Previous   Next

How much do you think Bill Self should make per year as KU men’s basketball coach?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“I don’t know if I could come up with a good price. But whatever they’re paying him, it’s too much.”

“Two million a year. We’ve had a really strong program and buildup this far. I guess we’ll see how well he does recruiting and rebuilding the team this year after losing so many players.”

“I would say a million a year, but I’m sure he makes more than that.”

“Two million. He just won the championship, and I think that’s a typical salary for the top head coaches in college basketball.”

Related story

Comments

dwhiteley 5 years, 8 months ago

Let us not forget that most universities are seats of professional athletics, which as a side-light, attempt to provide a minimal educational program. KU is no exception and has recently become one of the leaders in this pack. I'm told that universities used to sponsor athletic programs as an opportunity for their students to broaden their education through teamwork and competition. Now universities sponsor athletics for the $ and the publicity and the students get the opportunity to broaden their education through body painting.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

I had not read this thread. I saw the question and ..about tree fiddy came to mind. I game to post that, but decided to read the thread first.Dang if prospector didn't beat me to it!prospector (Anonymous) says: Chef's father, "Treefitty".

VTHawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Lots of people are worth $1M per year. Some are worth $0 per year. Self has contributed greatly to the Lawrence economy, as well as to the image of the University and State, so he is worth every penny of the $3M. Now, if only someone would pay me $3M per year...

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 8 months ago

Goldstein says, "whatever they're paying him, it's too much." What a buffoon! He readily admits that he has no idea how much self gets paid, but he says it is too much. Get a clue, Goldstein! Why is it that some people hate those who are successful?

JayCat_67 5 years, 8 months ago

":same as God:not a penny more:"Hmmm.... I guess they could pass a collection plate around Allen Field House during the games...

JJE007 5 years, 8 months ago

...same as God...not a penny more...

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"Tomorrow's Question: "If the moon was made of spare ribs, would you eat it?""-------------In the words of an immortal man: "I know I would!"On a related note, when did Harry Caray come back to life and start writing OTS questions for the LJWorld?

humblecommentator 5 years, 8 months ago

under the system he's paid right but if i were a hard-working kus prof (rare) in another field i'd be upset

humblecommentator 5 years, 8 months ago

i only eat spare ribs occasionally

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

Tomorrow's Question: "If the moon was made of spare ribs, would you eat it?"

iloveribs 5 years, 8 months ago

I know that mike guy. He is a real jag off!

Rationalanimal 5 years, 8 months ago

...as much as KU agreed to, not a penny more or less.

metta 5 years, 8 months ago

the same as the fire chief ?

basil 5 years, 8 months ago

Um, a bazillion.But only if my favorite English prof and Bio prof make 2 bazillion each.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh, good news folks. My vigilant hunt for Andromechian Roach People has potentially uncovered another infiltrator. If you recall, my agency has uncovered two probable ARPs, one the President of the TV advertised Art Institute, the other the lady in most of the Spangles commercials. The warning was put out by members of the community on Katie Horner, George Stephanopolous, and a general suspicion regarding nail salon workers. Details and minutes available here. http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2006/dec/21/mos_snow/Now, I believe that we have located a new ARP: the lady in the Lipozene commercials. Video available here:http://www.lipozene.com/This is perhaps the most confirmable ARP to date, I believe. A poorly constructed exterior shell, improper focus of the visual apparatus, and jerky, disconnected physical actions. As always, maintain vigilance.

samsnewplace 5 years, 8 months ago

It amazes me the price tag all colleges and state universities put on sports. High school awards given during a graduation ceremony are fully geared for scholarships to the athlete's. I don't feel anyone is worth $3 million, or $2 million or $1 million! That is not reality.

volunteer 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure this should factor in, but the bar proprietors in town tell me they made good money due to the success of the ball clubs last year. I like Coach Self's lack of arrogance and that he doesn't refer to himself in the third person. But in general, I'll go along with those who say he is worth whatever the market bears.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Prospector, "I told that woman not to give no money to the Loch Ness Monster."

