Previous   Next

Are you going to watch the Olympics?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 8, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I will. I like the gymnastics and swimming competitions.”

“Parts of it. I’m sure I’ll watch the gymnastics with my daughter.”

“I plan to. I obviously can’t watch it all. But I do enjoy watching the Olympics, especially the gymnastics and diving.”

“I am, probably quite a bit of it. Track and field is my favorite, but I’ll watch the basketball, too.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I will be watching.Hey Jonas, what's your take on this whole facemask flap with the US Cycling team? Were they justified in wearing them and the Chinese government reacted because they don't want the bad publicity? Or, did the US team overreact to the perceived hazard of the pollution?

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

ohjayhawk: To be honest, if you could say I watched it its largely been from another room. I have something of a phobia towards uncomfortable and embarrassing situations on TV, so you can imagine Monk is. . . difficult to take a lot of. But it was definitely the best comparison that sprung to mind.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

As for the question, I might, as I am curious as to how this will play out. I, personally, didn't think that China was really ready to be the host of the Olympics, but once it was conferred upon them the talk of trying to take it away was disgraceful and would have upset and embarrassed everybody in China, and not just the government. At any rate, the people in Beijing have been working amazingly hard to get it as good as its gonna get, and the improvement was impressive when I was there in May. If it goes poorly, however, there could be some serious problems in the country, after the Tibet stuff and the earthquake. But room for more improvements, as well. So, I guess if I watch it won't be for the sports. Olympic sports bore me, where 3/10 of a second is enough to separate number 1 from number 31.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the insight, Jonas. Oh, and nice Monk reference!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

Sgt, Happy birthday!!! I'm sending you a virtual cake. (It is absolutely gorgeous and tastes twice as good as it looks.)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

"Lemur chunking" sounds like some bizarre form of cooking.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

Well, reading that I would say that there's more than enough foolishness to go around. There is certainly, under any reasonable criteria, no reason for someone to need a mask even before entering the country, and I don't think they'd need it in the city, though probably in some of the subway stations. As for the CCP, it's stupid of them to freak out like that, but I imagine that right now, with their history of control, they're about as jumpy as Adrian Monk would be inviting a group of frat boys over to his house for a kegger.

Janet Cinelli 6 years, 3 months ago

YES! Can't wait. I got my cable turned back on for it. :)

acg 6 years, 3 months ago

Happy birthday sgt! It's my friend Jay's bday too. I prob won't watch much of the olympics. The Hamm bros both had to drop out and gymnastics is the only part that ever interests me enough to actually watch it.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh, and if anyone missed it last night, I've located another Andromachean Roach Person. The Lipozene lady is about as dead of a giveaway as I've seen to date. Check the video if you don't know who I'm talking about.http://www.lipozene.com/

acg 6 years, 3 months ago

Now, Monk hosting a kegger, that would be something worth watching. ; )

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Happy Birthday sgt! Today also would have been my parents' 38th anniversary.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Of course! I mean, think about it:1)I'm a sports fan, and2)The opening ceremonies are on my birthday.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 3 months ago

What's the Olympics? What's television? Should I care about these things? Why?I guess I would watch if I could. It sounds like a convenient way to ignore life in general...chaos.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

ohjayhawk: Well of course, I think this is just another example of capitalist imperialists pushing their way of life on the poor socialists, just like in the Opium Wars. Not really, I haven't heard of this story before. Do you have a link for it? I can see both of your options as holding a great potentially degree of truth.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

The luge competition will have me on the edge of my seat.I've always felt the Olympics was for lugers.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

jonas - I found several links, but this one gave me new information. The masks were distributed by the USOC.http://gothamist.com/2008/08/06/us_cycling_teams_apologizes_to_beij.php

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

autie,it'll be the day after the cow pie heaving contest, the same day as the catapult shoot-off. **hey, I've got an idea, to celebrate the olympics Lawrence should adopt a new sister city ... from Tibet.