instead of some foreign country. Even more of a concern is conventional produce grown in foreign countries is not subject to the same EPA regulations as applied to the USA. Toxic chemicals banned in the USA do not apply elsewhere. Then again banned toxic chemicals are replaced with different toxic chemicals.Shop for local chemical free or organic food products. It's good for business.

not_dolph 6 years, 4 months ago

I was trying to grow potatoes over by LHS, but the drainage from the practice field was making my yard to saturated. So no.

humblecommentator 6 years, 4 months ago

I try not to eat tomatoes because of the seeds.

Fort_Aubrey 6 years, 4 months ago

It is all cooked at the local Burger King. Does that count?

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

Did somebody just spike the blog with acid?

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

My kids are trying to convince me to grow our own tomatoes next year. We have so many rabbits in the neighborhood, and dogs that like to dig. We might try it.

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

Have you ever seen such a gaudy display of sun protective plastic in all your life? I'm telling ya, next up is a full face welder's shield.I try to shop at farmer's markets whenever possible.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

Just tried a Bison steak last night. Grass fed, without the hormones, and other stuff that usually is in our meat from the grocery store. The buffalo is raised by some folks out by Overbrook. It is pricey, but worth it.

Fangorn 6 years, 4 months ago

I think we need to get video of Brandon and Arlena. Those glasses could be a disguise for Andromechian Roach People. Either that, or their neighbor's matching fish bowl collection is missing a set or two.I try to shop at Checker's because they tend to carry local produce. But their prices just are competative most of the time. "Organic" is usually a euphamism for harder-to-produce and therefore more expensive. It's a great theory ... if you can afford it.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

cutny (Anonymous) says:"Hey Jonass-Regarding your daily obsession with sunglasses and the overall misogynistic tone it tends to take on."If you're keeping track, could you tell me the last time was I made a derogatory sunglasses joke? Or are you counting my mention of full-face sunglasses in China? Those are very factually real. I also assure you it's gender neutral, at least in intention. I hadn't thought of a sexual trend, it seems both genders wear these glasses to some degree. http://a989.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/l_46ac2e7f2372ba1f61a153b0e6bbccec.jpgBest I care to do, as it's on the internet already. But it's actually a. . . test run, I guess, to be this guy for Halloween. I don't wear glasses, and I usually have a full goatee. http://a771.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/78/l_c7fa2a667a7ce068e3a4b4d0855327da.pngNairb Rollem

tonythetiger 6 years, 4 months ago

Sheldon Shaeffer and Susan Bays and Kristin Hall and I decided to eat strawberry fish donuts with orange icing on them. Peaches are always to be deep fried just like Fatty Hadl needs them at Independence Ink. Mikey likes his Life cereal and that sure is fine and dandy and all.Garland Hell from the 9th street Buptiat Church decided to try to feed me his peanut.So No, I don't eat local or organic. The girl named Erin at The Community Mercantile was too busy harassing me about Ice Cream and Gretchen Gwaltney was kind of a bitch anyway but that was back when they were on 7th and Mississippi anyway. Way back in 1991.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

multiD: No problem. Ramsfield: That's probably a fair assessment, but I got married in that suit.

Crossfire 6 years, 4 months ago

I just steal locally grown food from my neighbors gardens.Yummy Melons.