Fangorn 5 years, 8 months ago

gayokay: While I agree that higher salaries could help recruit and retain better professors, it still comes back to the number of people with the skills necessary to do the job. If the number of people who are capable of being college professors was matched by an equal number of people who could coach a basketball team at the championship level like Bill Self does, then basketball coaches' salaries would be a lot lower. If more people could throw like Brett Favre, then NFL quarterbacks would make a lot less. It's simply a supply and demand issue, and this directly concerns the supply side of the equation.

oldvet 5 years, 8 months ago

"Sports coaches should make no more than any professor at a university."There are a heck of a lot more un/under- employed PhD's out there than people capable of coaching an NCAA D-1 national championship team... you can hire another professor for your university from a deep pool of talent...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

"How much do you think the moon is worth?" - logicsound04 $165 billion dollars for a 13 year lease.

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

No one is worth a million a year. No one. Sports coaches shouldn't make as much as professors, because they provide less value to a university. Administrators shouldn't make as much as professors, either, because they're not doing the heavy lifting of research and education. Humanities professors should make the most, because truth without beauty is heartless and knowledge without wisdom is dangerous. The sciences teach you how to do. Humanities teach you how to be. Sports teaches you that academics don't matter if you have popular physical talents. That's a mindset that should not be rewarded.

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

If you want to see a coach who is extremely overpaid, then check out Bonnie Henrickson. She hasn't done a thing, but she's sure getting her raises. At least Self is earning his salary.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

So none of my $55 per game goes to Self?

Marcus DeMond 5 years, 8 months ago

I think it should be performance based pay. You get paid for every game you win and nothing if you lose. The tougher the game, the more it's worth. If he lost every game, he gets $0 (and fired). He wins every game, he gets $4 million. We pay for what we get.Just my $.02Best of luck Bill. I am rooting for you all the way. Your worth every penny.

otto 5 years, 8 months ago

Nothing - he should do it for the love of the game and of course the children.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Once again, Logicsound, you made me laugh out loud. Couldn't agree more.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

gayokay,Part of the problem with that is the fact that there are far more donors, alumni, and private interests that are willing to write a blank check to KU Athletics Corp. to pay a coach's salary than there are people willing to do the same to retain a professor.Professors' salaries come from the state funding, taxes, and tuition the University recieves. Self's salary, on the other hand, comes from private donors.Not saying it's fair, it just is.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, what ever Daniel says. If fact, just come over and read out of the phone book. He is so hot! My goodness, I'm all twitterpated. Sports coaches should make no more than any professor at a university. It is obscene how much they make. If a professor's salary is to low to attract and retain a good coach, then raise the salary of the professor's salary until it would.

Silence_Dogood 5 years, 8 months ago

Less than they pay professors, police, firemen, schoolteachers, and social workers--people actually working to better society, not entertain it.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

"I'm sure you had a warm biscuit on your mind." PropsectorI ate two this morning.

missmagoo 5 years, 8 months ago

do you suppose it's just a coincidence the on the street people asked girl with the last name of sutton?

walkingonwater 5 years, 8 months ago

A million here and a million there, soon we're talking about real money.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

" 'Sepctor" there Bob? I hope you are not picking up some of our nine fingered girlfriend's traits. WinkI'm sure you had a warm biscuit on your mind.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Revised OTS question from the LJWorld editors:"How much do you think the moon is worth?"(okay, not really from the editors, but just as pointless and stupid as THIS OTS question)

