Previous   Next

What do you look forward to most about school starting?

Browse the archives

“Getting to see all of the friends I didn’t get to see over the summer.”

“Doing drumline in marching band, but not much else.”

“Seeing all my friends, and I like shopping for new clothes. And I guess getting my brain running again isn’t a bad thing.”

“Finding out all of my new classes and who is in them.”

Comments

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

alm, last year, I returned to college after twent....a long time......only have one class each semester, but I loved it. I am taking more classes each semester now, and wish I had the yearn to learn when I was younger like I have now. Since I have a kid starting college and two in high school, I feel guilty spending money on my education, but they tell me not to. i wish i could go full time, but I really can't afford to. And yes, I feel old sitting in a class with teenagers, sometimes being older than the faculty, but I really enjoy the challenge. I still call my mom and tell her my grades. Actually, I will tell any family that will listen...Good luck to you and hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

alm77 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas, ask lots of questions. Pass around things that pertain to the class (pictures, objects, whatever). Get them involved!! That'll keep them awake. Maybe you should bring in a coffee pot and cups... ;) I'm looking forward to quieter days between the hours of 8AM and 3PM. I'm also looking forward to going back to college for the first time in 10 years. Wish me luck.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas, can there really be any 18 or 19 year old kids up at 8 am? It must be a brave new world. Maybe start class with 10 minutes of Tai Chi.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

multiD: I was thinking more along the lines of an air-horn.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

joans, I recommend keeping a stack of heavy books on your desk. It may not motivate them, but at least you can wake them up.Mr. Roth used to use a fire extinguisher on students asleep at their desk.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh, definitely my 8:00a TR lecture class in Eastern Civ. Hopefully the fact that this time I'm the one lecturing will make it go a little faster than the one where I just had to listen. But it's gonna be fun, trying to motivate freshmen and sophomores at 8.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Dodging kids in the street. I live across from an elementary that is the bus collection and drop off point for the city. Parents drop off kids on the wrong side of the street and the don't tend to pay much attention. With the sun in your face early in the morning, one must be very careful.

KSManimal 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm looking forward to having a building principal who views teacher's as assets rather than liabilities.