Previous   Next

How much do you think Bill Self should make per year as KU men’s basketball coach?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“I don’t know if I could come up with a good price. But whatever they’re paying him, it’s too much.”

“Two million a year. We’ve had a really strong program and buildup this far. I guess we’ll see how well he does recruiting and rebuilding the team this year after losing so many players.”

“I would say a million a year, but I’m sure he makes more than that.”

“Two million. He just won the championship, and I think that’s a typical salary for the top head coaches in college basketball.”

Related story

Comments

Clickker 6 years, 3 months ago

pay him what he is worth.And what he is worth is exactly what someone is willing to pay him.Sounds like that happened. Good for him

walkingonwater 6 years, 3 months ago

A million here and a million there, soon we're talking about real money.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 3 months ago

...as much as KU agreed to, not a penny more or less.

Marcus DeMond 6 years, 3 months ago

I think it should be performance based pay. You get paid for every game you win and nothing if you lose. The tougher the game, the more it's worth. If he lost every game, he gets $0 (and fired). He wins every game, he gets $4 million. We pay for what we get.Just my $.02Best of luck Bill. I am rooting for you all the way. Your worth every penny.

JayCat_67 6 years, 3 months ago

":same as God:not a penny more:"Hmmm.... I guess they could pass a collection plate around Allen Field House during the games...

Fangorn 6 years, 3 months ago

Tagger: Thanks for that additional information. I never knew that. It does alter the equation somewhat.I am of two minds here. I fully agree that we overvalue entertainment, including the "infotainment" that too much of what used to be called "news" has become. It is a sad commentary that we as a society are willing to pay a ballplayer (or a coach) millions a year, but will pay the firefighter who may risk their life to drag your unconscious form out of the inferno that used to be your house only a fraction of that. Our priorities are seriously messed up.On the other hand, a salary isn't simply a function of what value the job adds to the society. It is also determined by the pool of available people who have the necessary skills to do the job (or play the game) well. How many people have the skills to run an international corporation? Or play golf like a young man named for a large carnivorous cat? Or cut open your chest, repair/replace those clogged arteries and safely sew you shut afterwards?In this case, the basketball program brings in much more revenue to the university and to the city of Lawrence than his salary. And there aren't many people who can coach a team at this level. If anyone thinks his salary is too high, the only effective and consistent way to protest it is to stop buying tickets to KU basketball games ... or any Jayhawk basketball items ... or watching games on television (higher ratings mean higher ad revenues) ... or allowing your business to serve (and take money from) the many people who visit Lawrence for any of the above reasons. Your dollar is your vote, remember.

yellowdot99 6 years, 3 months ago

Coach Bill does not work a 40 hour work week like the rest of us, he is working long hours between coaching, games, traveling for the team, doing many things that are involved with being a coach that we do not even know about. I bet if you asked his wife how many times he gets to sit down to a family dinner it would be very little. I think with all the extras the job comes with he probably needs more. I have never heard of him and his family taking a vacation and how many of us get them in every year.

gccs14r 6 years, 3 months ago

No one is worth a million a year. No one. Sports coaches shouldn't make as much as professors, because they provide less value to a university. Administrators shouldn't make as much as professors, either, because they're not doing the heavy lifting of research and education. Humanities professors should make the most, because truth without beauty is heartless and knowledge without wisdom is dangerous. The sciences teach you how to do. Humanities teach you how to be. Sports teaches you that academics don't matter if you have popular physical talents. That's a mindset that should not be rewarded.

jaywalker 6 years, 3 months ago

Once again, Logicsound, you made me laugh out loud. Couldn't agree more.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, what ever Daniel says. If fact, just come over and read out of the phone book. He is so hot! My goodness, I'm all twitterpated. Sports coaches should make no more than any professor at a university. It is obscene how much they make. If a professor's salary is to low to attract and retain a good coach, then raise the salary of the professor's salary until it would.

oldvet 6 years, 3 months ago

"Sports coaches should make no more than any professor at a university."There are a heck of a lot more un/under- employed PhD's out there than people capable of coaching an NCAA D-1 national championship team... you can hire another professor for your university from a deep pool of talent...