Fangorn 5 years, 8 months ago

Tagger: Thanks for that additional information. I never knew that. It does alter the equation somewhat.I am of two minds here. I fully agree that we overvalue entertainment, including the "infotainment" that too much of what used to be called "news" has become. It is a sad commentary that we as a society are willing to pay a ballplayer (or a coach) millions a year, but will pay the firefighter who may risk their life to drag your unconscious form out of the inferno that used to be your house only a fraction of that. Our priorities are seriously messed up.On the other hand, a salary isn't simply a function of what value the job adds to the society. It is also determined by the pool of available people who have the necessary skills to do the job (or play the game) well. How many people have the skills to run an international corporation? Or play golf like a young man named for a large carnivorous cat? Or cut open your chest, repair/replace those clogged arteries and safely sew you shut afterwards?In this case, the basketball program brings in much more revenue to the university and to the city of Lawrence than his salary. And there aren't many people who can coach a team at this level. If anyone thinks his salary is too high, the only effective and consistent way to protest it is to stop buying tickets to KU basketball games ... or any Jayhawk basketball items ... or watching games on television (higher ratings mean higher ad revenues) ... or allowing your business to serve (and take money from) the many people who visit Lawrence for any of the above reasons. Your dollar is your vote, remember.

Clickker 5 years, 8 months ago

pay him what he is worth.And what he is worth is exactly what someone is willing to pay him.Sounds like that happened. Good for him

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

"Bob, I am waiting for the "Nobody likes basketball. Nobody." rant to be posted." 'SepctorMe too. Andini is falling asleep on the job.

bobberboy 5 years, 8 months ago

Less than the President of the United States.

yellowdot99 5 years, 8 months ago

Coach Bill does not work a 40 hour work week like the rest of us, he is working long hours between coaching, games, traveling for the team, doing many things that are involved with being a coach that we do not even know about. I bet if you asked his wife how many times he gets to sit down to a family dinner it would be very little. I think with all the extras the job comes with he probably needs more. I have never heard of him and his family taking a vacation and how many of us get them in every year.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

Chef's father, "Treefitty".It would have to be more than gymnastics and swimming would cost. Goooood justification for not having these programs.Bob, I am waiting for the "Nobody likes basketball. Nobody." rant to be posted.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

At least as much as the KU bowling coach.

Kevin Sontag 5 years, 8 months ago

Remember, KU is only paying Bill Self's salary- less than $300,000. The other $2.7mil a year, which is a benefits package for things like radio shows, special appearances, etc., are paid for by private backers. So for those who think the University is spending $3mil on a coach instead of more worthy endeavors, the actual number is less than 10% of that.Can't wait to see the '08-'09 team, Coach!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

I left my desktop calculator at home... can someone loan me one so I can add up how many millions of dollars Self has brought into this University? $3 million is peanuts.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

TOB moonlighting as Lulu? I think Self should make whatever someone is willing to pay him. I'm sure if someone offered me $3 mil, my ethics would take a leave of absence.

75x55 5 years, 8 months ago

As much as he can.Like it's anyone else's business.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

This money would have been better spent in funding programs that support Womyn's Rights. Sports are cruel and inhumane. KU should be ashamed of itself./Lulu

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 8 months ago

$100,000 sounds fair from where I sit.

purplesage 5 years, 8 months ago

This society over values entertainment and sports. Ball players. popular musicians, actors - anything in the realm of "celebrity" is over-paid.That said, Bill Self is a quality person, a class act and a great coach. In the environment I described above, sizeable salaries are how the best are retained. So what are you going to do? I can sure think of a lot of people I'd rather not see getting $3 million a year than the coach.I'd be pretty happy with $3 million for a career, not a year.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 8 months ago

"Couldn't agree more with Daniel.Our priorities are grossly misplaced."I guess you could pay somebody by what yahoos on the street arbitrarily think they're worth. Or we could use an actual metric -- you create an enormous amount of revenue, and you should be entitled to a portion of that. I much prefer the latter.

DonQuipunch 5 years, 8 months ago

Couldn't agree more with Daniel.Our priorities are grossly misplaced.

Paul R Getto 5 years, 8 months ago

"If he doesn't produce, fire him." Rest assured, they will.

jimjones 5 years, 8 months ago

120,000 and a hair club for men membership. Then add performance-based bonuses.If he doesn't produce, fire him.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 8 months ago

It doesn't matter how much we think he should make per year. He's got a new contract. $3 million +...