PapaB 6 years, 3 months ago

Tomorrow's Question: "If the moon was made of spare ribs, would you eat it?"

purplesage 6 years, 3 months ago

This society over values entertainment and sports. Ball players. popular musicians, actors - anything in the realm of "celebrity" is over-paid.That said, Bill Self is a quality person, a class act and a great coach. In the environment I described above, sizeable salaries are how the best are retained. So what are you going to do? I can sure think of a lot of people I'd rather not see getting $3 million a year than the coach.I'd be pretty happy with $3 million for a career, not a year.

missmagoo 6 years, 3 months ago

do you suppose it's just a coincidence the on the street people asked girl with the last name of sutton?

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

If you want to see a coach who is extremely overpaid, then check out Bonnie Henrickson. She hasn't done a thing, but she's sure getting her raises. At least Self is earning his salary.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 3 months ago

"Couldn't agree more with Daniel.Our priorities are grossly misplaced."I guess you could pay somebody by what yahoos on the street arbitrarily think they're worth. Or we could use an actual metric -- you create an enormous amount of revenue, and you should be entitled to a portion of that. I much prefer the latter.

basil 6 years, 3 months ago

Um, a bazillion.But only if my favorite English prof and Bio prof make 2 bazillion each.

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 3 months ago

Remember, KU is only paying Bill Self's salary- less than $300,000. The other $2.7mil a year, which is a benefits package for things like radio shows, special appearances, etc., are paid for by private backers. So for those who think the University is spending $3mil on a coach instead of more worthy endeavors, the actual number is less than 10% of that.Can't wait to see the '08-'09 team, Coach!

volunteer 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure this should factor in, but the bar proprietors in town tell me they made good money due to the success of the ball clubs last year. I like Coach Self's lack of arrogance and that he doesn't refer to himself in the third person. But in general, I'll go along with those who say he is worth whatever the market bears.

Fangorn 6 years, 3 months ago

gayokay: While I agree that higher salaries could help recruit and retain better professors, it still comes back to the number of people with the skills necessary to do the job. If the number of people who are capable of being college professors was matched by an equal number of people who could coach a basketball team at the championship level like Bill Self does, then basketball coaches' salaries would be a lot lower. If more people could throw like Brett Favre, then NFL quarterbacks would make a lot less. It's simply a supply and demand issue, and this directly concerns the supply side of the equation.

samsnewplace 6 years, 3 months ago

It amazes me the price tag all colleges and state universities put on sports. High school awards given during a graduation ceremony are fully geared for scholarships to the athlete's. I don't feel anyone is worth $3 million, or $2 million or $1 million! That is not reality.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh, good news folks. My vigilant hunt for Andromechian Roach People has potentially uncovered another infiltrator. If you recall, my agency has uncovered two probable ARPs, one the President of the TV advertised Art Institute, the other the lady in most of the Spangles commercials. The warning was put out by members of the community on Katie Horner, George Stephanopolous, and a general suspicion regarding nail salon workers. Details and minutes available here. http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2006/dec/21/mos_snow/Now, I believe that we have located a new ARP: the lady in the Lipozene commercials. Video available here:http://www.lipozene.com/This is perhaps the most confirmable ARP to date, I believe. A poorly constructed exterior shell, improper focus of the visual apparatus, and jerky, disconnected physical actions. As always, maintain vigilance.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

TOB moonlighting as Lulu? I think Self should make whatever someone is willing to pay him. I'm sure if someone offered me $3 mil, my ethics would take a leave of absence.

humblecommentator 6 years, 3 months ago

under the system he's paid right but if i were a hard-working kus prof (rare) in another field i'd be upset

otto 6 years, 3 months ago

Nothing - he should do it for the love of the game and of course the children.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 3 months ago

Goldstein says, "whatever they're paying him, it's too much." What a buffoon! He readily admits that he has no idea how much self gets paid, but he says it is too much. Get a clue, Goldstein! Why is it that some people hate those who are successful?

VTHawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Lots of people are worth $1M per year. Some are worth $0 per year. Self has contributed greatly to the Lawrence economy, as well as to the image of the University and State, so he is worth every penny of the $3M. Now, if only someone would pay me $3M per year...

dwhiteley 6 years, 3 months ago

Let us not forget that most universities are seats of professional athletics, which as a side-light, attempt to provide a minimal educational program. KU is no exception and has recently become one of the leaders in this pack. I'm told that universities used to sponsor athletic programs as an opportunity for their students to broaden their education through teamwork and competition. Now universities sponsor athletics for the $ and the publicity and the students get the opportunity to broaden their education through body painting.